humidity & hair

bnsilly

I have naturally curly hair and I like to straigthen it. We are going to the Bahamas in August and I'm also a lil scared about how my hair will look.

Don't even bother trying to straighten your hair. it will not stay - that is if you plan on getting off the boat or going on deck. The humidity is too fierce for us fuzzy people. The frizz ease products mentioned are OK - I especially like the one named "wind down". I comb this through my wet hair, let it sit a minute then add a small amount of gel. Comb into the style you want and let it air dry.

I would not use a mousse because they are alcohol based - which will dry your hair - adding to the frizzies.

Also, bring a pretty headband, in the humidity our hair curls around prettily while it holds the hair out of our face.

I have short, wavy hair. I get a good haircut just before the cruise. I wake up in the morning and give it a few licks with a roller brush, walk out into the wind and humidity and let it fly. I ignore it until the end of the day.

Before supper I wash and blow it dry, use a lot of gel and hairspray, and it looks good until bedtime.

My hair is relatively short, naturally wavy. My hairdresser doesn't believe anyone shuold fight her hair, and is very good at giving me a do i can do. I can blow it straight or scrunch it curly with my hands when I'm drying it.

On a ski trip, I blow it as smooth as possible, because that works better under an earband or hat.

In Florida or the Caribbean, I embrace the curl and scrunch away.

Just back from our Jewel cruise and before I left my stylist recommended a product that turned out to be the most awesome ever for me. My hair is color processed and 1/2 grown out of japanese straightener. So i have frizzy curly top and flat limp bottom. Yuk.

This is what I used - Wella System Professional Sun Line. During the day I sprayed in the Sunshine Cream Spray to protect. I pulled my hair back and had a nice sleek look with a hint of control. It held up beautifully in the sun, swimming and in the wind.

Before dinner, I would wash (or sometime rinse only) and put in the Sunset Express Cream. What an intense conditioner...That stuff is amazing. Styling was a breeze and my hair held up really well .. even after a breezy after dinner stroll around deck. After sleeping on it, it was sometimes tousled but I could just hit it with the blow dryer again to smooth or use the spray again for my deck time. Many times I just brushed it out and went to breakfast with no fuss at all. This is the best I have found yet for cruising. :)

http://*****.com/nfu4o

I agree with Rev...the best thing for dealing with humidity is just to let your hair grow long. Mine is curly/wavy, and down to my waist, and all I do is wash and condition, then scrunch in a good amount of mousse, and off I go. Couldn't be easier. For a long time I wore it much shorter, and it was so much more work to keep it looking good! That's why I always grin when a woman comes up to me and says, "Oh, you have such beautiful long hair, but I bet it's a terrible pain to take care of!";)

I agree with Rev...the best thing for dealing with humidity is just to let your hair grow long. Mine is curly/wavy, and down to my waist.....

I have no doubt that it works for you and I'm sure your hair looks lovely that way. However, I really don't think that suggesting people grow their hair to their waist, in order to avoid frizz, is much of a suggestion.

I have no doubt that it works for you and I'm sure your hair looks lovely that way. However, I really don't think that suggesting people grow their hair to their waist, in order to avoid frizz, is much of a suggestion.

Exactly! Especially if you have life-long fine, thin, straight-but-wavy-in-humidity hair like me. Those Wella products look good.

I wasn't suggesting that to anyone. I was just pointing out that sometimes longer hair (not necessarily waist-length) is a little easier to style than short hair. That's all.:p

I wasn't suggesting that to anyone. I was just pointing out that sometimes longer hair (not necessarily waist-length) is a little easier to style than short hair. That's all.:p

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but when you advise........

"the best thing for dealing with humidity is just to let your hair grow long"

that's what it sounds like to me.

Ohhhhh, I'm so jealous of all of you!!! Frizzy hair just sounds thick and curly or wavy. (Sigh) I guess I'll just have to stick to my short haircut that incidentally, thrives in humidity. Why do we always want something different??????:(

Esther

LOL. My last cruise (20+ years ago) I got my waist-length hair corn-rowed on the beach with the beads and everything, like Bo Derek in "Ten." It lasted the whole week - and a good week and a half after I got back too. Sure was a hit at the office. A few years back, I cut off a foot and a half and love my Esther-ish short hair. Now, with the cruise approaching, I'm wishing I had my long hair back. Well, it will be interesting to see if my short hair will thrive like Esther's does in the humidity. :rolleyes:

Where do they sell Wella???

I get Wella products at Sally Beauty Supply, and, yes, "regular people" (not stylists) can shop there. I don't know if they carry these particular products, but I know they carry Wella hair coloring.

Good luck!

Anni

I have just the opposite problem from most of you! I have very, very, very straight hair that just flat on the top of my head and as my dh says after I get wet, I look like a drowned rat! It is not flattering at all.

I found a really great hairspray that I use for trips to Florida - Therapro - but that won't help at all on an island excursion.

So I am thinking of having my stylist give me a body perm or something. But, timing I guess will have to be right for color, etc. Has anyone tried that? I have chin length hair and really don't want to go short again.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Archived