Celebrity Edge July 24, 2021 Sailing Mini Review

sail2day

Let me begin by saying that I am an experienced Celebrity cruiser and love the cruise line. I have cruised on the Millennium, Solstice and now the Edge class of vessels. I boarded the Edge in this post-pandemic world that we now live in not knowing what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised that on board the vessel very little has changed. None of the passengers wear masks, nor most of the crew. It seemed that life was back to normal.   

I was impressed with the Martini Bar and the main lobby. It was the hub of the ship during the cruise. Everything entertainment wise centered around this area during the 7 days we were on the vessel.

Let me compare and contrast the positive and negatives of both class of vessels:

• The Edge had an amazing lobby and Martini Bar that became the central part of the entertainment for the entire cruise
  • The Infinite Veranda in our cabin was something that I grew to love because it added square footage to our room. If you opened the window and the humidity did cloud the mirrors and warmed the room to an uncomfortable temperature. This was something that we lived with during the cruise.
  • The Sunset Bar on the Edge was poorly designed. You would think that with the greatest designers in the industry they would take into account the sun, especially in the Caribbean. The bar was so hot due to the sun that no passenger would remain at the bar for longer than 10 minutes. All they would have to do is put a tint on the plexiglass and things would improve. Nothing has been done even though the ship has been sailing for several years. One needs to take a look at the bar to see that there is no shade whatsoever. Not only are the passengers uncomfortable but so is the crew. 
  • The four different dining rooms on the Edge add variety and choice for the passengers. This is much better than the one dining room concept on the Solstice Class.
  • The main theater is much better on the Edge than the Solstice Class. The tech features and the "theater in the round" are cutting Edge. Pardon the pun.
  • Eden on the Edge I just didn't get. Maybe it was me. I think I spent a total of 10 minutes in the venue. It needs work and a re-do.
  • The shops on the Edge blew my wife away. She loved them!
  • The Club on the Edge I loved!
  • The Pool area was the highlight of our cruise. The largest pool that I have seen on a cruise ship. Also the only pool with a large shallow area encircling the entire pool. We spent many hours here and loved the music and the atmosphere. 
  • The food on the Edge was above and beyond, except in the Oceanview Café. I found breakfast to be what we normally expect, but dinner was not good. Gone are the sushi days when they would prepare freshly made sushi rolls and Indian specialties. The food offerings were lackluster. 
  • The A La Carte Restaurants were good. I went to Raw on 5 and had the best meal of the cruise.
  • All in all, the Edge has a nicer and more modern atmosphere than the Solstice Class. Yet there are so many things I missed from the Equinox and the Reflection. In a perfect world I would blend both. 
  • Like 4

Nice summary!  I agree with your assessment of the Sunset Bar and the lack of shade.  I felt it was a problem in several spots on the ship.  I don’t understand why they would design a ship with so little access to shade.  We were in a SS and had access to the Retreat and it was the same there. 

Our previous Edge cruise was in an infinite balcony and we didn’t enjoy it.  But we did love the idea of the four different dining rooms.  It kept meals much more interesting and it was nice to not be in a gigantic dining room.

glad you enjoyed your trip.  We did, too!

• Like 2