No Pier Testing: Do The Cruise Lines Want To Lose More Money/Customers?

atexsix

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Possibly from other places in the world where you would be required to test negative in order to get back into the US. I don't think they apply to US-based cruising. 

HAL is notoriously slow to update their info. Most of that was released when Alaska cruises were still a dream for 2021, I think.

Ah, I was not aware of that, I thought Worry Free was more recent.  

After spending all morning on this, I do feel better about it.  So thank you everybody for being patient with a chronic worry wart like me.  

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 2:34 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Possibly from other places in the world where you would be required to test negative in order to get back into the US. I don't think they apply to US-based cruising. 

HAL is notoriously slow to update their info. Most of that was released when Alaska cruises were still a dream for 2021, I think.

If you are COVID positive you can’t just get on a plane and fly home.  It shouldn’t be a question of regulation, it is simply morally wrong to expose other passengers. Who would do that?

17 minutes ago, sleslie said:

If you are COVID positive you can’t just get on a plane and fly home.  It shouldn’t be a question of regulation, it is simply morally wrong to expose other passengers. Who would do that?

I'm not sure I follow what you are suggesting....?

Currently cruise ships do not test passengers at the end of the cruise unless the passenger requires it for onward travel. US passengers returning from an Alaska cruise (where they never "left" the US) are not required to have such a test.  Are you suggesting that they should voluntarily test themselves again prior to flying home? Otherwise there is no way that they would know if they are COVID-positive.

I am certainly not suggesting that anyone who knows they are COVID-positive should travel.  But isn't that what would happen if the cruise lines tested people at embarkation?  Think of how many people may be flying across the US to get on board a ship in Florida or Seattle, only to test positive at the port. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm not sure I follow what you are suggesting....?

Currently cruise ships do not test passengers at the end of the cruise unless the passenger requires it for onward travel. US passengers returning from an Alaska cruise (where they never "left" the US) are not required to have such a test.  Are you suggesting that they should voluntarily test themselves again prior to flying home? Otherwise there is no way that they would know if they are COVID-positive.

I am certainly not suggesting that anyone who knows they are COVID-positive should travel.  But isn't that what would happen if the cruise lines tested people at embarkation?  Think of how many people may be flying across the US to get on board a ship in Florida or Seattle, only to test positive at the port. 

My point is regarding tests done just prior to embarkation at the port city.  There certainly will be people who test positive at the port and therefore won’t be able to embark onto the cruise (the cruise line is requiring testing precisely to keep them off) or be able to fly home until they test negative.  It is primarily this risk (I have not found any insurance to cover it) that is leading us to decide to cancel our TA from Amsterdam.