Help choose Baltic cruise

SYD-YYZ

I am looking at going on a Baltic cruise in July and have narrow down the choices to either HAL Amsterdam (10 day) or HAL Rotterdam (12 day) or the Oceania Insignia (14 day). Do these sail through the Stockholm Archipelago? Also are prices likely to go down if I book 2-3 months prior to the cruise? We are looking at staying in an inside cabin.

I am looking at going on a Baltic cruise in July and have narrow down the choices to either HAL Amsterdam (10 day) or HAL Rotterdam (12 day) or the Oceania Insignia (14 day). Do these sail through the Stockholm Archipelago? Also are prices likely to go down if I book 2-3 months prior to the cruise? We are looking at staying in an inside cabin.

Have you considered Celebrity, which is our favorite cruise line? We are taking a 14 night Baltic Cruise on the Constellation this summer.

I second Sky Sweet's suggestion to consider Celebrity if you're looking at HAL and Oceania. Celebrity is our favorite cruiseline overall. The Constellation is a beautiful ship with stellar service. That said, we're booked on the Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas for a Baltic cruise in August, as they were the best combination of price, schedule, and itinerary for us at the time we were choosing. According to everything I read, Royal Caribbean is not really in the same class as HAL, Oceania, or Celebrity, but the Jewel is supposed to be one of their nicest ships with the best service and this trip is more about the ports than the ship, for us at least.

To your question about waiting, Baltic prices only seem to go up, not down, as the date approaches. So I'd suggest making your choice and booking now rather than taking a chance that prices will drop later on.

The Connie does not fit into our dates hence not on our list. The Century however is also a consideration although I don't think it covers as many ports. We have also considered RCI's Jewel of the Seas but it seems a bit pricey and I think the cheaper cabins are all booked out already.

The itinerary just says Stockholm but not the archipelago on the HAL website. I heard some of the ships are too big to go through it.

I sailed through the Stockholm archipelago on the MS Rotterdam last July. It was one of the highlights of the trip to be in the dining room and see tiny dotted rocks with one cabin on each a mere 30 feet from the hull. I know the Star Princess can't do this so I'm glad I chose the MS Rotterdam.

There is a site which indicates where the ships dock in Stockholm and all Baltic Ports for that matter but I can't remember the link right now. Just know that if the ship docks at Nynashamn you're missing out on some great scenery.

Last summer I think the only cruise lines that did not go all the way through the archipelago into Stockholm were Princess and P&O, who docked in Nynäshamn instead.

I think it is a real disadvantage for their passengers. Not only do they miss seeing the archipelago, but they also loose a lot of time having to travel all the way to Stockholm and then back to the ship again.

We did the Baltic trip last summer with Oceania and loved it. Big plus, 3 days in St. Petersburg. (We booked a private tour with DenRus and did tours for all three days, Catherine's Palace, Peterfhof, Yusopov's Palace, Hermitage, Church on Spilled Blood etc.).

We sailed in through the Archipelago (which if you live in Ontario, Canada, will remind you a lot of Muskoka). It is very beautiful. If you have the choice, I would do the London (Dover) to Stockholm instead of the Stockholm to Dover. The reason is suggest this is because you do St. Petersburg near the end of your trip. For us it was truly the highlight.

While the food on Oceania is fantastic, and the specialty dining rooms are no additional charge, it was the awesome itinerary that sold us.\

Elin

Have you considered Celebrity, which is our favorite cruise line? We are taking a 14 night Baltic Cruise on the Constellation this summer.

We took it last year and had a great time. Check out my pictures.

Last year, my wife and I were booked with my parents on a Celebrity cruise out of Dover into the Baltic. We opted out after we decided that we couldn't really afford that many days away from the job.

When a good price for the Princess cruise out of Copenhagen came up, we leaped at the opportunity and were happy. Besides fewer sea days and fewer days overall, we were able to fly into Copenhagen a couple of days earlier and see more of that city. We'd already been to England, so more time in Denmark was an added attraction. We had a great time.

FWIW, my parents also had a terrific time on their Celebrity cruise. They are longtime cruisers and felt that the service and food were better on Celebrity than on Princess.

Archived