Princess comparison

Nextholiday?

I'm a Celebrity fan but frequent Princess as well. Back in the 1980s, there were 3 lines sailing AK waters - Princess, Holland America, and Regency. I was on Regency b'c it was the least expensive. Glacier Bay is a must see for a first-timer. I had been to AK numerous times but my partner's first time, we sailed the Pacific Princess - a small ship that did Glacier Bay. (In order to sail the National Park, the cruise line obtains a National Park permit. Not many are available so only a few cruise lines secured them. Princess is one of them.) On my partner's 2nd cruise to AK, we sailed Celebrity as there was no reason not to since Glacier Bay was already off the list. I find the food comparable on X and Princess.

Personally, I look at the itinerary, port times, ship size/configuration, cabin/balcony size and then cost before making a decision. I demand a balcony especially for Alaska and want  "overhang" incase the weather is inclement. The smaller the ship, the better as far as I'm concerned! I like intimate vs. largess.

I am 66; my partner is now 73. I rank my lines:

1. Celebrity (aka X) - I think of it as understated sophisticated but not stuffy

2. Princess - all around goodness

3. RCCL (if I'm bringing elementary school kids with me)

4. NCL (Pearl to AK said to be good but that was a few years ago)

5. HAL (when I'm in my 80s I might sail on them again)

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nomadguy said:

5. HAL (when I'm in my 80s I might sail on them again)

The newest HAL ships have a quite different on board experience than the older ships had in the past.

There is plenty of evening entertainment, usually more live entertainment than Princess currently has, over a variety of music genres.

However their production shows are no longer like the ones on Princess. Basically a set of dancers to recorded music. No singing.

And you can prepare for the cruise through the HAL web site, no phone app required to get ready to cruise.

On 9/1/2021 at 12:27 AM, donaldsc said:

One final thing that I could not add because I ran out of editing time.  Everyone buys souvenirs on their AK trip.  You have to decide whether you want a true "made in Alaska" souvenir or a "made in China"  AK souvenir.  This site will enable you to determine what you are looking at - https://www.travelalaska.com/Planning/Tips/Made-in-Alaska.aspx.  .  Support the local businesses if possible.  Considering what is going on with local AK businesses, they need all the help that we can give them.

That is the end of my preaching.

DON

Thank you so much for all the info. It is appreciated very much 

On 9/1/2021 at 2:29 AM, disneyochem said:

I think post #12 means Skagway instead of Sitka?   Most inside passage cruises do not go to Sitka.  We really like visiting Sitka.

Have cruised to Alaska on Disney, NCL and Princess.  Princess does Alaska well!  As previous noted, it’s the ports that make an Alaskan cruise!  We tend not to be so concerned about the bells and whistles on board because our focus while in Alaska is Alaska!  Princess has a nice enrichment program —ax throwing, lumberjacks, nature talks, music, puppies on board, totem craving, regional dishes and drinks.  

Compare ports and the time spent in each port.  Glacier Bay is a plus on any itinerary!  Keep in mind that the days are long in Alaska so even if you arrive late, you should be able to do fun stuff.  It’s been my experience that the local tours adjust their schedules to coordinate with the ship’s arrival.

We really enjoy cruising with Princess.  It fits out cruising style!  We’re fairly active mid to late 50 year olds who enjoy good music and wine.  We don’t find the atmosphere “stuffy.”

Thank you so much for the info.  Yes you are right if we end up doing Alaska it will be for Alaska not the ship.