Anyone want to lose 15 to 20 pounds?

Kudos2Fly

i want to lose 10-15 lbs before my cruise in october. ive managed to lose 15 in the past year due to stress and not having a car i think. not sure. either way i had to start wearing a belt. its sorta encouraged me to try to lose more though. want to be able to wear a bathing suit without thinking i am scaring people. :P 155 lbs now.. and going to the caribbean.

i want to lose 10-15 lbs before my cruise in october. ive managed to lose 15 in the past year due to stress and not having a car i think. not sure. either way i had to start wearing a belt. its sorta encouraged me to try to lose more though. want to be able to wear a bathing suit without thinking i am scaring people. :P 155 lbs now.. and going to the caribbean.

I'm sure you'll lose that before your cruise!

But don't worry so much about your size on your cruise - whether or not you lose all the wieght you want! Make sure your bathing suit (& other clothes) fit properly and you'll look great. I don't care how much a person weighs, if they wear clothes that are snug or too baggy, they always look heavier than they really are. I've got 2 lovely wraps I wear around my waist (to cover my legs!) when I'm on the ship (or on the beach). Then, when I hit the deck chair to tan - off it comes.

I've got pix of me on 3 cruises (each one smaller than the last!) & the only pix I really don't like from each cruise are the ones where I made poor clothes choices!

Good luck!

Sha

Some good posting here with sensible ideas for weight loss.

Last year I lost 27 pounds on the diabetic low carb diet - my fear was gaining it all back on the cruise. Here is what I did and only gained back 2 pounds in 50 days.

Walked 5 to 8 km a day every day.

Breakfast: 1 hard boiled egg, yoghurt, fruit and toast

lunch: salad, crusty roll and small piece of meat

Dinner: everything except salty soups

yes, I ate a small dessert at lunch and dinner

If I went to the high tea and indulged I walked even more

AFter the first week I got past the psychology of eating too much just because it was there. I left the chocolate alone as that is a trigger for me and makes me ravenous. The grandkids just loved all the pillow chocolates!

Interesting - when we ate at the first officer's table I noticed that he and his wife ate only the meat in the main course - nothing else at all. I guess they have their own methods of weight control as both were very slim.

Now I have to get busy and lose more - it is so hard to get the last pounds off. :(

Juanita, I'm doing the low carb diet also, and it's working for me. 18 pounds in 3 months, but working out has given me a great shape, better than I've had in years.

On the cruise, I expect to gain a few pounds. I just don't want to end up with 8-10 pounds :eek: that I have to take back off.

I plan on having protein at every meal, and getting several entrees with dinner and eating just the meats. I know I'll have the desserts and breads, but hey, it's a vacation! For exercise, I plan on taking the stairs from the Riviera deck every day, and trying to get a few miles of running in. We'll be swimming a lot and snorkeling, so I hope that will help.

Hey all!

Weighed in last night - lost 2.75 in the last 2wks - not sure how I did it - still haven't made it to the gym 5x in a wk yet (probably won't until after the end of April either!) :( I'm still not eating totally right - been doing OK during the day - then snacking too much after supper! ALso need to buy more fruits & veggies!

I'm glad I have to write down how I do here! Keeps me accoutable!

Sha

Hi folks,

I wish I'd found this board a couple months ago. Hubby & I are sailing on the Elation April 30th and I've been struggling to loss 20 pounds since we booked in January - unfortunately with very little success.

I was following the zone diet for a month, but didn't see the scale budge at all. I think I need to go back to weight watchers or something. Only 4 weeks to go. What is everyone doing to get in shape for your cruise?

Hi everyone and glad this post is taking off again. We just got back from a 4 day cruise and although I walked constantly and did visit the gym 1 day I still put on 4 lbs. I'm pretty sure it will come off quickly since I plan on going back to basics starting tomorrow.

Even though i have more than 20 lbs to lose I enjoy this thread and love reading the encouraging words by all.

Debbie

hi all!

well, i hoped to be back into a good routine after last week, but it seems that i jinxed myself when i posted elsewhere that i was ready to get back into the swing of things...maybe i'll try some reverse psychology - i'm posting that i hope that i won't make it to the gym 5 times this week!!!:D

jocey

Hi Kim! Thanks!

Hi Debs - Sorry to hear you're having a hard time losing. You didn't give much detail, but consider that you might not have portion sizes under control. :confused: Many people (including myself) are shocked when they find out how much (or how little) 4oz of meat is, or 1 tablespoon of oil, etc.

Or, there's the opposite extreme - sometimes less is NOT better! If you undereat to the extreme (less than 1200 cal/day) your metabolism slows down & won't let you burn those calories!

Also - make sure that you increase your activity level. Even if you only add 30 min of walking 3x wk - that can really boost weight loss!

Hi Debbie - I gained about 4-5 lbs on my cruise and only have about 1lb to go to get back to pre-cruise weight. Did the same as you - went to the gym only 1x, but walked ALL the time (never took the elevators). But that food was just too good! And next time, I really have to watch those liquid calories - they just go down toooo quickly & easily!;)

Hi jocey - it's not luck or jinxes :p - write your plan down on your calendar with all your other important things & commit to it! Your workouts (time for YOU) are just as important as anything else on your schedule! If your sched HAS to change, remember - a 15 min walk is better than no workout at all!

Hi to everyone else!

Sha

sha - thanks for the advice! i don't really have a problem scheduling the exercise in (and i actually love going to the gym - call me crazy!!!) but it seems that things just keep popping up at the most inconvenient of times. not to mention that they changed the gym schedule for the spring season, so now i need to re-incorporate that into my week! things should be settled by the end of the week, though - thank goodness!

jocey

Sha, thanks for the encouragement and I did take the steps alot and still put that much on. Yes there was a lot of liquid refreshments and I ate desserts which I never do but the food was so good on this trip. Out of all our cruises to date this trip had to have the best food which of course is my downfall.:D

On a positive note I started exercising yesterday and plan on going 2 more times this week and even signed up for a tummy, tush tightening group (this should be a hoot).

Debbie

jocey - don't you hate it when the gym doesn't take your schedule into account when they change theirs? How inconsiderate! :rolleyes:

Debbie - LOVE the sound of that class! I like taking classes when I can get them to fit into my schedule (there's that word again!) It makes me work a little harder & longer than if I was doing the same type of exercises on my own.

My fave classes at the gym are on Tues - a "flex" class (sort of a misnomer - free weights & leg & floor exercises) & a Pilates class - but because of the community theatre show I'm in - we rehearse on Tues eves. :( So I swap an evening of exercise for sitting in chairs learning music!

Starting in May, I'm hoping to take a 6wk ballroom dancing class, but again it's on Tues eve! But at least that will be exercise! :D

Sha

Dancing is great exercise. My husband and I did some dancing lessons. We did some private and group dance lessons. Now we at least know what we are doing. :) We still have two more hours to do.

Well we are going to the airshow tomorrow. One of our neighbors is bumming a right from us. We should enjoy the flt down. Its going to be great weather tomorrow.

Anyways, as for my weight. I'm up a pound. I'm not being hard on my self right now. What I need to do is set a date of when I want to have the weight off. Since I don't have anything fun schedule like a trip. I need to set my our goal date.

I think this weekend I'll set a date and start back to my work out schedule. I'm still doing my 1 hr. walk. At least we are still doing that. I'll let everyone know what my plan is to lose that weight.

Kim

ok! i feel like i am getting back into the swing of things now...giant losses, here i come!!!

sha - amazingly enough, when the gym decided to change to the schedule for spring they cut out some classes on weekday evenings at 5:30pm and added classes on the weekends. :( they reason that people won't want to go to classes after work when the weather is nice...unfortunately, i am the opposite - about the only time i get to see my hubby is on the weekend...and i would much rather go to the gym on a weeknight after work and do my gardening and such on the weekends when i have the whole day to spend in the yard and not just a couple of hours before it gets dark after work! i think i am going to keep complaining and hopefully they will reinstate at least one of the 5:30 classes!

debbie - i've always known i'm crazy...it usually takes others a little while to figure that out!:D seriously, though - when i'm finished working out i feel so good that i wonder why i didn't start sooner!

kim - have fun at the airshow! i hope that the weather is nice for you! and good luck with setting a goal for yourself - i know that if i didn't have goals that i would just be stuck where i am right now....actually, i probably wouldn't have started losing at all!

jocey

jocey - me too! I'd rather work out after work during the week at the gym & save my weekends for my BF or outdoor stuff like bike riding. In the 18+ months I've been a member of this gym - I think I've been on Saturday 2-3x time & 1x on a Sunday!

Debbie - my BF took a ballroom class way back in his early 20's (he's now 46). I've never officially taken ballroom dance, but I've learned some "choreographed" dances (with partners & group) in the 25 yrs I've been in a community theatre group. I just think it's time I take "official" lessons! My BF is on the fence right now, but I have a friend from my group who may come with me if he won't!

kim - have a great time!

Hi to everyone else!

Sha

Jocey & Sha, your right, after I work out I do feel so much better but it's getting myself there. Actually I've been very good the past month and have made it at least 2 times during the week and sometimes early Sat & Sun. I like going early in the am on the weekend, Jeff sleeps in and I get up early, half the time he doesn't even notice I'm gone until I come back:D .

Kim, do you participate in the air shows or just like following them? We go to the one at McGuire AFB when they have it. Last year they had a great one so I hope they have it again this year.

Debbie

well, lent is over and i'm posting the results of what i wanted to accomplish - i was not too bad, but am not exactly where i wanted to be...i'll just have to try harder now that lent is over!

1) i wanted to lose 10 lbs...i ended up losing 8 lbs and i am happy with that - but i am losing those last 2, plus some before i cruise!

2) laundry room to be painted...done!

3) basement to be unpacked and cleaned...it is unpacked and half cleaned - we need more shelving but have run out of $$ for that right now

4) accumulate 100 miles at the gym...i am at 50 miles right now - but i did pick up 3 classes at the gym that i didn't used to go to, so my cardio on the machines has dropped some, but i've picked it up in cardio during the classes. i'm going to find my pedometer and strap it on for the classes so that i can count class time as well!

jocey

Jeepers - No I don't get involved with the airshow. But when I was in the area it was easy to do so but it never worked out. Its a week long airshow, second largest in the country. Oshkosh being the largest in the US. We flew in there with 2-3 thousands other people. I flew in to the airport a week before and everyone was setting up then. Its a big deal to aviation people.

elotfan - I have a question what is lent?

Now for a update.

Back in August my husband and I had our cholesterol check. His was 288 and mine was 224! We where shocked to say the least. But we also had been on the Adtkins diet for about 3 years. Plus with building the house we grilled out every night with steak and pork or other faty foods. Not much you can do living in a camper...

We had just started eating organic back in Aug 05. We cut out all steak and pork. Which I thought I would miss. But I haven't missed it one bit. We eat fish, chicken and some ground beef.

Now its Feb

My cholesterol is 179 and my husbands in 174 lower then mine! But both our cholersterols are in the normal range.

This week I will be getting together a plan for me to lose weight. This cholesterol thing was a win for us.

Kim

Kim

I know about the high cholesterol - mine was up to 279 :eek: at one point - I brought it down with diet & exercise, too. (It was down to about 214 in a few months after only losing about 15-20lbs & starting going to the gym.) I got it all the way down to 170 something & last I checked it was more like 184. This is even more amazing, since practically every adult member of my family - even my slim brother who is very active, takes some sort of cholesterol lowering drug. I'm living proof that you can do it with just diet & exercise. I also know if I was even more diligent, I could probably drop it lower. (In that "perfect world"....)

About grilling - don't let the fact that you cook on a grill or in a camper limit your food choices. You can grill ANYTHING. Or at least cook anything on a grill. My BF cooks out on our grill at home almost every night. (We don't have a stove or regular oven indoors - just electric skillet, microwave & toaster oven - long story.) Anything that can't be cooked directly on the grill gets sprayed with a little oil, seasoned & wrapped in foil & tossed on the grill. After a little trial & error, he knows how much time everything takes to cook & it all comes out perfect!

Let me know if you want any advice on cooking specific types of food on the grill & I'll ask Daan for you!

Sha

Thanks for the tip Sha. We are not grilling out anymore. We aren't doing any grilling untell we get a new grill :(.

I have a goal now as far as losing weight. I plan to be down to 115 by June 20th. I going to see how I'm doing in the next few weeks. If I'm on my goal then I wont change the date. I'm going to work really hard at making that goal.

I'm going to keep walking an hour a day M-F. Whatch the amount of food I eat at home. When I go out to eat, try to eat salads when ever I can. I'm going to weight my self tomorrow and see where I'm at.

I'll check my weight next Tuesday and see how I'm doing.

Kim

Hi All!

I weighed in yesterday - down 1lb in the last 2 weeks. :D Now I'm at my pre-cruise weight! I'm gearing up for the last few "tough" weeks of my Cole Porter show - working on the program book this weekend, then 2 rehearsals next week & rehearsals every eve from 23rd-27th - then the show 28th-30th. Very hectic! Plus I still have "fancy trim" to put on 1 of my costumes.

I don't weigh in again til 5/4. :( Hopefully I'll do OK, since I'll only be able to get to the gym 3-4x between now & then. But, I should do fine eatingwise. I still pack my food every day - I just pack more "good stuff" on the days I have to go straight from work to rehearsals. In the "old days", this would be my excuse to eat subs, pizza or other "fast" foods, because there was "no time" to prepare food. Because I take a few minutes to pack my food in the AM, I actually have MORE time to do the stuff I need to do, instead of waiting in line at some food joint!

Kim - having a goal and a way to reach it means you are already halfway there!

FYI - Catholics (I'm not sure how other christian religions may or may not observe Lent) observe Lent during the period between Ash Wednesday & the day before Easter. You're not supposed to have meat on Fridays (& I also think nothing between meals on Fridays) & also "give up" a favorite food or activity, to commemorate the 40 days & nights that Jesus fasted in the desert. Other people may also add something - like volunteering for church or community activities (FYI - Ash Wednesday is the day after "Mardi Gras" - Fat Tuesday - which grew out of people "using up" the foods & other things that would be "forbidden" or restricted during Lent!)

I may not have time to post, but I should at least have time to stop by & read your posts, so I'll be thinking of you!

Sha

hi all,

back again after a week of being sick...how's that for throwing a wrench into my good intentions of working out and getting into a routine??? ah well, today is another day - no excuses, and i'm getting back on track!

sha, thanks for clearing up the lent thing. i'm not religious, but have friends who are catholic and were always the only ones in our circle of friends that were giving things up for the season. so a bunch of us decided that we would also give something up (basically like a support network for our friends) - but after a couple of years i decided that it was too easy for me to say that i wouldn't eat pizza or chocolate or whatever for the month or so, and i would be better off taking on challenges to accomplish over that same period of time. for the last couple of years i have gotten a lot of things done that would otherwise probably still be waiting for me to do!

jocey

Jocey - I'm sort of a "lapsed Catholic". I don't go to church very often - usually just holidays & weddings. But I think lent and other "traditions" can be very important in I think you may have the idea of lent better than some "religious" people do! The idea of "giving something up" is supposed to be good for the soul - strengthen you by voluntarily denying yourself something you like. Or if you are determined to "do something positive", whether it is volunteering at the local food pantry, or finally organizing your basement.

My 15-yr old niece gave up french fries for lent. I don't think she learned anything or strengthened her character - she spent all day Easter Sunday trying to get 1 of us aunties to drive her to McDonald's for some fries!! :rolleyes: (We didn't take her!)

Speaking of Easter -- I ate a bit too much chocolate, but did take a 40 minute walk with above-mentioned niece.

Sha

Archived