FCC in US$, Cruise booked in CAD$ (Celebrity or Royal)

AlbertaCruisers

• AlbertaCruisers changed the title to FCC in US$, Cruise booked in CAD$ (Celebrity or Royal)

I didn't reply on the Celebrity board, thinking that you might ask here. I've only had FCC in the same currency as the new booking, so this is my best guess, nothing based on directly related experience.

Up until about the time the LPP took over, the exchange rate offered by Celebrity was quite favourable. I'd frequently buy a few thousand dollars worth of OBC pre cruise, paying in CAD, which I would later cash out in USD at the end of the cruise to replenish my cruise "float". These days, however, their exchange rate is far less generous, so there would be no disadvantage to them that I can see in allowing you to apply the FCC at their current exchange rate. If I were a real sceptic, I might think that Celebrity won't let you, in the hope that you will book yet another cruise in USD to use up that FCC, but I think they'll be content getting one more FCC off the street.

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I didn't reply on the Celebrity board, thinking that you might ask here. I've only had FCC in the same currency as the new booking, so this is my best guess, nothing based on directly related experience.

Up until about the time the LPP took over, the exchange rate offered by Celebrity was quite favourable. I'd frequently buy a few thousand dollars worth of OBC pre cruise, paying in CAD, which I would later cash out in USD at the end of the cruise to replenish my cruise "float". These days, however, their exchange rate is far less generous, so there would be no disadvantage to them that I can see in allowing you to apply the FCC at their current exchange rate. If I were a real sceptic, I might think that Celebrity won't let you, in the hope that you will book yet another cruise in USD to use up that FCC, but I think they'll be content getting one more FCC off the street.

My problem is I’m booked out to March 2023 with Canadian bookings, and could not fit in any further cruises. Yes, the exchange isn’t great now, so I’m hoping they will just use their rate and convert it. I submitted online, so I will wait and see. 

TBH I’m not sure how this worked out.  My FCC was applied but I never received, or asked for, a detailed updated invoice so I’m not sure what value was attributed to my US FCC on my Canadian booking.  The FCC was a true bonus as we were also given a full refund for our cruise (Reflection turned back after 3 Days in March  2020).  Sorry I can’t be of more help.  

32 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

TBH I’m not sure how this worked out.  My FCC was applied but I never received, or asked for, a detailed updated invoice so I’m not sure what value was attributed to my US FCC on my Canadian booking.  The FCC was a true bonus as we were also given a full refund for our cruise (Reflection turned back after 3 Days in March  2020).  Sorry I can’t be of more help.  

Just the fact that you confirmed being able to apply a USD FCC to a CAD booking was a great help in answering @AlbertaCruisers's question. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Josie201 said:

Thanks for letting me know.

I used the link on the website to apply my FCC this afternoon (I believe at around 2:30) and I received confirmation at 4:30 that it had been applied to my booking.  They don't specifically set out how much was applied, but based on the reduction in my balance owing, they converted the USD amount of the FCC to Canadian based on a rate of 1.271%, which isn't that bad (I was thinking around 1.25, so better than I thought).  I'm happy with the result and the easy of applying the FCC.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

Thanks for letting me know.

I used the link on the website to apply my FCC this afternoon (I believe at around 2:30) and I received confirmation at 4:30 that it had been applied to my booking.  They don't specifically set out how much was applied, but based on the reduction in my balance owing, they converted the USD amount of the FCC to Canadian based on a rate of 1.271%, which isn't that bad (I was thinking around 1.25, so better than I thought).  I'm happy with the result and the easy of applying the FCC.

👍 👍 👍