Food, what's worth it coupons and whats not, vista

firefly333

I looked for and bought both 3 meal deals as soon as I boarded. 7th dinner I planned for lobster night in MDR. 

We went around the cat 1 hurricane for a day and a half which made me not finish my first dinner at JiJis, my stomach said no. Others besides me said JiJis is the best value and best service hands down. 

I also did the japanese Omakase, I'll leave it up to you. Wasnt thrilled. $15 for 1 and 2 for $22, so for a couple not worth the $15 credit. 1st course raw shrimp in tempura batter, 2nd course a square log of cooked spinach, the one thing I'd prefer raw, 3rd course sea bass almost raw. Maybe it was raw, white milky. Mandatory tip added. Ok. 

Seafood shack, also probably not good for credits unless you pick something around $15. Lobster rolls were $12. So I wanted to add $4 clam chowder for $16 and pay the extra $1, over the $15 credit. Guy said it added tip automatically. It added 8.67  which means adding a $4 bowl of chowder costs more like $6 extra which isnt right. I actually went to customer service before I posted that carnival is over charging and aware of it. She called hotels as she could see the error and he said they are aware the machine is overcharging and working on it but cant handle small amounts. 

Loved the butter lobster roll and went back twice. Just no soup. 2 lbs of crab was $14, but I had my heart set on lobster. 

Steak house was hit or miss. Service mediocre to bad. Went twice. 2nd night I was with a girl and the waiter came up and refused to get her a menu and never offered bread, just rushed and rude. I didnt care, she cared. He said she needed to figure out the menu from codes. It was the last night, just let her see a menu. He gave the same lecture to a elderly couple next to us, no menus. I knew the menu just was surprised how he acted.

1st ss What the coupons look like. You tear off the strips at the bottom to hand them with your folio number on them.

2nd ss is the sushi and japanese place, next time I'll do sushi or poke, but wanted to see what the dinner would be.

20210911_134902.jpg

20210919_084047.jpg

• Like 1

Hits and misses. I loved several of the appetizers at JiJis especially. Both JiJis and steak house had pork belly app. Jijis was crispy on top with lots of good meat. The sauce was a Carmel sauce.

2nd shot is pork belly at steak house. Its soggy in sauce, ok, but I'd have like the sauce on the side. Some little apple thing and the round thing on top, .. JiJis wins again.

20210911_180838.jpg

20210917_185653.jpg

20210917_185615.jpg

• Like 1

A few odds and ends of appetizers.. 

Worst goes to steak house raw oysters. Yes, that's pink foam you see. Tasted weird and first oyster had gritty sand in it. Lucky only 3. 

The crispy sesame bread in the steak house wins the bread award. 3rd picture the sesame brittle is on the plate with the crispy bread. 1st time they offered bread. 2nd time with a friend I asked the bread guy myself for some for her to try, never offered. 

Dessert again.. tie between creme brulee at JiJis and the cheesecake at steak house, tried the chocolate ball and wasnt impressed. 

20210915_175600.jpg

20210911_183329.jpg

20210915_174537.jpg

20210911_180325.jpg

20210911_175947.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

Well, that stinks that rough seas kept you from fully enjoying JiJi's!

I went back no worries and enjoyed it fully and had the creme brulee a 2nd time. I wasnt really sick, just couldnt or didnt want to eat. I talked to one girl who threw up all the first night. No complaints from me. Mine was very mild. 

I was mostly worried about my car knowing Galveston flooded and wind was spraying salt water up under my hood. Parked at lighthouse parking in Galveston and glad I was on one of the higher blocks at least. 

I had lobster 5 times so it was a good food cruise. I just thought someone besides me might have been curious about the 3 dinner pkg. I didnt really know when I boarded what I was looking for.

• Like 2

Duplicate, cc needs to fix this.

I really dont like that seafood shack is overcharging, even if it's just a few dollars. I'm thinking people just shrug and sign or dont try and buy a $12 and $4 item with a $15 credit. Carnival knows and hasnt fixed it. Dishonest. .. but whatever. I had lots of obc, so didnt care, but dont like that carnival is knowingly overcharging.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2