We were on the new Noordam tonight

Charliesmom

Doug......If given the opportunity, shall I pass along your sentiments???

About not being invited? My real sentiment is that there are a lot of people who have sailed on HAL a lot more than I have and who obviously deserve to be invited a lot more than I do. People like you, Ruth, and many others :) !

But of course one can't read a topic like this and not respond with a little fun about not being invited :) !

I wish I, like Ruth, had thought to ask you to accompany us.

Thanks! I really appreciate the thought :) .

Actually, I probably should have asked HAL a few months ago for an invitation to the inaugural festivities on Wednesday... What's the worst they could do, say no? Tuesday, when I think most of the Mariner invites have been, is an absolute no-go for me but I think I could manage Wednesday...

Tomorrow I will be in NYC to meet some friends and have a look at the new ship from the outside. Of course I know she will look pretty much like all the other Vistas but the maiden call of a new ship is always an exciting event! The three maiden calls I rememer most are GRAND PRINCESS (she just seemed so huge at the time!), ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS (right after 9/11; they did special "R and R" cruises for police and firefighters), and QUEEN MARY 2 (no explanation necessary). We shall see if NOORDAM makes it on to that list!

I would have enjoyed meeting you and am sorry to not see you in New York.

It would be lovely meeting you, too. Someday we will have to have some sort of HAL Board unofficial get-together on land as relatively few of us actually know each other in person.

Actually, tomorrow would have been a great time for this but it just popped into my mind so it is a little late to plan! Ah well, next time...

And also, before I forget, I think it's wonderful of HAL to be inviting (certain) Mariners on board to show off the new ship. Of course, it is the best advertising possible for booking a cruise, so it's good for business, but nonetheless it is quite rare in the cruise industry for this to happen and I think it is a wonderful gesture on HAL's part!

Really, more cruise lines should get smart and do this for their frequent passengers - they should know that little touches like this really do create loyalty! I mean, I've not been invited and I feel more loyal to HAL anyhow just knowing that there are people who were. And of course there is the inevitable flurry of reports on the web, through word-of-mouth, etc. from those who were invited and loved the ship and want to tell all their friends about it. The whole thing just reflects well on the cruise line in so many ways, it's amazing that more don't do it! Kudos to HAL for being a line that does.

You are so right, Doug. With so many people invited aboard, the word of mouth and eagerness of those who were aboard to book this pretty new ship, should (hopefully) provide for many future cruises being planned aboard her.

I was Not aware that only HAL invited past (frequent) cruisers aboard their ships for Inaugural Parties. Because we sail exclusively with HAL, I rather assumed most of the other lines did the same thing.

Thank you for educating me.

I was Not aware that only HAL invited past (frequent) cruisers aboard their ships for Inaugural Parties.

I would not say "only"; but most other lines don't do it.

Probably the best invitation I've ever heard about was when RSSC brought out SEVEN SEAS VOYAGER. Their "best" frequent passengers got a free shakedown cruise in Europe!

Now that is an invitation... But imagine how much money one must spend each year to be a "really frequent passenger" on RSSC... At those fares, their "best customers" deserve a free cruise now and then :) !

Anyone have photos to share?

I suspect you are thinking of interior photos, and I can't help on that count, but I do have a few exteriors that I took today... I'll post them in a few minutes once they're processed.

Archived