We were on the new Noordam tonight

Charliesmom

She is lovely. The ship has the same type carpets as her sisters, but they are in more subdued colors (the carpet in the stateroom hallways is the same). In general, the colors on the ship have been toned down.

We ran into our room steward from the Westerdam (and another steward we had seen over and over again last December). They let us into the aft suite which is comparable to the suite we were in on the Westerdam. It is 5187 on the Westerdam and 5191 on the Noordam. The balcony is not as deep, but it is PRIVATE. There is a four foot overhang on the roof of the balcony with about two feet that is not covered. Plus you still have the long balcony on the side. I like it even better than the Westerdam.

Overall, the decor is more pleasing. The lounges are all in restful colors.

We didn't go up to the Lido deck, but we did get a look at the Penthouse Suite. There is lots of space, but it is not to my taste.

They served a nice dinner - lobster salad to start, then a butternut squash soup, then a filet of beef with a very large shrimp on top. Dessert was cheesecake with chocolate and raspberries on top with a cookie sliver in the middle.

Unfortunately, we sat at a table that was right under the air conditioning duct and my poor DH froze. This table was near the back of the dining room on the upstairs level - on the right as you face the back of the ship. We noticed it was much more comfortable in other parts of the dining room as we were leaving.

The staff was lovely, as usual. I really felt at home on the ship.

Roberta

Roberta, Thanks so very much for reporting in and checking out the 5th floor corner aft on the starboard side. We were just in 5187last week on the Oosterdam for the second time. I could tell by the pictures that the balcony definitely was not as large but would you say it is still larger than the mid ship S Suite balconys? Did the lay out of the cabin change any? Did it seem the same size? Was there still the closets by the bed? Did they improve on the lighting in the dressing area of the cabin. I feel the amber coloring in the dressing areas are not good and really bad for putting on makeup.

Did you by chance take any pictures?

Thanks again for reporting in,the dinner sounds absolutely wonderful.

The food was good. The dining room service OK to good. Music in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest was good. The Show's singers & dancers were very good but the show had no theme. The entertainer in the Piano Bar was GREAT. The only other Vista ship we've been on was a long cruise on the Oosterdam. We like this ship better.

We think Noordam to be really beautiful. The colors in the public areas are blues/turquoise carpeting in really pretty shades. The Waterford Crystal Centerpiece in the Atrium is Gorgeous...with changing colors.

The Ocean Bar has been newly designed from what is on Zuiderdam and a huge improvement. Really, really pretty. We like to sit at a bar and this bar is long airy and very attractive. Very welcoming. The colors in Ocean Bar are alive and fun but by no means too bright IMO

A glass staircase leads up (down :)) from Pinnacle. And the new Pinnacle Bar is really nice.

Dinner was excellent.

How they managed to turn out about 1,000 meals at the same time and have them arrive hot and so beautifully plated is amazing. There was a choice of Beef Tenderloin or a wonderful salmon (which I totally enjoyed---delicious and presented so appetizingly). A lobster salad as starter and a butternut squash soup.

The dessert was sooo good. Small individual creamy, luscious cheesecake rounds topped very prettily with fresh raspberries. Chef decorated each with four dark chocolate ovals that were melt in your mouth delicious and each plate had an oval of chocolate on which was printed in gold a drawing of Noordam. (I took mine home......how could I eat the Noordam??? :) )

We had such a fabulous time onboard and the crew seemed so happy to finally have guests there. We saw stewards and friends from other cruises and that is always a delight.

We enjoyed the show....such energy and beautiful costuming. Good dancers and singers and it was a night to remember.

For those of you with cruises booked, I'm jealous!!!

You are sure to love the ship. I can't imagine how anyone would not.

She truly is very, very beautiful with a crew whose smiles simply don't quit!!!

And on our way out they presented us with Inaugural Plates. I'm so thrilled to add this one to our collection.

each plate had an oval of chocolate on which was printed in gold a drawing of Noordam. (I took mine home......how could I eat the Noordam??? :) )

Funny. That was the first to go off my plate. And in one bite, too! :D

I've never been interested in the Vista-class ships, but have to say this one is beautiful. The colors are soft. Very relaxing. Even though it is huge it has a nice, intimate feel. I can see myself enjoying a cruise aboard her. I didn't even want to leave! I can't believe that when this thread started I was still sitting in the Piano Bar having a great time! (and managed to be picked out of the crowd as RuthC, too.)

HAL sent in a contingent of people to take us on tours. The groups were small so we could see/hear everything and ask questions. They were all so friendly and proud of the ship. There was a HAL representative at my dinner table who really seemed to want to hear the passengers' opinions.

Oh, yes. One more thing. It was open bar all night everywhere!

Wow! What a party! Good going HAL!

Last night's dinner on ms Noordam was ONLY for Mariners. There were about 1,000 (maybe a few more than that.)..... and it was a wonderful Party. HAL really and truly gave us a fantastic evening. Open bars all night all over the ship; drink service in the show room; hot hors d'ouerves were being passed and dinner was great. And we enjoyed a show, as well.

Today is Travel Agent's day. They will be entertaining many TA's all day/evening.

Last night's dinner on ms Noordam was ONLY for Mariners. There were about 1,000 (maybe a few more than that.)..... and it was a wonderful Party

Too bad we've never sailed with HAL. We live in NYC and a short cab ride we could have been part of the festivities (unless this offer was not extended to ALL past cruiser, but those that have sailed HAL umpteen times??)

My husband spoke with several Mariners who were at the dinner last night and every single one of them agree she is a very beautiful ship. Without exception, all of them said they will be booking to cruise Noordam ASAP.

We couldn't agree more!! :)

(And, of course, that is the point of all this wonderful entertaining. Let us see the ship and they know we can't resist!!!)

Glad everyone aboard there in Boston Harbor in the Commenwealth of Massachusetts aboard Carnival Corps Holland America NOORDAm is having a great time .. envy has emerged ...:p

One question on the final course/dessert.

Was it real CheeseCake or what they just call cheese cake?

Was it NY Style with real creamcheese ? (Hope so as NYC is going to be her home port....)

Having real cheesecake aboard shows the culinary skills and that the line serves better food in quaklity and preperation...

We are going to be aboard her (Noordam) leaving NYC past the Statue of Liberty in New Jersey on/about 5:03 pm est on 03/25/2006 A.D.

Thank youall for showing some of the details/INFO here and Holland Americas site.. http://www.hollandamerica.com

...is probably going to loading pictures and text tonight as they are closing off there servers now for what I beleive more than normal maintaince service...

It is so nice seeing so many good intelligent people getting along and thriving in one place.. ..

Inasmuchas CruiseCritic does a wonderful time of mustering people together and giving a sounding board to have viewpoints choic and comradery flourish..

I wager a lot of friendships have/are/will immerged

from the viewpoint and facts emitted here ;)

(unless this offer was not extended to ALL past cruiser, but those that have sailed HAL umpteen times??)

It wasn't extended to everyone... If they invited all the Mariners in the area on board, they would have to be doing this every night for days and days ;) !

It sounds like they are giving quite a welcome to the Mariners that do get invited. Pity I didn't, then ;) ...

Oh Jim :) On a good day, it is about 4 to 4 1/2 hours. :)

HAL could not have been more hospitabole nor run a more wonderful 'party'. I can't imagine that everyone had anything but a great time.

What more can a host offer? Wonderful setting (a magnificent, brand new ship), friendly welcome, delicious dinner, a ton of bartenders pouring/mixing drinks, great company, terrific show..... If that isn't enough ????? beats me!!

Archived