HAL Denali tundra wilderness tour

Lalof

21 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe the best solution is to simply admit that when the road gets to that point where vehicles can no longer safely go, say so.  And, then, put a "period" at the end of this "issue".  

On the other side of the landslide area is the Eielson Visitor Center and the lodges in Kantishna.  I guess people will just have to fly into and out of Kantishna until the road problem is solved.  

23 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I appreciate reading your post.  This area/road seems to be much like some of the infrastructure that needs a permanent resolution that I see where I live.  Apply a "band-aid" and "whenever the chickens come home to finally roost", it will be some other "officials" that must deal with it.

Maybe the best solution is to simply admit that when the road gets to that point where vehicles can no longer safely go, say so.  And, then, put a "period" at the end of this "issue".  

Are you suggesting that the road into Denali be permanently closed at mile 42?  That road extends some 90 miles into the park.  As already pointed out to you Eielson Visitor's Center is located at mile 66 and there are several backcountry lodges in Kantishna.  Additionally there are some private land inholdings in Kantishna and in the past were several mines (I have no idea if the mines are still active).  While there is a small airstrip I rather doubt much freight can be landed at any given time.  I checked a website of one of the backcountry lodges, and they are assuming the road will be closed for the 2022 and 2023 operating season.

The Pretty Rocks area has been problematic for some time and the National Park Service has been considering the options.  It appears to me that they are heading toward a bridge solution.

19 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Are you suggesting that the road into Denali be permanently closed at mile 42?

No, if there can be a way to continue the road that is environmentally sound and does not alter the natural habitat/environment, that's great.  I am sorry that I was not more clear in what I was trying to say in my previous post.  

I emailed the bus company and they confirmed that the road will not be open past mile 43 for the entire 2022 season due to them having to repair the road.

"Thank you for your e-mail. We are sorry but the road will not be open past mile 43 for the 2022 season. A bridge will be under construction which will prevent any vehicles from traveling any further. We hope that it will be fully open for the 2023 season."
  • Like 2