Hair Braiding in....

wtbl

I am going on a cruise on March 5th on the Mariner of the Seas. I would like to know if there is anywhere I can get my hair braided. I am going to San Juan, Puerto Rico, Charlottle Amalie, St. Thomas, and Phililpsburg, St. Maarten. There is not enough time for me to go anywhere in Puerto Rico, so is there anywhere in St. Thomas or St. Maarten and could you please tell me were?!?!?

Thank you,

Brittany :D

I believe there are people at the pier in St. Marteen. My daughter had hers done there a few years ago, it was under a cement overhang and many locals with 'badges' doing the hair. You can also bargin for the price. She had her crown (half head) done and it was about $20 - making up of at least 20 little braids...

Where ever you get it done..get it done. I had mine done in Cancun several years ago, and it felt so neat! I had it done the day before we left so when I gotn back I wore it for about a week as a 'reminder' of my vacation time. It did take longer than the woman said it would tho, so watch the time, it also takes a while to get all the braids out when your ready. OH, and I saw lots of girls/woman with terrible sunburns on their heads because of the scalp showing and I guess they didnt think of sunscreen...so just be careful. I loved the way the beads clicked when I turned my head!

Have fun!! -Kandy:cool:

In St. Maarten, just walk along the outskirts of the shopping area in Phillipsburg and you'll find plenty of hair braiders. My hair is just shy of shoulder length, and I must have been asked if I wanted my hair braided at least 15 or 20 times within 90 minutes. We also ran across braiders in St. Thomas as well, but not to the same extent.

As I mentioned above, right at the pier they had vendors braiding hair. They also had their combs sitting in solution (could have been just plain water, who knows). Anyway, these ladies had ID badges - I believe this meant that the government okayed them to do so. Maybe they see over cleanliness, who knows...... They were VERY freindly and nice as could be. They really enjoyed talking to their customers.

We also had my daughters hair braided in Jamacia (at the falls) - wouldn't do that again - not very clean. I guess we were luckey not to bring back lice. Also had it done in St. Thomas, in town along the street. They were not as friendly and did not seem to enjoy their job. Seemed annoyed if you turned down their offer to braid your hair. Another place was in Mexico - right at the pier. They had an agreement with the cruise line to have space there. They too were clean. I would go with those in St. Marteen - if I had to do again.

We just got back from San Juan, St. Thomas, St Martin etc last Sunday. I don't know if it's because I was walking with my 8 year old who has fairly long hair but I was asked by at least 20 ladies if they could braid my daughters hair. They were EVERYWHERE so no need to seek them out. They will find you.:rolleyes:

As someone else mentioned BRING SUNSCREEN for in between the braids. Burning your scalp is NO fun. I found that spray sunscreen works well. Check at your local tanning salon or hair salon, they make sunscreen for heads and hair, maybe a local salon would have it or at least point you in the right direction.

Archived