Embarkation / disembarkation at Liverpool?

Eglesbrech

For those who have done so can you outline how long this all takes?

We were thinking of using a hotel and parking opposite the port rather than CPS at the Arena. Do we collect luggage from the port so we could just walk across the road to get our car rather than waiting on a shuttle when we disembark? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

For those who have done so can you outline how long this all takes?

We were thinking of using a hotel and parking opposite the port rather than CPS at the Arena. Do we collect luggage from the port so we could just walk across the road to get our car rather than waiting on a shuttle when we disembark? Thanks.

You can have the option to disembark directly at the cruise terminal, but only if you self disembark with all your luggage.  Luggage which is put outside cabins the previous night is transported to the ACC and laid out there for collection.  Passengers are then transferred the 1.3 miles by shuttle bus at their disembarkation time, so they can collect their luggage (and car if they have one parked there).  The CPS car park at the ACC is adjacent to where you need to go to at your alloted arrival time, so far easier to park there from both a pre and post cruise perspective.  The Pullman Hotel entrance is right by the drop off point for the cruises, so is the most convenient, though a search will show other nearby hotels, some walkable.  Plenty of hotels apart from those are just a short drive away, but a lot may not have parking for that night, so you would need to check that with the hotel.  I have no idea about that as we are local, so do not need parking.

From entering the ACC it takes about an hour before the transfer shuttle drops you at the cruise Terminal, where final check in procedures are carried out immediately and you can then walk onto the ship.  There has been road works by there, so the shuttles have, at times, been taking up to 15 mins, but I am not sure if that is still ongoing.  They have been strict on arrival times, so if you arrive much earlier, you may be asked to wait before entering or come back later.  We have stayed at a nearby hotel ourselves and turned up no more than ten minutes earlier.

What I have described is already scheduled to take place until the end of this year, but if the social distancing measures and testing etc., are no longer needed next year, I assume the Cruise terminal will operate as it did previously, without the extra space being needed at the ACC.  If you Google "Liverpool Cruise Terminal", you should be able to get the instructions for your arrival there - there was a section specifically for Fred cruises over the summer, so I assume it will still be there now.  Sorry I cannot post a link at present since I am using my phone and do not know how to do that from here.

Just to add, we have been on deck two, which is the lowest passenger deck Fred has been using at present and have been off the ship at 8.30am, with the upper floors already disembarked by then, so you would not be hanging around on the ship, or waiting for shuttles on disembarkation day.  Also, people are seated in rows waiting for the test results at embarkation and one row at a time will leave to go onto their own shuttle bus.  It is all very slick, but best to have your necessary paper work to hand as you arrive - we have taken to putting various bits of paperwork in different plastic wallets, some b2b so they can easily be shown without even having to take the individual bits of paper out of the wallets.

Hope this helps,

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, tring said:

You can have the option to disembark directly at the cruise terminal, but only if you self disembark with all your luggage.  Luggage which is put outside cabins the previous night is transported to the ACC and laid out there for collection.  Passengers are then transferred the 1.3 miles by shuttle bus at their disembarkation time, so they can collect their luggage (and car if they have one parked there).  The CPS car park at the ACC is adjacent to where you need to go to at your alloted arrival time, so far easier to park there from both a pre and post cruise perspective.  The Pullman Hotel entrance is right by the drop off point for the cruises, so is the most convenient, though a search will show other nearby hotels, some walkable.  Plenty of hotels apart from those are just a short drive away, but a lot may not have parking for that night, so you would need to check that with the hotel.  I have no idea about that as we are local, so do not need parking.

From entering the ACC it takes about an hour before the transfer shuttle drops you at the cruise Terminal, where final check in procedures are carried out immediately and you can then walk onto the ship.  There has been road works by there, so the shuttles have, at times, been taking up to 15 mins, but I am not sure if that is still ongoing.  They have been strict on arrival times, so if you arrive much earlier, you may be asked to wait before entering or come back later.  We have stayed at a nearby hotel ourselves and turned up no more than ten minutes earlier.

What I have described is already scheduled to take place until the end of this year, but if the social distancing measures and testing etc., are no longer needed next year, I assume the Cruise terminal will operate as it did previously, without the extra space being needed at the ACC.  If you Google "Liverpool Cruise Terminal", you should be able to get the instructions for your arrival there - there was a section specifically for Fred cruises over the summer, so I assume it will still be there now.  Sorry I cannot post a link at present since I am using my phone and do not know how to do that from here.

Just to add, we have been on deck two, which is the lowest passenger deck Fred has been using at present and have been off the ship at 8.30am, with the upper floors already disembarked by then, so you would not be hanging around on the ship, or waiting for shuttles on disembarkation day.  Also, people are seated in rows waiting for the test results at embarkation and one row at a time will leave to go onto their own shuttle bus.  It is all very slick, but best to have your necessary paper work to hand as you arrive - we have taken to putting various bits of paperwork in different plastic wallets, some b2b so they can easily be shown without even having to take the individual bits of paper out of the wallets.

Hope this helps,

Barbara

Thank you so much. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

It is very kind of you to go into so much detail.

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Thank you so much. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

It is very kind of you to go into so much detail.

You are welcome, enjoy your cruise, when are you going?  We are on Borealis again on 7th Dec.

23 minutes ago, tring said:

You are welcome, enjoy your cruise, when are you going?  We are on Borealis again on 7th Dec.

We have not booked but are looking at 2 cruises next month. Just doing due diligence first before booking. I have also asked Fred some questions direct via email about their covid polices, awaiting a reply meantime.

I’m getting so fed up going down to Southampton, Liverpool would be a nice change with the shorter journey. We were in Liverpool in September as a port stop so knew there were road works etc so wondered how this impacted on boarding etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

We have not booked but are looking at 2 cruises next month. Just doing due diligence first before booking. I have also asked Fred some questions direct via email about their covid polices, awaiting a reply meantime.

I’m getting so fed up going down to Southampton, Liverpool would be a nice change with the shorter journey. We were in Liverpool in September as a port stop so knew there were road works etc so wondered how this impacted on boarding etc.

Yes, some good offers have been around for the cruises up to Christmas, though I see some are starting to disappear now, so perhaps worth keeping an eye on them 🙂

The had very low passenger numbers on the cruises we have been on so far, though I am aware it was not the case with all cruises.

Hope you get what you want.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Latest sailing from Liverpool, covid testing a disaster zone. Parents stood in queue 2hrs and didn't get on board till 5.30pm with many waiting even later. At least they had moved forward indoors when the rain started. Told problems with the systems and believe they were boarded without test results. 

Their first cruise in July was smooth check-in but unscheduled middle of the night port stop made to off load covid positive crew. Seems more cruises have 'disappeared' crew and passenger in August on this board. 

Plus point, cruises aren't cancelled for covid.