does anybody else think....

S.S.Oceanlover

I tried to look at the photo, but it said I'm not authorized.:o

Sorry, Cotton

It's kind of a dark picture anyway, taken last June on the Destiny. (it was my first attempt at copying a picture to a post. maybe I didn't do something right. oh well, someday:rolleyes: )

Somethng I have noticed over the yrs of my 23 cruises is that service has changed, the waiters and bus persons are a little more hurried than they used to be, although, it depends greatly on the head waiters and there bosses, as to how well they perform. if the head waiter is on the ball and trained the staff well then there has been no problem and vice versa. you can tell a good head waiter by how offten you see him. good ones will be around several times during the cruise to chat and check on things. let them know if you have a problem, they will correct it right away. I have also noticed that when soemone is getting ready to go home, or is brand new, they tend to be a little slow getting things done. the ones that have been there a while seem to have things down pat.

other things to think about, it there is a new ship comming out for the first time, they tend to raid all the ships of the good personal, not just waiters and bus perosns, but, the rest of the crew also. this tends to slow service down, and cause service to suffer. another thing is that when the waiter goes to get the food, he/she is gettting all their tables at once. so if someone form another one of their tables wants something special, then service is slowed down to the rest of the tables.

that just what I have noticed over the years.

Capt Bill

I agree with Randy that we can all help by being on time for dinner. When some of my tablemates come sauntering in 10-15 minutes or more late - is the only time I've noticed any disdain on the waiters' faces.

I agree with you on this Cotton. On our last cruise we were seated with an "older" couple. I could understand being a few minutes late but this couple came in after we had received and almost finished our appetizers. They then seemed upset because the server advised them that they needed to start their ordering with their entree. I was uncomfortable the entire dinner because we got entrees and were almost finished before theirs was delivered. It felt wrong to eat ours when they didn't have theirs but I wasn't going to let my dinner get cold because of their lateness. The servers did their best with the situation and served them as soon as the kitchen could fill the orders.

We've usually had great service, but onour last cruise on the Elation, it was impossible to get water refills, and ordering a second entree was out of the question. We didn't even get our desserts on a couple of nights before our sitting was over. and, yes we did get to the dining room on time. I aseked our waiter how many table he was having to take care of, and he said only two. We never saw the assistant waiter, except when introduced to us on the first night. I don't know what the problem was, butit was the exception. If this happens again, I will politely and promtly speak with the Maitre D.

Shawn

I have only been on 2 Carnival cruises but I have seen nothing but EXCELLENT service from the wait staff on both of them.

We just got off the Valor and our waiter who is from Honduras told us he has worked for Carnival for 12 years. He also told us that they get paid $75 a MONTH from Carnival plus tips but that sometimes people don't pay their tips and they really hurts them as far as their pay.

I was in shock but, I guess this is good money compared to what he could make in Honduras. He provided the best service to us much beyond my expectations. He was always such a happy go lucky guy. Always remembered our names and what we drank and wanted on our salads etc...He said his son has been living with his mom (his son's grandmother) so that he can work but that he is quitting in December to be with his son before he turns 18 since he hasn't been able to be there much during his childhood. He just touched our hearts....we gave him an extra tip on top of our prepaid tips. I just wish I could have given him even more.

Kendra

(who thinks the wait staff is great) :)

Carnival Valor 2/12/06

Fantasy 9/97

I'm encouraged to read that there are still plenty of good waiters onboard CCL. While I have never had bad service, EVER, the last 2 CCL cruises the waitstaff was virtually nowhere to be found.

I certainly don't blame them. I think they had too many tables, and the proximity to the kitchen could have a lot to do with it, especially if the kitchen was on the other side of the dining room.

Bill

Archived