Atlantic Coast Adventure Q133Q 15th Nov 2021 - Jimbo's Blog

rakkor

Disembarkation, Not! Saturday 27th November

We had everything packed and shipped out ready for disembarkation last night and were taking advantage of the extra hour in bad as the clocks had gone back overnight. We'd decided to have a late breakfast as our disembarkation time had been put back to 13:00, so after a relaxed shower we headed up to the PG for one last time for food and collect the menus that our waiter had been collecting for us. After breakfast, we said our goodbyes and on leaving the restaurant Ionel, the Head Waiter said see you later which I thought was a little strange.
Back in the cabin, Jane set the timer for 30 mins as she wanted us to do a lateral flow test before going to her Dad's. While waiting for that to happen there was an announcement from the Captain saying that it was far too dangerous for us to enter Southampton and that we would now not arrive at the Mayflower Terminal until tomorrow morning. This isn't massive issue for us, we've not a long drive to Jane's Dad's place, and the dog is with a friend plus I'm not back at work for a week. I can imagine it is a real issue for others though.
They are making calls for people requiring their luggage to collect it from the Queen's room.

• Like 2

Southampton At Last - Sunday 28th November

I woke before my 07:00 alarm with lights twinkling through a gap in the balcony curtains as we sailed up into Southampton. It was nice to be on calm waters again after the last few stormy sea days. It was also nice to have a phone signal.
We were scheduled for departure at "Cowboy Time", so we didn't need to rush up to breakfast. The PG restaurant was open for an early sitting from 07:00 to 08:30, so after a final shower it was nice to be able to go straight up in Lift C to deck 10 and walk across the deck to PG. We were greeted by a lovely sunrise and clear blue skies, it was very chilly though, so I was glad to be wrapped up warm.
Fully fueled I was now ready to get off the ship, so we said a final farewell to Sachin and Karen who had, so ably, looked after us for the last 13 days and headed back to the room to wait for our departure time. We have been instructed to leave directly from the room, which is the same as our August disembarkation. Unlike August though the Air Bridge seems to be working.
We picked up our hand luggage and after checking the room for one last time,  headed down at 09:45 to finally leave the ship. Departing was painless and after collecting all our bags, we had the short walk to CPS to collect the car and head off.

https://blog.rakkor.uk

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 10:59 AM, LadyL1 said:

Goodness, I have never known Southampton closed to cruise ships before!

We have at times thought of booking a forward deck 5 PG because of the space: in all honesty would you book one of these again?😬

Try if you can, to enjoy another day bobbing around on the ocean. Thank you very much for taking the time to post your musings.

The room is excellent, but it comes with caveats. It's right at the front, so you are always going to get more movement in heavy seas. It's very noisy when beating against a headwind as the waves are driven against the bow which then acts as a amplifier sending the crashing noise into the room. We only really started to notice it when we hit the storm at Cadiz as it was very noisy that night. We found that you could ask your steward for earplugs and we found they worked very well.

I'd take the room without a thought again, Jane not so much for a winter cruise, but yes for a summer one.

https://blog.rakkor.uk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bbtablet said:

Earplugs are the first things we pack - interesting to know we can get them from the room steward.

We only found out because of a miscommunication when Jane asked for earbuds* and we got earplugs instead.

* Something to do with makeup removal

• 3 months later...

I finally got around to scanning to menus from this cruise and have posted them on my blog

See my Daily Menus Page for them

I also uploaded the Daily Programs that I have, unfortunately through a miscommunication while I was in hospital Jane had thrown them away before I scanned them all so only have a couple and the cruise log.

See my Daily Programs Page for more info

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 11/24/2021 at 12:21 PM, rakkor said:

...We wrote and posted postcards, then headed back to the ship to enjoy the last of our winter sun...

We sent 8 (Cunard) postcards from the QM a couple of months ago on the way to NY.

Paid $16 and returned them to the Pursar's desk for 'posting'.

They never arrived 😞