When does the covid testing clock start for Argentina?

Woodrowst

My wife and I are booked on an Antarctica cruise departing Ushuaia in February.   We know that we have to have a Covid pcr test within 72 hours before the trip.  But we have seen conflicting statements about when the clock starts.  Some “authorities” say 72 hours or less prior to the plane’s departure to Argentina and other “authorities” say 72 hours or less upon arrival in Argentina.  Given the long flight time from the U.S., this is a significant difference, especially when you include the lag time needed to get back results.

Any thoughts - or better yet documentation - as to when the Argentina 72 hour covid clock starts?

Thanks!

David

• 1 month later...

Hi David,

My wife and I also have the same question. We are on the Atlas World Navigator sailing on Feb 14.  It is not clear on the Argentinian website. I do know that only a PCR test is accepted, not a rapid antigen or the Abbott ID now molecular test. So this is critical to know what the rule is.  I would think its from the time of plane departure else the airline could refuse you to board.

Hopefully someone who has gone recently will respond sooner than later. If not Atlas should be able to clarify in February (as the rules could change). Once I hear back, I will send a post.

Have a safe trip!

Steve

On 12/27/2021 at 9:11 PM, swkrupa78 said:

Hi David,

My wife and I also have the same question. We are on the Atlas World Navigator sailing on Feb 14.  It is not clear on the Argentinian website. I do know that only a PCR test is accepted, not a rapid antigen or the Abbott ID now molecular test. So this is critical to know what the rule is.  I would think its from the time of plane departure else the airline could refuse you to board.

Hopefully someone who has gone recently will respond sooner than later. If not Atlas should be able to clarify in February (as the rules could change). Once I hear back, I will send a post.

Have a safe trip!

Steve

Steve-

Since my initial post, Crystal sent their Antarctica guide for our cruise.  It states that the 72 hour clock starts from the time your flight departs to Argentina.   The United Airlines site provides that same information.

David

• Like 1

David - Thank You very much for this information. This makes logical sense. Now the trick will be to find a facility that guarantees a result back within 72 hrs for a PCR test.  This would not be an issue if Argentina accepted the molecular NAAT test like Abbott ID now. We may have to sign up at multiple places as a safeguard.

Appreciate you getting back! Have a great trip.

Steve

On 11/13/2021 at 1:52 PM, Woodrowst said:

My wife and I are booked on an Antarctica cruise departing Ushuaia in February.   We know that we have to have a Covid pcr test within 72 hours before the trip.  But we have seen conflicting statements about when the clock starts.  Some “authorities” say 72 hours or less prior to the plane’s departure to Argentina and other “authorities” say 72 hours or less upon arrival in Argentina.  Given the long flight time from the U.S., this is a significant difference, especially when you include the lag time needed to get back results.

Any thoughts - or better yet documentation - as to when the Argentina 72 hour covid clock starts?

Thanks!

David

According to at least one cruise line, Oceania, it means 72 hours or less from your arrival time.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2021-12/Travel-Entry-MNA-RVA-INS-SIR-December-January-2022-21-December-Update.pdf

ARGENTINA

All guests must be in possession of a valid, negative, PCR covid-19 test result to board your flight to Argentina. Your test results may not be more than 72 hours old at the time of arrival in Argentina. If your test results are older than 72 hours, you may be required to undergo PCR testing at the airport prior to being released or you may be denied entry.

Additionally, Argentina also requires a negative PCR test result for all travelers embarking cruise ships. If you are arriving to Argentina on embarkation day, you may utilize the same PCR test that was used to enter Argentina as long as it will not be more than 72 hours old at the time of embarkation