PV Sliding vs Opening Doors

TayanaLorna

Not to throw a monkey wrench into the conversation but there is an old discussion from 2019 on the cruise critic site for the UK that had a similar discussion and one member stated

"I don’t know about the others, but we were in 5105 on the Viking Sea and we had a door, not a slider "

That conversation used the same PDF as in this conversation.  It would be interesting to know who compiled the PDF and by what method they determined which cabin has what configuration.

19 hours ago, BigBee51 said:

Not to throw a monkey wrench into the conversation but there is an old discussion from 2019 on the cruise critic site for the UK that had a similar discussion and one member stated

"I don’t know about the others, but we were in 5105 on the Viking Sea and we had a door, not a slider "

That conversation used the same PDF as in this conversation.  It would be interesting to know who compiled the PDF and by what method they determined which cabin has what configuration.

Well I will report back if 5021 has a slider and not a door as anticipated.  We decided either would be fine.  Comparing the available cabins to the PDF we noticed more door cabins then slider ones are available.  We chose according to location and side of ship.  If it does turn out to be a door, we will be very careful if windy.  I broke a finger tip once having a door slam on it.  Oh did that hurt!

The ventilation situation is covered by the forum's retired ship officers in the early covid posts. 

If I remember correctly the rooms are slightly pressurised so if there is a smoke or fume issue the air in the rooms stays breathable. It also helps avoid contagion. The air in the rooms is drawn from outside the ship and doesn't circulate from room to room, unless a balcony door is open

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2021 at 8:14 AM, TayanaLorna said:

Well I will report back if 5021 has a slider and not a door as anticipated.  We decided either would be fine.  Comparing the available cabins to the PDF we noticed more door cabins then slider ones are available.  We chose according to location and side of ship.  If it does turn out to be a door, we will be very careful if windy.  I broke a finger tip once having a door slam on it.  Oh did that hurt!

Reporting back that 5021 has a door not a slider and we LOVED it.  We would always get a door now.  If you look at the photos JeriGail posted on page 1 of this thread you will see the sofa and end table positioned right at the large window and the desk at the door location.  We liked being able to sit at either location and see outside.  We moved the chair you see blocking a portion of the window to be in front of the wall.  We also put a magnet with a hook on that wall and used a lanyard to draw back the drapes and sheer curtains to fully expose the view from the window.  We used an additional hooked magnet to draw back the door drape and sheers.  We loved the light coming into the room and open view.  We were on a TA with 6 straight sea days and used the room a lot.

Now when we were in the slider room, there was a wall by the table at the end of the sofa and the entire run of drapes rested there and behind the chair.  The only view through the sliding door was at a diagonal from sitting on the sofa or from the desk.  We felt the room was darker also.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Reporting back that 5021 has a door not a slider and we LOVED it.  We would always get a door now.  If you look at the photos JeriGail posted on page 1 of this thread you will see the sofa and end table positioned right at the large window and the desk at the door location.  We liked being able to sit at either location and see outside.  We moved the chair you see blocking a portion of the window to be in front of the wall.  We also put a magnet with a hook on that wall and used a lanyard to draw back the drapes and sheer curtains to fully expose the view from the window.  We used an additional hooked magnet to draw back the door drape and sheers.  We loved the light coming into the room and open view.  We were on a TA with 6 straight sea days and used the room a lot.

Now when we were in the slider room, there was a wall by the table at the end of the sofa and the entire run of drapes rested there and behind the chair.  The only view through the sliding door was at a diagonal from sitting on the sofa or from the desk.  We felt the room was darker also.

I agree. We prefer the door/window combination. 

• 2 years later...

Hi All. I know this is an old topic, but we just booked a PV stateroom on the Star, and want to be sure we are in a sliding glass door room. My first email to Viking asking resulted in a phone message that all PV rooms have the slider. I know that is not true. Just did a chat and moved rooms as the person said we were not in a slider room.  I'd really like to find the PDF file with the complete list of rooms, but it is no longer available on this chat. Does anyone have it? Note, we have rooms 5088 and 5090 if that helps. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, jgrahamiii said:

Hi All. I know this is an old topic, but we just booked a PV stateroom on the Star, and want to be sure we are in a sliding glass door room. My first email to Viking asking resulted in a phone message that all PV rooms have the slider. I know that is not true. Just did a chat and moved rooms as the person said we were not in a slider room.  I'd really like to find the PDF file with the complete list of rooms, but it is no longer available on this chat. Does anyone have it? Note, we have rooms 5088 and 5090 if that helps. Thanks!

It was available in post #2. 🍺👍

VikingPVsliderrooms.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jgrahamiii said:

I would assume slider as I know 5089 and 5091 are both sliders.  5093 and 5095 both have doors.  We have stayed in all 4 rooms, and I’m assuming the ship is symmetrical.