Snorkeling at Castaway Cay

pehlibaar

16 minutes ago, pehlibaar said:

How is the snorkeling experience? How are they handling the sharing of equipment post covid? Good for all ages? Is it deep? Is being able to swim a requirement? Is the water pretty calm? Would love any and all info! Thanks!

While I can't address how things are handled now, I can say it's best to snorkel early in the day.  Later the (fine) sand gets stirred up so much that you can't see well.

Snorkeling does have some deep areas, but close into the shore not so deep (also not as much to see close in, so it's a trade off).

The water can be "calm", but it's still the ocean and the current can be pretty strong, and, add in the wind, it can be pretty tiring for those unaccustomed to such pursuits.  You don't "have" to be able to swim, but it's extremely helpful (and a good idea).  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We were on Dream in November. Since we brought our own snorkel gear, I'm not sure how they handle shared equipment. The underwater statues are quite a ways out but worth the trek. You have to wear a snorkel vest. I still wouldn't go out to the hidden treasures without knowing how to swim. The water is quite deep, definitely couldn't touch out there. It was the highlight of our day!