Has anyone used Keikana tours in Hilo or Clark’s tours in Kahaluiu?

Ellaleah

Either for hop on hop off or tours in those places.  This will be mostly likely only trip to Hawaii.  I would like to do my best option in those places as well as Honolulu and Kauai.  I hate going through the ship, but in these times we must do what we must do!  Suggestions please and thank you!

In case you are trying to look up your Maui port, the spelling in Kahului.  Do note that Kahului is not a tourist town and there is nothing for visitors to do there.  We can't comment about the Hop On Hop Off idea because they only used to operate when the POA was here Sundays and Mondays.  You might want to google their website and call them.

The best thing to do in each port is to rent a car and control your itinerary, especially if this is your "only trip" ever.

It is also incorrect to say that Kahului has "nothing" for visitors. For people who want a couple of quick sights, some shopping and maybe a local meal Kahului has the Maui Arts & Cultural Center, Maui Nui Botanical Gardens, Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum, Nisei Veterans Memorial Center, Queen Ka'ahumanu Center and great places to eat like Oyako Tei, Bistro Casanova, Stillwell's, Sam Sato's (best noodles on Maui), Tasty Crust and other unique, wonderful places.

Edited by scottca075
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, scottca075 said:

It is also incorrect to say that Kahului has "nothing" for visitors. For people who want a couple of quick sights, some shopping and maybe a local meal Kahului has the Maui Arts & Cultural Center, Maui Nui Botanical Gardens, Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum, Nisei Veterans Memorial Center, Queen Ka'ahumanu Center and great places to eat like Oyako Tei, Bistro Casanova, Stillwell's, Sam Sato's (best noodles on Maui), Tasty Crust and other unique, wonderful places.

We hope you wrote this with tongue planted firmly in cheek.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 10:56 AM, scottca075 said:

The best thing to do in each port is to rent a car and control your itinerary, especially if this is your "only trip" ever.

We rented a car in Hilo, Kauai, an Kahulul. Any suggestions for a great day trip to see beautiful scenery and a beach.

Edited by carbon

In Hilo I would absolutely drive to Volcano National Park. It is one of the most unique things about Hawaii, that it has active volcanoes.

On Kauai, it depends on the time of year. In Winter I would go South to Poipu, Waimea and Waimea Canyon. In late Spring, Summer, early fall I'd go North to Hanalei Bay, the Kilauea Lighthouse and Tunnels Beach, if the road is open.

On Maui, I like Old Lahaina Town. It was the first capital of Hawaii and has some interesting sights. Ka'anapali Beach is nice, that is why they built the hotels there in the 1960's. Napili Bay is great, but I am not sure how parking is. That is all called West Maui. South Maui is the opposite direction and it has nice beaches (Kam I, II & III and Makena Beach).

I also really enjoy "upcountry" Maui (Makawao, Kula and Pukalani), because it is NOT what anyone thinks of Hawaii as. It is cattle country, coffee plantations and farms.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1