Dog on Summit to Hawaii 1/29/06

MBMiner

Hugo's mom, Hero graduated from Guide Dogs for the Blind in San Rafael, California. It's a wonderful program. Since you mentioned Seeing Eye, can I assume that is Hugo's alma mater?

Yes, Hugo's from Seeing Eye. The reason I asked is because they seem to be about the same age and both of their names start with an "h" so I was thinking wouldn't it be something if they were littermates! GDB is a great program - and so is Seeing Eye! All of hubby's dogs have been from there - only 4 dogs in 25 years.

Fleckle - thanks for your post. Other than dog guides, I don't know what has opened up the world to those who are blind as much as being able to use the computer has.

Hero is Paul's first dog, although he has been visually impaired his entire life. His vision has just gotten worse as he's gotten older, and we decided it was time for a dog. Hero was five in January, and his brother Hackett was in the same training class. Hackett lives in Denver. Our younger daughter moved their last summer, and Paul and Hero were able to visit in September. They all got together with Hackett and his person Dave. Paul said they behaved like brothers, fighting over the same bone, but it was obvious that they recognized each other. We are planning to visit in June, so I hope the brothers get to have another reunion.

This is truly a tough issue to select a side on and be correct in everyone’s opinion. Like others who have posted, I am not an animal lover. Do I have allergies or phobias? No, just do not care for them. I could argue that as pets I do not see a useful purpose for an animal. Others would argue back that I am out of mind with this train of thought as animals as pets make great companions and are needed to relieve stress and help its owner get through life. I could argue back that I can see that point, but for me I am able to accomplish those needs through a nice cigar. Whereby, of course, the opposite side would argue about second hand smoke, infringing on their rights, etc. There is no clear cut opinion in my mind for animals as pets or a cigar as a pet.

Now, animals as a service agent, does bring up an entirely different train of thought on my part. A service animal is really no different than someone walking about pulling or carrying an oxygen tank or someone getting around by use of a wheelchair or someone having to lug around an IV infusion.

I have already mentioned that I do not care for animals. I travel around the country a great deal and have sat next to other passengers with service animals. Did I care for it? Not really. Did it bother me? Not really. On a cruise if a tablemate had a service animal, would I care for it…not really. Would it bother me…..not really. A service animal would not begin trying to sniff my food, but a pet would and there lies the difference.

A service animal is a basic “need” for an individual to live as normal a life as possible. A pet animal or in my case, a cigar, is a basic “desire”. There lies the difference.

Again, just my opinion and my thoughts. Don’t like my opinions or thoughts, no problem, I live in the USA and not the United States of Communism, so I can have them and express them.

Archived