New NCL return testing rules

bookbabe

Just saw this in the NCL forum, and thought it was worth posting here since it may impact people’s travel plans…

As of January 10, NCL will only do antigen return testing onboard.  PCR return tests will be done at the pier at the guests’ expense on disembarkation day. - https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/sail-safe (scroll down to the FAQs)

Our current plan (if neither Justin or NCL change the rules again by then) is to use the Switch Health tests for our May Alaska cruise, since we are in Victoria the last night of the cruise and can use our data to avoid the ship wifi.  Our flights home leave Seattle at noon, and I’m just not comfortable trying to do testing that morning.

Hopefully some Canadians will post here about their return test experiences over the next few months, so we can all get an idea of procedure and timing for the results.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this, I see that they have also extended the pre boarding tests (at no extra charge) to the end of February again.

Going to have to monitor this closely, we don't sail until 12 February, and I expect things will continue to evolve...

Any idea if NCL uses CVS or Eurofins in Miami?

Edited by Brian V

2 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Just saw this in the NCL forum, and thought it was worth posting here since it may impact people’s travel plans…

As of January 10, NCL will only do antigen return testing onboard.  PCR return tests will be done at the pier at the guests’ expense on disembarkation day. - https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/sail-safe (scroll down to the FAQs)

Our current plan (if neither Justin or NCL change the rules again by then) is to use the Switch Health tests for our May Alaska cruise, since we are in Victoria the last night of the cruise and can use our data to avoid the ship wifi.  Our flights home leave Seattle at noon, and I’m just not comfortable trying to do testing that morning.

Hopefully some Canadians will post here about their return test experiences over the next few months, so we can all get an idea of procedure and timing for the results.

Do you know when NCL abandoned giving PCR tests for Canadians?

7 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Do you know when NCL abandoned giving PCR tests for Canadians?

Starts as of January 10th.  Really new policy, since we were tested on the Encore on Saturday for our flight to YYZ on Sunday.

2 hours ago, Brian V said:

Thanks for posting this, I see that they have also extended the pre boarding tests (at no extra charge) to the end of February again.

Going to have to monitor this closely, we don't sail until 12 February, and I expect things will continue to evolve...

Any idea if NCL uses CVS or Eurofins in Miami?

Miami was CVS, at least as of last week.

• Thanks 1

It's been updated again to read the following:

"Will NCL offer testing onboard to meet travel requirements for guests flying back to countries that require negative COVID-19 test results to re-enter the country post cruise?

Yes, COVID-19 antigen tests prior to disembarkation will be administered on board and paid for by the Cruise Line for those guests who require a test to return home.

Effective for all disembarkations beginning January 8, 2022, PCR tests will only be available onboard to confirm a positive antigen test, or to test a symptomatic patient. Those guests requiring a PCR test to return home will be responsible for expense and must obtain the test shoreside after the disembarkation either at a company designated facility, at the airport prior to flying out, or at a nearby clinic of their choice.

If a guest booked a post-cruise hotel, it is the responsibility of the guest to make their own arrangements to get re-tested at their own expense."

As of Jan 8th, you need to source your own test. Someone has recommended to me the Switch RT-LAMP test. Aeroplan members can get this test for $149 and you get the results immediately following the collection so it can be done on the ship if you have a wifi connection. Appears to be one of the approved molecular tests for return to Canada.

• Like 1