ANYONE JUST OFF THE HAWAII CRUISE

auburn77

No Issues, just got off the Miracle on 23 January.  Overall a good cruise.  They could have done a few things better but overall OK.  The room stewards and the dining room staff were outstanding.  Also, all the crew were very polite and did a great job.  We were asked on one of the last night for their al fresco outside dining (Lido deck).  We agreed but really didn't care for it much, my steak was badly overcooked but still the service was OK.  Just prefer the main dining service.  We got the value internet package and it was good.  My wife was about to watch a few of her shows via Youtube and it works good.  We shared one package and just switched off when the other needed to use it.  For the $$, it was well worth it. 

Excursion:  The luaus in Honolulu were not as good as advertised.  The Paradise Cove is not 6 hours long, it was more like 4.5 hours.  The show was just OK, but the food was not good.  Their BBQ was probably the saltiest pork I have ever had.  Anyone should consider booking independently if they want this excursion. Carnival sold it for around $240 pp but if you go to the Paradise Cove website you can get it for much cheaper including transportation .  The other Luau wasn't much better I heard.  It poured rain over at their and was a disaster.  Luckily for us it didn't rain, but be warned that if it rains there is no where to go for protection.  Other excursions like the road to Hana was well worth it.  

Georgia (cruise director) was very good. 

Hated the COVID testing but really can't do anything about that.  Highly recommend going early as possible, the lines took up to 2 hours to complete the process.  

Wished they had gotten to Ensenada earlier so we could have spend more time there.  

Any specific questions, let me know

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, jstrutton said:

No Issues, just got off the Miracle on 23 January.  Overall a good cruise.  They could have done a few things better but overall OK.  The room stewards and the dining room staff were outstanding.  Also, all the crew were very polite and did a great job.  We were asked on one of the last night for their al fresco outside dining (Lido deck).  We agreed but really didn't care for it much, my steak was badly overcooked but still the service was OK.  Just prefer the main dining service.  We got the value internet package and it was good.  My wife was about to watch a few of her shows via Youtube and it works good.  We shared one package and just switched off when the other needed to use it.  For the $$, it was well worth it. 

Excursion:  The luaus in Honolulu were not as good as advertised.  The Paradise Cove is not 6 hours long, it was more like 4.5 hours.  The show was just OK, but the food was not good.  Their BBQ was probably the saltiest pork I have ever had.  Anyone should consider booking independently if they want this excursion. Carnival sold it for around $240 pp but if you go to the Paradise Cove website you can get it for much cheaper including transportation .  The other Luau wasn't much better I heard.  It poured rain over at their and was a disaster.  Luckily for us it didn't rain, but be warned that if it rains there is no where to go for protection.  Other excursions like the road to Hana was well worth it.  

Georgia (cruise director) was very good. 

Hated the COVID testing but really can't do anything about that.  Highly recommend going early as possible, the lines took up to 2 hours to complete the process.  

Wished they had gotten to Ensenada earlier so we could have spend more time there.  

Any specific questions, let me know

Are any ports tendered and were you talking about the covid testing at the pier or on the ship before arriving at Hawaii having a long line?

Thanks for your replies 

Just off and home from Hawaii Cruise.  

It was pretty stressful finally getting on board - after all of the "hoops" we had to jump thru. 

Covid prior to flying from Walgreens, and Covid Test prior to Embarkation.  

1  Our Cruise person in reservations Sean Murphy -  had us follow "STEP BY STEP" - a website for Hawaii prior to boarding.   We did what we could - the website did not say "Long Beach" - it said San Diego.  Therefore making the COVID testing and red wrist band process on Tuesday a 6 HOUR PROCESS - now TWO.  Lining people up in a HOT hallway on Deck 1 - with NO MOVING AIR was NOT FUN.  We understand it had to be done, but NOT in this manner and this time frame.   The Hero of the day was the Ships Doctor who single handedly seemed to handle the whole process.   The other staff members tried to help - but the website given to us in the first place was bogus and stupid. 

2  Honolulu - made the mistake of taking a ships tour - we were placed in non air conditioned no moving air busses to Pearl Harbor.  Now - we bought the STARS and STRIPES excursion to Pearl Harbor back on July 26th 2021, only for Carnival to have cancelled it - and cannot tell me where my money is. . . . . . we had to buy another tour at 99 per person - to have suffered in a hot box, driven around by a hippie, who told us to "run for that line" to get to see the Arizona. . . . . .  There were no tickets.  Unfortunately - there are NO TICKETS to the Arizona - it's first come first serve, and it was a poorly run tour.  Some people NEVER made it out there. 

3.  Maui - We took a private tour at 9 a.m. with a taxi we paid for on the island for 4 hours that morning.   We took a ships tour to the top of Mount Hakealea for the sunset tour - this tour is worth it. . . . . bring your heaviest coat you own - it gets very cold up there - we chose the ships tour so we wouldn't miss leaving on time. 

3.  Kona  - We did Clarks Hop on Hop Off Tour - this is a tender port - tenders run by Carnival.  Most of the beaches were closed, and the Tsunami hit this part of the island, hence no sand or beaches down and outright closed due to high waves.    The Clarks Hop on Hop Off Tour is literally Kiddie corner of when you come out of the port area - and is worth the 20 dollars per person. 

4. Hilo - Private Tour Hoppa on Hoppa Off Tours - literally 20 feet outside of gates are their offices.   If you plan on going to Volcano National Park - buy it online the night before, because they only take 12-14 people.  We saw Volcano National Park, Rainbow Falls, Lava Tube Underground, Lava Field Above Ground, Farmers Market,  and the black sand beach.   Erin was great, very kind, and we had an awesome time.  Highly recommend this tour.  

Ensenada - we didn't get off the ship. 

Food - It was Okay.  The wait staff was incredible.   Some of the entree's I sent back.   The buffet was the same every day - The Chopsticks - Asian Food buffet was amazing.   

Comedy - - -NOT so good - actually raunchy - and I am by no means a prude.  The shows were carnival at sea shows - not that amazing either. 

The cruise director - Georgia worked very hard and was very good.  

At age 50 - I was considered one of the younger one's on this cruise- - - -Average age was 69+++++. 

The seas in the Pacific this time of year were pretty rocky, but that is to be expected. 

Hope this helps in your decision making. 

• Thanks 2

On 1/24/2022 at 9:37 AM, auburn77 said:

Are any ports tendered and were you talking about the covid testing at the pier or on the ship before arriving at Hawaii having a long line?

Thanks for your replies 

The only tender port is Kona and they drop you off right in town. Walk around, take hop on/off bus or just whatever you want.  

The COVID tests were on board on Tuesday for us.  We got their early (900)  but the later folks had to wait around for several hours to complete the testing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 11:29 AM, chefdeedee said:

At age 50 - I was considered one of the younger one's on this cruise- - - -Average age was 69+++++. 

ALL Hawaii cruises from all cruiselines skew that age demographic, I've done two with Carnival, one with Princess, and two with Royal and all the same with regard to passenger ages, with Pricess being the oldest and never saw so many scooters! Just stating the facts, nothing negative meant by my post (I'm 60)

You can also follow "Nautical Nurse Nancy" on YouTube for Hawaii vlogs. Her and her husband were on the Miracle for the first cruise back to Hawaii on Carnival. They did some live shows from the ship and will be releasing more vlogs soon. She's really great about answering questions too.

We've done the Hawaiian itinerary twice..pre-pandemic. It's my favorite itinerary! We love sea days and don't mind rougher seas. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 10:24 PM, auburn77 said:

Was there reduced capacity or was it a full ship?

We were on that first Carnival cruise back to Hawaii.  Really enjoyed it.  I talked with the Guest Service rep one early morning.  She told me that this Hawaii cruise 9 Jan was actually pretty much sold out 2 weeks prior to the cruise.  Then within the last 2 weeks prior they were massive cancellation.  She didn't have any information but most of us can guess due to COVID restrictions and testing. At the end, the ship was only about 55% capacity (1200 out of 2200).  It was really nice that we could get an elevator anytime and get around the ship without too much hassle from crowds.