Expenses Resulting From Flight Cancellation

This is an variation from a recent post on the regular insurance forum, but I thought a more general answer would be useful here.

Today is Thursday. My cruise is on Sunday, my flight on Sunday was canceled due to weather and no flights were available on Saturday so we had to reschedule for Friday. That incurred parking expenses, hotel expenses and meal expenses.  

• Does typical travel insurance cover these expenses even though I am able to make it to the cruise? 
  • If so, what kind of documentation would I need to keep?
  • If I waited and took a Monday flight and had to join the cruise in progress, would that change anything?

• 1 month later...

This is a very good question.  I face the same situation when traveling around hurricane season.

Steve, can you tell us what we could do to ensure we are insured appropriately for this type (predicted weather) scenario and what the proper steps would be to follow to ensure the insurance will cover it?

Thank you very much!!

On 1/29/2022 at 10:59 AM, Jersey42 said:

This is an variation from a recent post on the regular insurance forum, but I thought a more general answer would be useful here.

Today is Thursday. My cruise is on Sunday, my flight on Sunday was canceled due to weather and no flights were available on Saturday so we had to reschedule for Friday. That incurred parking expenses, hotel expenses and meal expenses.  

• Does typical travel insurance cover these expenses even though I am able to make it to the cruise? 
  • If so, what kind of documentation would I need to keep?
  • If I waited and took a Monday flight and had to join the cruise in progress, would that change anything?

Hi Jersey42,

I don't know how I missed your questions.

I assume you meant you rescheduled for the Friday before your cruise, right? If so, you have a pre-departure date change and travel insurance doesn't cover the costs associated with this change.

Steve Dasseos

On 3/14/2022 at 2:49 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Jersey42,

I don't know how I missed your questions.

I assume you meant you rescheduled for the Friday before your cruise, right? If so, you have a pre-departure date change and travel insurance doesn't cover the costs associated with this change.

Steve Dasseos

that’s interesting.  I had the reverse happen, my flight home got move to a later date, incurring more hotel days and of course food!   Are these covered? 

2 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

that’s interesting.  I had the reverse happen, my flight home got move to a later date, incurring more hotel days and of course food!   Are these covered? 

You potentially would be covered under Trip Delay.

Why was your fight delayed?

12 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

You potentially would be covered under Trip Delay.

Why was your fight delayed?

The carrier, delta, stopped flying that flight on Thursdays and automatically moved it to Friday.  

The problem has been overcome by events but I still wonder whether I could have claimed the hotel night I added because of the change.