Athens Gate Hotel, sold out, what other hotel do you recommend?

biksgirl

My family will be disembarking from our cruise on July 25, 2022 and we are planning to stay 2 nights in Athens.

Sadly Athens Gate comes up as sold out, so looking for other hotel recommendations.

thanks  🙂

Edited by biksgirl

Hello Biksgirl,

As no one with better experience has offered a suggestion yet I will let you know what we plan to do. We are disembarking the Regal on June 4th in Athens and plan to take a taxi to the AD Athens Hotel for a two night stay. We will then arrange transportation to the airport on June 6th to the airport.

We booked through Expedia with no payment up front and payment due on check-in. We can cancel up to 48 hours before check-in without penalty. The rooms look very nice and it is within walking distance to everything we want to see, plus the metro station is just across the street. No pool, but after 14 days onboard we don't care about that, we just wanted a nice room close to everything. We booked a "Superior Double" room for a little less than $400 for two nights.

https://adhotel.gr/

This is our first trip to the Mediterranean and I selected this hotel due to it's location and very good ratings online, but we have absolutely no first hand knowledge of the facility so please know that up front. We will be able to update you after our return if it works out well.

I hope this helps!

• Like 2

Thank you so much!!! 

checking this hotel out now!!  🙂

UPDATE:  oh man.....this is also sold out for our time.

I guess I'll just check other reviews on trip advisor and book something asap.

thanks again for your recommendation. Hope you have a fabulous trip!

Edited by biksgirl

I'm so sorry to hear that! Down a few threads is this post with some other possibilities;

Just as a side note, I also google mapped the area when I was searching to see all of the hotels around the Plaka. There are so many and it is time consuming but if location is important to you it may help.

Good luck! I am sure it will all work out!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever stayed at Elia Ermou? 

If so, good location? I've used google maps to check out location but having never been there, don't know if a good location. 

We are stuck between that one and Athens Gate. 

Thanks,

Kelly

On 3/7/2022 at 11:48 AM, pooh/tigger said:

Anyone ever stayed at Elia Ermou? 

If so, good location? I've used google maps to check out location but having never been there, don't know if a good location. 

We are stuck between that one and Athens Gate. 

Thanks,

Kelly

I stayed at the Elia Ermou last year and would recommend.  Liked it better than the Athens Gate actually.  It's laid back from the main shopping street so is quiet but very central for walking around.

21 hours ago, jennjess said:

I stayed at the Elia Ermou last year and would recommend.  Liked it better than the Athens Gate actually.  It's laid back from the main shopping street so is quiet but very central for walking around.

How close is it to everything? (Plaka, Acropolis, etc) 

Thank you

3 hours ago, pooh/tigger said:

How close is it to everything? (Plaka, Acropolis, etc) 

Thank you

5 minute walk into the Plaka maybe 10 minutes to the Acropolis (not sure exactly where the entrance is for visiting).

• Like 1

Well, there are hundreds of hotels in Athens.  You can find them on any number of hotel reservation sites, such as trivago, priceline, expedia, hotwire, hotels, travelocity, kayak, etc.  Pretty much every hotel in Greece, especially those serving international travelers, is on these sites. 

The problem that you are going to encounter is that you are traveling during the peak season. It will be difficult and expensive for you to find a good hotel. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update for anyone interested in our experience with AD Athens Hotel. We couldn't have been happier with our choice and would highly recommend staying at this wonderful hotel! The location was exactly where we wanted to be, close to everything and we walked everywhere we wanted to go with no issues. Plenty of restaurants and shopping right outside of the front door.

We arrived at 10:00 in the morning and asked to store our bags while we explored, but they actually just let us check right in! They had an amazing free breakfast spread on their rooftop bar with plenty of local food favorites, juices, and designer coffees which we really enjoyed while looking at the Acropolis. The nighttime view was beautiful as well. They also have the most delightful elevator you have ever seen.

The entire hotel is very clean and the room was fantastic! Not huge, but certainly quaint with an upscale feel and the air conditioning worked quite well so we were always comfortable even in the 90+ degree heat. The very friendly staff went out of their way to make our stay more enjoyable, even scheduling a Sunday Covid test at the hotel (Pharmacies are closed in Greece on Sundays) for $17 each. Of course a week after we returned they removed the Covid test requirements to enter the US, but having their help with this really eased our stress for flying home. 

Overall a perfect experience and we would definitely stay here again! Enjoy Athens!! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Renophi said:

Just a quick update for anyone interested in our experience with AD Athens Hotel. We couldn't have been happier with our choice and would highly recommend staying at this wonderful hotel! The location was exactly where we wanted to be, close to everything and we walked everywhere we wanted to go with no issues. Plenty of restaurants and shopping right outside of the front door.

We arrived at 10:00 in the morning and asked to store our bags while we explored, but they actually just let us check right in! They had an amazing free breakfast spread on their rooftop bar with plenty of local food favorites, juices, and designer coffees which we really enjoyed while looking at the Acropolis. The nighttime view was beautiful as well. They also have the most delightful elevator you have ever seen.

The entire hotel is very clean and the room was fantastic! Not huge, but certainly quaint with an upscale feel and the air conditioning worked quite well so we were always comfortable even in the 90+ degree heat. The very friendly staff went out of their way to make our stay more enjoyable, even scheduling a Sunday Covid test at the hotel (Pharmacies are closed in Greece on Sundays) for $17 each. Of course a week after we returned they removed the Covid test requirements to enter the US, but having their help with this really eased our stress for flying home. 

Overall a perfect experience and we would definitely stay here again! Enjoy Athens!! 

Good to hear that the hotel was up to your expectations. I'll put it on my list of potential hotels.