Excursions on Alaskan Explorations & Denali Cruise

cranmom

20 hours ago, cranmom said:

We are traveling end of July and looking for help on what excursions are a must? Have never been to Alaska and 

want to make the most out of this cruise/tour. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!

My husband and I did the Windstar Alaska cruises twice and were scheduled for a third Alaska itinerary in July. Unfortunately, he passed away a couple of months ago and I cancelled. Definitely do all of the kayak/zodiac excursions. I did the kayaking, but everyone loved the zodiacs as well. Whale watching is a must, but I suggest that you use a private company with small boats rather than the Windstar excursion. We were on boats with a maximum of 6 people and it was so amazing. You are going to have a fabulous time. Alaska is so amazing.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:11 AM, ridethetide said:

My husband and I did the Windstar Alaska cruises twice and were scheduled for a third Alaska itinerary in July. Unfortunately, he passed away a couple of months ago and I cancelled. Definitely do all of the kayak/zodiac excursions. I did the kayaking, but everyone loved the zodiacs as well. Whale watching is a must, but I suggest that you use a private company with small boats rather than the Windstar excursion. We were on boats with a maximum of 6 people and it was so amazing. You are going to have a fabulous time. Alaska is so amazing.

We are so sorry to hear of your husband's passing. Susan & Steve

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2022 at 2:06 PM, cranmom said:

We are traveling end of July and looking for help on what excursions are a must? Have never been to Alaska and 

want to make the most out of this cruise/tour. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!

The zodiacs were wonderful and you need to go on each one. We could not do kayaks but they looked terrific.  The Taku Glacier Lodge was a seaplane and fabulous lunch. We also did flightseeing any time offered and a fishing excursion where we caught fish and had them cooked in a restaurant.  That was Ketchikan.  The tour before the cruise was hectic but interesting.  There was no on our own time except a few hours in Anchorage.  We spent that time in the museum which is really great and informative.  Not sure if any of the itinerary has changed.  We did 2nd sailing, first year. Loved Wrangell. Sitka you can get to eagle and bear sanctuary by cab. We spent a lot on excursions but felt it was all worthwhile.  Enjoy. I would love to go back.  

• Thanks 1

Also we brought two pairs of binoculars that were perfect for Eagle and other wildlife  watching from the ship. Celestron from Amazon. They are not expensive, light weight and beautifully made. 

• Like 1

Taku Glacier Lodge is an incredible experience. We also did a dog sled ride once with another cruise and that was great too.

I tend to want to stay on shore for excursions. Getting off a boat onto another boat isnt what we do. I have heard great things about some of the ones mentioned above.