St Peter Port - Guernsey - port of call information

20 minutes ago, momrox1 said:

I too will be cruising August of 2023...How would I get to the Victor Hugo house from the cruise pier? Are there independent tours or would I book a one hour tour and have to get there on my own?  If so, are there taxis instead of buses?  Thank you for your info.

No bus or taxi required. It's a short walk from the pier (but the hill is rather steep getting there). 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/GVtBUfJHpWdamZ3T8

Check their website for opening times and making an advanced booking on your date. 

https://www.maisonsvictorhugo.paris.fr/en/visitor-information/your-visit-guernsey

13 hours ago, D C said:

No bus or taxi required. It's a short walk from the pier (but the hill is rather steep getting there). 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/GVtBUfJHpWdamZ3T8

Check their website for opening times and making an advanced booking on your date. 

https://www.maisonsvictorhugo.paris.fr/en/visitor-information/your-visit-guernsey

sent an email...than you so much for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever ridden on of the Rib Island Tours boats? Are they worth it? And do you happen to know what time the first trip is? We are hoping to ride the 1-hour boat ride and then do some other stuff on the island.

Other questions - which passage grave is your favorite? Where do you recommend for scones and clotted cream? 

Thanks so much!!

On 11/9/2022 at 1:00 PM, BIGAMP02 said:

Have you ever ridden on of the Rib Island Tours boats? Are they worth it? And do you happen to know what time the first trip is? We are hoping to ride the 1-hour boat ride and then do some other stuff on the island.

Other questions - which passage grave is your favorite? Where do you recommend for scones and clotted cream? 

Thanks so much!!

Never been, but we had a RIB trip scheduled/canceled (weather) in Jersey several years ago.  While highly rated, I'm not familiar enough with their Guernsey offerings to make a recommendation.   I looked at the Sark offering and having been around the island with a Sark local tour, it wasn't clear how much they covered in the allotted time. But there's no bad time to be had in Guernsey imho 🙂

I'm interested in what Guernseycruiser says about scones/cream tea.  My favorite place is on Sark as it reminds me of my Great grandmother's baking.  Not on the island, of course. 

On Guernsey, my first stop is a co-op (grocery) for gache (a bread) and butter.  It's getting late, but I may have to make scones in the morning, or dig out my Guernsey recipe book! 

• 2 months later...

Guernsey cruiser, hope you’re still following the posts here. Thanks for all the most useful information. 

My friend and I would very much like to get ourselves over to Sark to ride bikes around the island.  Looking at the ferry schedule, as available now, I can’t make it work. We will be in Guernsey on Tuesday, September 19, 2023.  The times offered are depart at 10:15 return at 16. Our ship departs at 16:00 so no good. Is there a chance the schedules will change?  As a second option a bike ride around Guernsey would be fun, however, we don’t like to ride with cars. Are there any places we could ride avoiding auto traffic?

24 minutes ago, PattyCakes17 said:

Guernsey cruiser, hope you’re still following the posts here. Thanks for all the most useful information. 

My friend and I would very much like to get ourselves over to Sark to ride bikes around the island.  Looking at the ferry schedule, as available now, I can’t make it work. We will be in Guernsey on Tuesday, September 19, 2023.  The times offered are depart at 10:15 return at 16. Our ship departs at 16:00 so no good. Is there a chance the schedules will change?  As a second option a bike ride around Guernsey would be fun, however, we don’t like to ride with cars. Are there any places we could ride avoiding auto traffic?

Be sure to check out the ship's excursions to Sark in addition to the published Isle of Sark Shipping timetables.   There is hopefully an excursion offering a return trip with biking on Sark.  

If not, there may be independent options for chartering a ride over.  When are you visiting? 

Edited by D C

21 hours ago, PattyCakes17 said:

Hi PattyCakes

I am still following the posts, but have been a little bit lapse over the last couple of months, with holidays and other matters.  I have had a look at the Sark Shipping timetable and re-confirm the times you have quoted.  To be honest, I am not sure they will change, you could email them directly to ask.  Personally I would see whether there is a tour from your ship, as they may have a separate ferry with guaranteed times around your port visit parameters.

With regards to a bike ride around Guernsey, you have two choices:-

1) Pick up the bike from the tender pier or close by.  There is a cycle path starting around 400 meters from the tender pier going north towards St Sampsons, otherwise you are on the road with other traffic.

2) Join a bike tour, where you are picked up from the pier in a mini-bus and then taken to the west coast where you pick up your bike, for a guide led tour, where there will be less traffic.

Whatever you choose to do when you are visiting our beautiful island, I wish you a wonderful time ashore.

On 11/12/2022 at 2:55 AM, D C said:

Never been, but we had a RIB trip scheduled/canceled (weather) in Jersey several years ago.  While highly rated, I'm not familiar enough with their Guernsey offerings to make a recommendation.   I looked at the Sark offering and having been around the island with a Sark local tour, it wasn't clear how much they covered in the allotted time. But there's no bad time to be had in Guernsey imho 🙂

I'm interested in what Guernseycruiser says about scones/cream tea.  My favorite place is on Sark as it reminds me of my Great grandmother's baking.  Not on the island, of course. 

On Guernsey, my first stop is a co-op (grocery) for gache (a bread) and butter.  It's getting late, but I may have to make scones in the morning, or dig out my Guernsey recipe book! 

Sorry D C for being so lapse in my response.  To be honest, I probably more of a "connoisseur" of scones/cream tea onboard cruise ships than I am here in Guernsey!!  I have had afternoon tea at La Barbarie Hotel, which was beautiful.  If you are looking within walking distance of the tender pier, I would recommend The Old Government House Hotel or Moores Hotel for scones/cream tea.  Cafe Emilia is a favourite of mine, they advertise Gache and tea cakes on their website, however usually have an amazing selection of delicious cakes,

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2022 at 6:00 PM, BIGAMP02 said:

Thanks so much!!

Yes, I have taken both the Herm and Sark Rib tours, and would highly recommend.  I am not sure what time the first trip is, I went on their website a few days ago, but could not see any times listed, perhaps you could email them to see when they will start advertising their 2023 tours.

Favourite passage grave - probably Le Dehus, but as this is a little off the usual routes, I would recommend Le Creux Es Faies

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, LindaConn said:

Does anyone know how to get between the German Museum and the Underground Hospital? I know Buses 91 and 92 go to the Museum and Bus 71 goes to the Tunnels/ Hospital, but how do you get between them?

Walking 🙂

This link will be helpful for planning: https://buses.gg/planner (Google maps seems to do this well if you click the public transit option, but lacks the timetables).  You'll start by the ship at the Town Terminus

The German Occupation Museum is just a bit off the route for bus 94 or 95 and very near the airport.  

For the Underground Hospital, it's bus 71.  

To get from the Museum to the Underground Hospital (or vice versa), your feet will be most efficient if you're able.  It's around a 20-25 minute walk.   You could take Bus 71 from one to the other as well. 

https://goo.gl/maps/LgQg8cwKhaiHnEtr9

Regardless of where you are headed, when you board the bus, let the driver know where it is that you would like to go.  They will drop you off at the appropriate spot along the way.  So in the case of the German Occupation Museum, you don't have to walk from the airport or anything of the sort.  They'll let you off at a more convenient spot. 

15 hours ago, LindaConn said:

Does anyone know how to get between the German Museum and the Underground Hospital? I know Buses 91 and 92 go to the Museum and Bus 71 goes to the Tunnels/ Hospital, but how do you get between them?

DC has very clearly answered your question with some extra bits of info.  I will just add a few comments:-

1) To go to the German Occupation Museum you can take either the 91, 93, 94 or 95.  I would not take the 92, as this goes anti-clockwise and will take quite some time.  Personally I would not take 91 as it will be busy.  Please remember to purchase an entrance ticket you need to have pounds sterling cash, they DO NOT accept any debit or credit cards.

2) You can transfer between the 2 sites using the 71, please note the 71 stops at the airport, which is about an 8 minute walk from the German Occupation Museum, whereas the 91, 93, 94 and 95 come from a different direction, therefore you would disembark at the bus stop before the airport, therefore a 5 minute walk

3) I would definitely not walk between the 2 sites.  I see that google quote 20/25 minutes.  In my opinion the walk would be much longer.  Both sites do not open until 10am.

4) You may wish to consider visiting The Little Chapel, this is on route 71, and also reasonable walking distance from the German Underground Hospital

5) To be honest, whilst this is all possible, I would really say only for people who are staying on the island, who have flexibility with their time.  With the 71 bus only going every hour, you will need to be extremely organised and very fixed to your timings to ensure you see everything.  You may end up rushing your visit to these places just to make sure that you catch the bus, this seems stressful when you are on vacation.  You could hire a private guide to take you to these attractions and provide a tour inside?  Or there is an operator who offers a small group tour to these sites plus the Little Chapel, www.toursofguernsey.com

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you a wonderful time ashore.  If you have any more questions, please feel free to post and I will do my best to help.

• Like 1

Just had another look at google maps.  I am not sure that you can access The German Underground Hospital from Rue des Buttes.  The only way in from my understanding is from La Vassalerie road, therefore that is why I am thinking the walking would take much longer than the approx 25 minutes quoted, you need to walk past The Last Post, therefore you are looking at least 35/40 minute walk.

7 hours ago, Guernseycruiser said:

Just had another look at google maps.  I am not sure that you can access The German Underground Hospital from Rue des Buttes.  The only way in from my understanding is from La Vassalerie road, therefore that is why I am thinking the walking would take much longer than the approx 25 minutes quoted, you need to walk past The Last Post, therefore you are looking at least 35/40 minute walk.

Google is certainly doing no favours with the location of the Underground Hospital, eh?  That does explain why Rue des Buttes didn't look familiar.   I suppose you could walk Mourants Rd South from the Underground Hospital to pick up the 94 or 95 towards the airport.  Not a short walk that way, and with bus 95 every 30 min, it might not save much time. 

I'll second the Little Chapel since it's close to the Underground Hospital.  But that visit isn't complete without getting a cup of Guernsey ice cream at the Guille Silver Shop!  ALSO stopping for some ice cream in town is highly recommended. 

An alternative to doing both the Occupation Museum and the Underground Hospital could be to do one of them and the la Vallette Underground Museum.  https://www.visitguernsey.com/experiences/activities/la-valette-underground-military-museum/  10-15 minute walk from Albert Pier and it's a nice walk past the bathing pools and a different perspective of Castle Cornet.  A climb to Clarence Battery offers a nice vantage point, too.    

3 hours ago, D C said:

Google is certainly doing no favours with the location of the Underground Hospital, eh?  That does explain why Rue des Buttes didn't look familiar.   I suppose you could walk Mourants Rd South from the Underground Hospital to pick up the 94 or 95 towards the airport.  Not a short walk that way, and with bus 95 every 30 min, it might not save much time. 

I'll second the Little Chapel since it's close to the Underground Hospital.  But that visit isn't complete without getting a cup of Guernsey ice cream at the Guille Silver Shop!  ALSO stopping for some ice cream in town is highly recommended. 

An alternative to doing both the Occupation Museum and the Underground Hospital could be to do one of them and the la Vallette Underground Museum.  https://www.visitguernsey.com/experiences/activities/la-valette-underground-military-museum/  10-15 minute walk from Albert Pier and it's a nice walk past the bathing pools and a different perspective of Castle Cornet.  A climb to Clarence Battery offers a nice vantage point, too.    

Yes, you could walk Mourants Rd South, but as you say it is not a short walk, and would not save that much time.  For cruise ship guests, I really do not recommend trying to fit everything in, using the public buses, especially if the last tender is 3pm (which it usually is for Princess).

Definitely second the "must" of tasting Guernsey ice cream.  Martyn Guille Silversmiths near to The Little Chapel sell small individual tubs.  If you are going to Castle Cornet, there is a kiosk close by that sells Guernsey ice cream.

Personally I would not visit both La Vallette Military Museum and the German Occupation Museum, as these sites both contain material from the Occupation (whereas the German Underground Hospital is completely different from both).  In my opinion the German Occupation Museum is far superior to the Military Museum, but agree the Military Museum is easier to access if you are arriving from a cruise ship.  Please note the steps to Clarence Battery are still closed due to a land slide.  You can still access Clarence Battery, however from the path which starts at the bottom of Le Val des Terres.

2 hours ago, Guernseycruiser said:

Yes, you could walk Mourants Rd South, but as you say it is not a short walk, and would not save that much time.  For cruise ship guests, I really do not recommend trying to fit everything in, using the public buses, especially if the last tender is 3pm (which it usually is for Princess).

Definitely second the "must" of tasting Guernsey ice cream.  Martyn Guille Silversmiths near to The Little Chapel sell small individual tubs.  If you are going to Castle Cornet, there is a kiosk close by that sells Guernsey ice cream.

Personally I would not visit both La Vallette Military Museum and the German Occupation Museum, as these sites both contain material from the Occupation (whereas the German Underground Hospital is completely different from both).  In my opinion the German Occupation Museum is far superior to the Military Museum, but agree the Military Museum is easier to access if you are arriving from a cruise ship.  Please note the steps to Clarence Battery are still closed due to a land slide.  You can still access Clarence Battery, however from the path which starts at the bottom of Le Val des Terres.

I hadn't heard about the landslide. Thanks for that.  One of our favorites is to walk from town up to the battery and follow the cliff path to Fermain Bay. 

Last time we were there we took a Guernsey walking tour with Annette Henry (annettehenrytours.gg) which was amazing! She limits her tour to a small group. Her presentation of info re the island holds your attention throughout the tour. It was one of the most unique tours we have ever taken due to her presentation. Highly recommend if you want to know a lot about the island. Enjoy your trip

For those of you who are interested in visiting Hauteville House (the one time home of the famous writer Victor Hugo) when you are visiting Guernsey, I confirm that their website is now open for online bookings from 1st May.  At the moment, it looks like there is one English speaking tour per hour, max 10 people, however they may open up more tours in a few months time.  Tour takes approx 1 hour, you are only able to view the house whilst on a guided tour.  I highly recommend a visit.  Please note you can walk from the tender pier to the house, it will take approx 10/15 minutes, however is all uphill, therefore not suitable for anyone with mobility issues (to be honest the house does not have a lift, therefore there are a number of stairs to negotiate inside, therefore again not suitable for those with mobility issues).  They are closed on Wednesday's.

https://eppm-billetterie-hautevillehouse.shop.secutix.com/selection/timeslotpass?productId=101985657818&ot=1

I am doing a ship excursion called Pepper Port Ramble. Any thoughts on this excursion? Here is the description: Walk a coastal trail that will introduce you to some of Guernsey’s most spectacular vistas and a bit of military history as well. The trail begins at the landmark Pepper Pot watch tower that overlooks Fermain Bay, and before long you will be walking amid the bluebells and white garlic that blanket the woodlands. After passing a German military cemetery from World War II and a former barracks near the site of Fort George, you will descend to Clarence Battery, one of the few remaining parts of the original fort. The military importance of this elevated vantage point will be obvious as you gaze out over the islands of Sark and Brecqhou to the east and St. Peter Port below. A maze of sea-level tunnels at La Vallette is another reminder of the German’s wartime occupation of Guernsey. After pausing for a refreshing beverage at a nearby café, you will continue along the beach to the harbor.

5 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

I am doing a ship excursion called Pepper Port Ramble. Any thoughts on this excursion? Here is the description: Walk a coastal trail that will introduce you to some of Guernsey’s most spectacular vistas and a bit of military history as well. The trail begins at the landmark Pepper Pot watch tower that overlooks Fermain Bay, and before long you will be walking amid the bluebells and white garlic that blanket the woodlands. After passing a German military cemetery from World War II and a former barracks near the site of Fort George, you will descend to Clarence Battery, one of the few remaining parts of the original fort. The military importance of this elevated vantage point will be obvious as you gaze out over the islands of Sark and Brecqhou to the east and St. Peter Port below. A maze of sea-level tunnels at La Vallette is another reminder of the German’s wartime occupation of Guernsey. After pausing for a refreshing beverage at a nearby café, you will continue along the beach to the harbor.

That walk is the opposite of what I mentioned up in post 66. Great walk along the cliff path. 

When are you travelling? As Guernseycruiser mentioned above, there was a landslide at the steps leading to (or down from in your case) Clarence Battery.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-guernsey-64051317  That story says they hope to have them reopened sometime in 2023.   

Landslip at the steps up to the Clarence Battery

That's Clarence battery up top in that photo.   With the steps closed, there is no way down from there, so your walk would be almost impossible to do (unless you backtracked to the green circle in the snip below)

If the stairs are open, it's a wonderful walk with fantastic scenery. We generally start in town and plan the walk to we arrive at the Fermain Beach cafe in time for a pint and some lunch 🙂  This pic shows the pier area in pink, the approximate path from Pepper Pot to Clarence Battery in yellow.  Fermain beach cafe that I mentioned is down on the beach below where your starting point would be (thus the name 🤪).

image.thumb.png.6373e96f52cfbe058dbf2f08f20f1fad.png

22 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

September 2023

Hopefully the stairs will be fixed by then.  It is a very nice walk. It's also very doable without a paid excursion if you're up to going alone and skipping the guide's narrative.  If you start out fresh from the tender, you'll have plenty of time to look about town afterwards as well. 

4 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

Excursion is included in the price of the cruise and no credit if we don’t take one, so we thought it would be more informative with someone who knew the area.

Gotcha. Then a guided walk would be nice! 

On 2/10/2023 at 1:18 PM, pappy1022 said:

Hi

I agree with DC that this is a nice cliff walk, however please note the following:-

1. This is a cliff walk, starting a sea level, climbing a number of steps to vantage points, before walking downhill to La Vallette.  For guests who prefer to walk on the flat, this is not a recommended tour.

2. You will only see the tunnel entrances, unless you are actually visiting La Vallette Military Museum, which I don't think you are from the description provided.

3. Bluebells will not be in view in the woodlands at that time of year.  They are only in view for a few weeks or so early in the season.

4 The views that you see over the other islands of Herm, Jethou, Sark and Brecqhou will be views that you will see from your cruise ship.

Sorry if this appears negative, it is not meant to be.  In all, as I say this is a very nice cliff walk that I have walked many times, however I think personally when I am visiting places around the world that I am unsure if I will visit again, I try to see as much as possible.  With this tour, you will be transported approx 1.5 miles from St Peter Port, and then walk back along the east coast, with views across to the other islands that you can see from your ship/tender.  The cemetery and Clarence Battery are worth a visit.  If you have visited Guernsey previously, or will be visiting again, then this tour would be recommended.  Whatever you choose to do, I wish you a wonderful time ashore.