St Peter Port - Guernsey - port of call information

1 hour ago, pappy1022 said:

Thank you for your honest opinion. Our cruise line includes shore excursions and the options are limited for this port. We will have plenty of time to wander around on our own after this excursion and we intend to do so.

What are the other options?  A portion of this walk could be done on your own before/after a different excursion. 

On 3/7/2022 at 3:24 AM, Guernseycruiser said:

I am not aware of any operators providing small group tours where you can purchase individual tickets.  Tours of Guernsey (www.toursofguernsey.com) offer bespoke tours for groups (I think you need to organise your own group), and are highly recommended on TripAdvisor etc.

Thanks for this information! We just booked with Tours of Guernsey for our June 2023 cruise. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, D C said:

What are the other options?  A portion of this walk could be done on your own before/after a different excursion. 

All are sold out at this time but we could get waitlisted. Here are a couple of them: 

ST.PETER PORT & CASTLE CORNET

Minimal Activity Required
DURATION: 3 HOURS
TOUR CODE: GCI-008
Price:

FREE

HIGHLIGHTS
  • Take a guided walk through the steep cobbled lanes of what was once a medieval mercenary’s haven.
  • Learn how a history of legalized piracy – and legitimate wine trade – created great wealth here.
  • Tour the imposing bastion known as Castle Cornet, where many entered and rather fewer returned. 
  • Spend time after the guided walk exploring the Castle’s museums or St. Peter Port harbor further.
  • THE GERMAN MILITARY OCCUPATION OF GUERNS

TOUR CODE: GCI-004
    Price:

FREE

HIGHLIGHTS
    • Visit places where the tumultuous World War II occupation of Guernsey by German troops comes alive.
    • Visit La Vallette Military Museum. 
    • Photo stop at Martello Tower with a spectacular overlook at Vazon Bay.

SEE

4 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

All are sold out at this time but we could get waitlisted. Here are a couple of them: 

ST.PETER PORT & CASTLE CORNET

Minimal Activity Required
TOUR CODE: GCI-008
Price:

FREE

HIGHLIGHTS
  • Take a guided walk through the steep cobbled lanes of what was once a medieval mercenary’s haven.
  • Learn how a history of legalized piracy – and legitimate wine trade – created great wealth here.
  • Tour the imposing bastion known as Castle Cornet, where many entered and rather fewer returned. 
  • Spend time after the guided walk exploring the Castle’s museums or St. Peter Port harbor further.
  • THE GERMAN MILITARY OCCUPATION OF GUERNS

TOUR CODE: GCI-004
    Price:

FREE

HIGHLIGHTS
    • Visit places where the tumultuous World War II occupation of Guernsey by German troops comes alive.
    • Visit La Vallette Military Museum. 
    • Photo stop at Martello Tower with a spectacular overlook at Vazon Bay.

SEE

Of those, the German Military Occupation one makes me most want to be back on Guernsey 🙂

It takes you from town to the other side of the island, which is a nice look at things. 
The La Vallette Museum is a good look at Guernsey during the Occupation.  Pleinmont Point offers one of the most beautiful vantage points of the southern cliffs, and has some German emplacements/towers you may not see otherwise.  Ft Hommet is your stop along the west coast, which is an interesting blend of fortifications (my avatar is sunset at Ft Hommet).   It's not quite a round-island tour, but it's a nice start.  This is where it stops on a map: https://goo.gl/maps/CJkhyy3GtTJ4JUcb6

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up for everyone, Hauteville House (the once home of the famous writer Victor Hugo) has now opened up their online booking system for 2023.  The link is below

https://www.maisonsvictorhugo.paris.fr/en/museum-collections/house-visit-guernsey

You need to scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Your visit in Guernsey", and everything should be straight forward from there.  Please note at the moment, they are only offering English speaking tours every hour, and they are not open on a Wednesday.  You can walk from the tender pier to the house, however as mentioned previously, it is a very steep walk, so not for those who have mobility issues (to be honest as the house has a number of stairs, inside is also not suitable for those with mobility issues) and you need to arrive no later than 15 minutes before the start of the tour.  I highly recommend a visit, the interior decoration is "out of this world".

Another heads up.  Island Rib Voyages have released their April, May and June schedules for 2023, with the remainder of the season to be released shortly.

https://islandribvoyages.com/

I have personally been on their Herm and Sark tours, and highly recommend them.  Availability is limited so I would book early to secure your spaces.  They usually meet on the "Crown Pier" which is the pier next one down from the tender pier, approx 5 minute walk.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have been to Guernsey previously, or are looking for something that is local produce orientated, Rocquette Cider have just released their 2023 tour dates for booking.  Please note the nearest bus stop is approx 15 minute walk to the site (it is on the same route as The Little Chapel and The German Underground Hospital, but you need to be clear on where you are walking), therefore you may wish to pre-book a taxi or include this within an island tour.

I highly recommend this tour, I have been on this a few times with different family, friends and work colleagues.

https://www.rocquettecider.com/#home

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 6:24 PM, Guernseycruiser said:

Hi Everyone

As a local Guernsey person, I can't wait to see the cruise ships back in our waters in less than 2 months time.  I have tried to find an old Guernsey thread with information, however have gone back over 20 pages (and 2 years) to no avail, so I thought I would start a new thread.  To be honest, much of the information on the old thread would now be out of date anyway, so why not start out new!

A few quick points of information:

Guernsey is a tender port, with a picturesque tender ride into our beautiful town

The main street is less than 100 meters from the tender pier

Whilst there is a "round the island bus" (it is currently GBP5 per person however is due to increase shortly), this will not take you to the main attractions, therefore I do not recommend this.  It is the same price to "hop on" and "hop off" buses all day.

Whilst St Peter Port is a beautiful town, why not also venture further afield to see what Guernsey as an island has to offer

I DO NOT recommend hiring a car, unless you are used to driving on the left hand side of the road, and you are used to driving in small lanes that sometimes are only one car width wide

There are many interesting place to visit, and it depends upon your interests: The Little Chapel, The German Occupation Museum, The German Underground Hospital, Castle Cornet, Victor Hugo's House to name just a few

Guernsey was occupied by the Germans during WW2, and there are many extremely interesting museums and fortifications that you can visit.  Some have had enhancements in the last two years, and there are some additional fortifications that are now accessible which were previously not open to the public

Victor Hugo lived in exile here for 15 years, and the only property he ever owned during his lifetime is located in Guernsey, which is open to the public for tours

For those of you who have read or seen the film "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society", you will know that the author took inspiration whilst she was visiting Guernsey, and some guides offer tours based on the book/film

For those of you who have visited before, you may wish to consider a day trip to either Sark or Herm.  These are small islands located close by.

Guernsey has its own currency (Guernsey Pound) which ranks 1:1 with the British Pound.  You can only spend Guernsey notes in Guernsey, and whilst you may wish to take home some as a memento, if you are spending cash, please ask for your change "in English".  Cards are widely accepted, however please note it is "cash only" to enter the German Occupation Museum.  If you end up with Guernsey currency at the end of your cruise, you can exchange this at any UK bank, which should still be on a 1:1 basis.

Please feel free to ask any questions, and I will do my best to answer.

GuernseyCruiser

Just to clarify-- if I was interested in the bus day pass, can that be purchased on the bus or ahead of time?  Also, what bus goes to the little chapel?

On 4/13/2023 at 6:23 AM, Beeboy55 said:

Just to clarify-- if I was interested in the bus day pass, can that be purchased on the bus or ahead of time?  Also, what bus goes to the little chapel?

The bus day pass can either be purchased on the bus as you enter, or at the bus information centre, no need to purchase ahead of time.  The bus to the Little Chapel (which is also the bus to the German Underground Hospital) is bus no 71.

15 hours ago, Guernseycruiser said:

The bus day pass can either be purchased on the bus as you enter, or at the bus information centre, no need to purchase ahead of time.  The bus to the Little Chapel (which is also the bus to the German Underground Hospital) is bus no 71.

Did the busses change to a "no cash" policy? I seem to recall seeing that. 

And any progress on the stairs to Clarence Battery? Haven't found anything online since an article that was hopeful that they'd be repaired this year. 

So envious of everyone who is visiting this year!  Still holding onto a thread of hope that we can fly over in July.  

On 8/11/2022 at 2:07 PM, Berta said:

Thanks for the info.  We really enjoyed Sark the last time we were there.  We are bringing our kids and grandkids this time and would love to take them there.  Is there an affordable option of getting over to Sark once we tender into the dock?  

On 8/12/2022 at 6:34 PM, D C said:

And do beware if you go to Sark on your own.  If you catch traffic at the wrong time, it's sheep gridlock. This chaotic seen just outside our B&B as we tried to make it to dinner one evening.

image.png.3433b42111fb12f07213e42d654c2aff.png

image.thumb.png.526605c3b5d945c8a9a383112c27557f.png

On 8/12/2022 at 6:20 PM, Guernseycruiser said:

I would check out the timetable for the Sark ferry to see if it works for you.  The bicycle rental is a great idea by D C as you will see much more of the island.  They do have E-Bikes for rent as well it you prefer, these are probably limited in availability (my friends rented the last 3 that were available on the day earlier this week, it was not a cruise ship day, and even then ended up renting from 2 different providers).

https://www.sarkshipping.gg/timetables

The timetable sometimes varies, so you are best to check the date you will be arriving by starting a "dummy booking" which will provide the exact departure times.

Can you tell me how easy it would be to get from where the cruise ship tenders in to the ferry to Sark?  We are planning to get ferry tickets but not sure if we  can walk to the ferry?

2 hours ago, Berta said:

Can you tell me how easy it would be to get from where the cruise ship tenders in to the ferry to Sark?  We are planning to get ferry tickets but not sure if we  can walk to the ferry?

It's not a long walk at all, and being along the waterfront it's flat.  

https://goo.gl/maps/LkUsLqbrxFECj3438

Do the ferry schedules work with your arrival and departure times?  The ship might offer excursions to Sark as an alternative.

Edited by D C

On 4/15/2023 at 3:23 AM, D C said:

Did the busses change to a "no cash" policy? I seem to recall seeing that. 

And any progress on the stairs to Clarence Battery? Haven't found anything online since an article that was hopeful that they'd be repaired this year. 

So envious of everyone who is visiting this year!  Still holding onto a thread of hope that we can fly over in July.  

Yes you are correct, the buses are "no cash", this policy was instigated during COVID.  Also unfortunately American Express is not accepted as a form of payment on the public buses.  No progress on the steps to Clarence Battery, and sorry no news or timescale on when they will be repaired.

• Thanks 1