Cruise Care by Celebrity as opposed to independant travel insurance ?

horseymike

Hi everyone,

Nice to be back in Cruise Mode Again !

I would like to hear opinions on the pros and cons of "Cruise Care" offered by Celebrity as opposed to obtaining private insurance to cover a cruise.

By cover , I am referring to fare , medical care , medical transportation, lost or damaged luggage ect. I am not referring to any airfare arriving or returning

from a cruise under "normal " conditions

Thanks in advance for your responses.

In most cases, you can get better coverage with a third party plan. Unless you have existing medical coverage that covers you outside of the country, or you are in your late 70s or older look elsewhere.

• Cruise care medical covers only $25K any it only pays after you file with any other medical insurance you might have.  If something serious happens, $25K is not enough. Third party plans often cover $100K or more, and many act as the primary payer.
  • Cruise Care has no waiver of pre-existing conditions for medical, cancelation, trip interruption and most other coverages.  Many people have what the insurance companies define as a pre-existing conditions without realizing it. Most third party plans waive pre-existing conditions as long as you meet their requirements.  Typically you may need to buy the plan within x days of making you first trip payment.  You often have to insure the full non-refundable cost of the trip. Rules vary by plan.
  • Third party plan premiums vary with age, while Cruise Care does not. As one gets older, sometimes the premiums get very expensive.

“Pre-Existing Condition” means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60 day period immediatelyprior to the Effective Date of Your coverage for which You or Your Traveling Companion or Family Member scheduled or booked to travel with You: 1) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment; or 2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item (2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60 day period before Your coverage is effective under this Certificate.

• Thanks 1

I will speak towards only the medical coverage issue since that is my personal expertise (I worked in the government medical insurance industry for over thirty years).  I always like to remind fellow cruisers that your maximum liability for a cancelled cruise is what you paid for the cruise/air.  Even if you were to lose all that money it would likely not be a life changer or you would not have booked that cruise in the first place.  But your potential liability for a medical issue is truly unlimited.  

Most polities sold by cruise lines have relatively low medical maximums (generally ranging between $10,000 and $25,000 depending on the policy.  A major medical problem can easily involve costs far in excess of $25,000.  In fact, $100,000 medical bills are not all that rare.  

So getting back to the OP I think you need to look at that policy and see if the medical coverage is enough to make you feel comfortable (in the business we call that "risk tolerance.").  You might have additional coverage through your normal medical insurance so that is something of which you should be aware.  If you are uncomfortable with the medical coverage then you should consider looking at the private travel/travel medical insurance market.  There are some decent web sites like insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com where you can compare policies from various companies.  You can also contact a decent travel cruise broker such as Steve Dasseos at the tripinsurancestore.com.  I only mention Steve because he is often featured here on CC and has an excellent reputation.  But there are other decent brokers out in the world.  But I prefer brokers to agents of specific companies because a broker (like Steve) sells policies from multiple companies and can usually find a policy that will best fit your personal needs/wants.

Hank

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...