Connecting in Calgary

bookbabe

Quick question for those with relatively recent experience connecting in Calgary…

For our May Alaska cruise out of Seattle, our Westjet flights from Pearson to SeaTac connect in Calgary, with 1.5hr to connect on the way there, and 2hr on the way back.  

We have Nexus, but we will have checked bags.  We’re not as worried about the return, but on the way to Seattle, will our bags be checked all the way through, or will we have to collect them and recheck them when we go through US immigration in Calgary?

We rarely do connecting flights, and even more rarely with checked bags, and when we do, it’s always a connection at a US airport.  I’m not so much worried about the timing, since with Nexus we usually get through the lines pretty fast, I’m just uncertain as to whether we have to wait for luggage first, or if we can just head to US pre-clearance right away.

I’ve googled a fair bit, but have come up with different answers from different sources, so I’m hoping someone with recent experience could comment.  Thanks!

Thanks for 

As long as you are booked all the way on Westjet you should be fine - no need to collect your checked bags and I have always found the US Customs pre clearance at YYC to be friendly and efficient.

https://www.yyc.com/en-us/travellerinfo/flyhealthyyyc/connections.aspx

90 minutes should be ok, keep in mind taxi times at YYC are very quick compared to YYZ.

I always seem to find myself inside the terminal before the scheduled arrival time - assuming we left on time 🙂

Here's hoping that no one will be waiting to jam swabs up your nose by the time you return 👍

Edited by Brian V
Added link to YYC website
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If both flights are on the same ticket, you check in once and receive boarding passes for both flights and your bags will be checked through. However, depending on length of layover (typically 8 hrs +), you may have to pick up bags and check in again for second flight.

If you are flying standby or have two separately ticketed flights, you will likely have to collect bags and check in again for the next flight.

Not sure why Brian mentions taxis?

19 minutes ago, dawnvip said:

Not sure why Brian mentions taxis?

I meant taxiing around the airport, from the runway to the gate - Calgary has a really good layout that minimizes the time spent from touchdown until you get off the plane, never more than 3 or 4 minutes.

Definitely not the taxis outside, those are the worst 😞

Keep forgetting that not everyone worked in the airline biz...

Edited by Brian V

Thanks!  We are ticketed for both flights under the same reservation number, so I’ll assume we’ll have bags checked through and that 1.5hrs will give us more than enough time to deal with the US pre-clearance and security, especially with Nexus and premium seats.

I’m looking forward to the extra hour of layover time on the return trip, since I’ve heard good things about the WJ lounge in Calgary and have always wanted to check it out.

Thanks again for the local perspective.  Calgary’s a new airport for us.

Depending on where you leave from for the USA after you arrive  in Calgary, use the railway transit in the terminal. A little train like transit which boogies around on tracks, YYC is @ big complex and  the walk from domestic to international can be long. They even have signs as you begin some hikes stating  the walk to concourse “X”  is approximately 20 minutes!  Don’t get caught!  

• Like 1

Your bags will likely be checked through on the way to SeaTac.   We just did this from YVR - MCO and this is how it works in Calgary.  I can't comment on the process coming home - 

Although the bags are checked through, you will go through US customs in Calgary airport.  After you disembark the aircraft you will have to go through international security and after you make it through security you will be sent to a waiting area until your bags clear through to US customs.  Westjet officials will be there to guide you through the process.  Because you're not collecting them and putting them on a belt you have to "confirm" the bags with an official.  Once they "clear"  you will proceed through US customs and board your flight to Seattle.   The wait took us about 15 minutes - no big deal.   I think our connection time was about an hour and 15 and although we didn't have a tonne of time to spare we made it.   

I strongly urge you to make sure ALL your bags clear before you go through.  We didn't and my bag didn't make it before our 7 day cruise in the caribbean.   I had a very frantic trip to Target at 11:00 at night to grab some basics for our cruise lol

• Like 1