Rental car in Isafjordur, Iceland

p_e_snyder

We want to rent a car for the day while in port in Isafjordur, Iceland in May. Hertz has a sateliite office at the airport. I am worried about getting a cab from the port to the airport, has anyone done this? Also, we want to drive to the West Fords, I saw that the ring 2 road is open, so hoping that has made the roads more drivable. Has anyone done this? Thanks! We will be there June 6th, 2021

I don't understand the second half of your question.  Isafjordur is in the West Fjords (sometimes referred to as the capital of the WF), so you are already there.  I have never hear of Ring 2 Road, so please help me out with what you are referring to.

We spent a week in the WF about 5 years ago and love that area so much.  Most roads were good back then, some required a vehicle with extra ground clearance, like the road to Latrabjarg.  That road is still pretty bad and quite narrow on the edge of a cliff in places

I do not know if the Hertz office at the airport brings cars to the port - you have to contact them and ask.  
Note that car rental in Iceland is expensive, it takes longer to drive a route as many roads are gravel roads and be sure to have a good insurance as cars are easily damaged on the roads.  Also rental cars are not allowed to drive on all roads.
Link to West Fjords Ring Road 2

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I don't understand the second half of your question.  Isafjordur is in the West Fjords (sometimes referred to as the capital of the WF), so you are already there.  I have never hear of Ring 2 Road, so please help me out with what you are referring to.

We spent a week in the WF about 5 years ago and love that area so much.  Most roads were good back then, some required a vehicle with extra ground clearance, like the road to Latrabjarg.  That road is still pretty bad and quite narrow on the edge of a cliff in places

Sorry, should have said drive around the West Fordes. Iceland Ring Road 2: Route of the Westfjords | Reykjavik Cars. Ring Road 2 is the new road that rings around the West Fords. Thanks for the info

3 hours ago, hallasm said:

I do not know if the Hertz office at the airport brings cars to the port - you have to contact them and ask.  
Note that car rental in Iceland is expensive, it takes longer to drive a route as many roads are gravel roads and be sure to have a good insurance as cars are easily damaged on the roads.  Also rental cars are not allowed to drive on all roads.
Link to West Fjords Ring Road 2

Thanks. I contacted them and they do not bring cars to the port. That's why I was asking about cab service at the port. I'll make sure I get a car from them that has good clearance. Our excursion on the cruise is $325 per person, there are 4 of us. So, I can get a rental car for $400 with insurance, that just seems a no brainer, but I don't know about getting a cab from the port to the airport and back again at the end of the day.

On 3/6/2022 at 9:57 AM, p_e_snyder said:

Our excursion on the cruise is $325 per person, there are 4 of us. So, I can get a rental car for $400 with insurance, that just seems a no brainer, but I don't know about getting a cab from the port to the airport and back again at the end of the day.

Just throwing this out there: have you looked into private shore excursions, say with Wild Westfjords?

https://www.wildwestfjords.com/

On 3/6/2022 at 11:43 AM, hallasm said:

You might find more information here

Tourist information office:

Aðalstræti 7, 400 Ísafjörður, Iceland

Tel: (+354)-450-8060

E-mail: info@vestfirdir.is 

Taxi available at 

+354 456-3518

+ 354 865-3709

+354 895-3595

Also possible tour company

Thanks, I was hoping not to use my phone there, but I might have to. I am going to look into booking a reservation beforehand online with a taxi company

On 3/6/2022 at 9:55 AM, p_e_snyder said:

Sorry, should have said drive around the West Fordes. Iceland Ring Road 2: Route of the Westfjords | Reykjavik Cars. Ring Road 2 is the new road that rings around the West Fords. Thanks for the info

Ahhh.  That's really just advertising.  There aren't any new roads around the WF, the way these fjords were created by nature you can't really "drive around them" in any sort of circle.  They have improved some of the roads, but the coolest ones are still pretty rough and you have to take them out and then back to see the most incredible sites

• 11 months later...
On 3/5/2022 at 5:16 PM, p_e_snyder said:

We want to rent a car for the day while in port in Isafjordur, Iceland in May. Hertz has a sateliite office at the airport. I am worried about getting a cab from the port to the airport, has anyone done this? Also, we want to drive to the West Fords, I saw that the ring 2 road is open, so hoping that has made the roads more drivable. Has anyone done this? Thanks! We will be there June 6th, 2021

Hi,  we are looking to do this in July.  What did you end up doing and how did it go? Please share! Thanks!