Seattle Pre-Cruise Hotel Recommendation

islesdave

Last year we stayed at the Crowne Plaza Downtown Seattle and I would probably pick it again if I returned. Pros were nice huge rooms, a couple of basic amenities like a restaurant, grab and go snack stand, and a small business center. We were also able to fairly easy, 15 minute walk to Pike Place Market (although as a note the way back was uphill and could be a tad challenging). We could also walk to a nearby Target and a mall (which had a Din Tai Fung!), and it was right off the highway (yet still quiet). There are also some less desirable and potentially not safe streets, but I didn't feel that at all near the hotel. It was a pretty quiet neighborhood. The day of the cruise we got a taxi and only had a 15ish minute ride to the port. I remember as I was searching around for a reservation it was one of the better deals I could find.

I can only really think of two minor cons. One was that the building is a fairly narrow but tall tower, so all the rooms are basically right next to or across from the elevator. At first I thought it would be an issue because we would hear people all day and night, but since there aren't many units on each floor it's not like a lot of people are really coming and going through the small hallway. The other was that the hotel was in a business district and it was challenging to find casual (aka not businessy take your client for a steak) restaurants open within a two block radius on weekends. For example, I arrived on a Saturday afternoon and wanted a quick lunch without wandering too far and one of the only things open was a Subway. Then for dinner we also wanted to do something easy and not venture out too far, and all I could find was a MOD Pizza. This probably isn't an issue for people who hit the ground running and are always out and exploring, but not great if you are tired from travel and just want something quick and easy. It did seem like there were a lot of lunch places open during the week, probably to appeal to people working in the nearby offices. 

1 hour ago, Boozy O Croozy said:

If one were staying at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront, would it be safe to walk the 2 blocks or so to Have a Heart dispensary?

Yes, it’s a safe area although it would be best if you weren’t walking alone late at night. The elevator just south of the Marriott is supposed to be open by the end of this month giving you another option to get up the hill. There are a few dispensaries in the same general area, Have a Heart, Lux, Bakeree & Shawn Kemps.

• Like 2

In a few weeks we will be staying in Seattle for 2 nights before we catch our cruise. We are looking at the Westin Motel Downtown. Any information about the Motel or area would be appreciated. It looks very close to the Pikes Market and a very short walk to the monorail station which will take us to the space needle. 

Thanks in advance .

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@tectop,  Westin Hotel?

If so, centrally located, easy walk to the Monorail, the light rail station, as well as Pike Place Market.  Also very close to Nordstrom, and Bartell's a local drugstore where you can buy any sundries that you have forgotten, or beer or wine.

Thank you very much. Can't wait to get there. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 9:56 PM, scottca075 said:

I love the Kimpton Vintage. I've been staying there since Kimpton opened the hotel.

The rest are all fine though.

Bumping this up because we are staying 2 nights at the Kimpton Vintage 2 nights before our cruise. I love Kimptons and have stayed at them all over! Anyway, just wanted your thoughts on best way to get to the hotel from the airport and then to pier 91 from the hotel? I'm planning on just Ubering unless there's a better suggestion? It will be 2 adults and we'll each have one large piece of luggage and one carry on if that matters. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, andie1969 said:

Bumping this up because we are staying 2 nights at the Kimpton Vintage 2 nights before our cruise. I love Kimptons and have stayed at them all over! Anyway, just wanted your thoughts on best way to get to the hotel from the airport and then to pier 91 from the hotel? I'm planning on just Ubering unless there's a better suggestion? It will be 2 adults and we'll each have one large piece of luggage and one carry on if that matters. Thanks!

Uber is what I do. Make reservations for Tulio, if you like Italian and don't have two other dinner spots in mind already.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 9:38 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

@tectop,  Westin Hotel?

If so, centrally located, easy walk to the Monorail, the light rail station, as well as Pike Place Market.  Also very close to Nordstrom, and Bartell's a local drugstore where you can buy any sundries that you have forgotten, or beer or wine.

Thank you for the tip on Bartell's - I was looking for a sundries market nearby to grab some snacks and wine!

• Like 1

@dman1 I would check in to getting vans and do the booking before you get there.  With a large party plus luggage you need a little extra help.  You dont want services to be spread thin on embarkation day with so many other people needing services, leaving it to the last minute sounds unwise.

Seattle Express is highly rated and offer services from sea tac and the cruise port

• Thanks 1

Ok!  I just read through this entire 8 page thread hoping to find recommendations for our situation but didn’t see any.  We are driving in from Oregon and planning to stay one night and then cruise out of pier 91 the next day. (Next May, I’m an early planner). Any suggestions for park & cruise packages?  I don’t really care where we stay…. Closer to the pier seems to make the most sense but I’m getting the idea that there aren’t hotels near pier 91?   Clean and safe would be our top priorities, besides the parking of course. 

6 hours ago, Octavias said:

Ok!  I just read through this entire 8 page thread hoping to find recommendations for our situation but didn’t see any.  We are driving in from Oregon and planning to stay one night and then cruise out of pier 91 the next day. (Next May, I’m an early planner). Any suggestions for park & cruise packages?  I don’t really care where we stay…. Closer to the pier seems to make the most sense but I’m getting the idea that there aren’t hotels near pier 91?   Clean and safe would be our top priorities, besides the parking of course. 

Excellent question.  First off, your observation of no hotels near Pier 91 is totally correct.  It is a very industrial area, and accessed by a bridge.

Not all hotels advertise park and cruise packages, which are identical to park and fly packages.  A good way to handle this is to call the hotel direct and speak with their front desk.  The local management knows better how they handle park and fly/cruise packages.    It doesn't matter if you use a park and fly package for your cruise, the hotel won't care, but they do want to know when you will be back to retrieve your car and your package price will be based on the number of days the car stays at the hotel.

We also drive to the port when doing Alaska cruises.  We don't try to be near downtown, no real need if our goal is to drive in the night before, get some sleep, leave the car parked and get transportation to the pier.  I highly recommend the Ceaderbrook Lodge.  It is in the Seatac area, but is more secluded and is a much higher end location.  They do offer a park and fly package.  It isn't the least expensive, but the location feels more secure than other airport hotels which offer the park and flys and the accommodations are better than a regular hotel.

We use Uber or Lyft to get to and from the pier.  We aren't much into regular taxis and the pricing of Seattle Express shuttles isn't better than pricing from a carshare service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeromep said:

Excellent question.  First off, your observation of no hotels near Pier 91 is totally correct.  It is a very industrial area, and accessed by a bridge.

Not all hotels advertise park and cruise packages, which are identical to park and fly packages.  A good way to handle this is to call the hotel direct and speak with their front desk.  The local management knows better how they handle park and fly/cruise packages.    It doesn't matter if you use a park and fly package for your cruise, the hotel won't care, but they do want to know when you will be back to retrieve your car and your package price will be based on the number of days the car stays at the hotel.

We also drive to the port when doing Alaska cruises.  We don't try to be near downtown, no real need if our goal is to drive in the night before, get some sleep, leave the car parked and get transportation to the pier.  I highly recommend the Ceaderbrook Lodge.  It is in the Seatac area, but is more secluded and is a much higher end location.  They do offer a park and fly package.  It isn't the least expensive, but the location feels more secure than other airport hotels which offer the park and flys and the accommodations are better than a regular hotel.

We use Uber or Lyft to get to and from the pier.  We aren't much into regular taxis and the pricing of Seattle Express shuttles isn't better than pricing from a carshare service.

Thank you!  I will check it out.  

I did find one a little closer to pier 91 that (I’m told) does a park and cruise/fly.  Has anyone heard of the Warwick hotel?  Apparently they do a package that includes parking and breakfast.  Are they clean and safe though? 

@Octavias

If you don’t find a park & cruise package look at the Mediterranean Inn. It’s one of the closer hotels to pier 91 and they do have parking while you’re there. You could stay and park there for the night and then park at Seattle Cruise Parking for the cruise. They have shuttles to the pier every 10 minutes.

https://www.seattlecruiseparking.com/

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 8:59 AM, Glaciers said:

@Octavias

If you don’t find a park & cruise package look at the Mediterranean Inn. It’s one of the closer hotels to pier 91 and they do have parking while you’re there. You could stay and park there for the night and then park at Seattle Cruise Parking for the cruise. They have shuttles to the pier every 10 minutes.

https://www.seattlecruiseparking.com/

We are staying at the Mediterranean on 6/24 before leaving on the Westerdam the next day. We are arriving late morning and they will let you drop your luggage til your room is ready.

• Like 2

@Octavias do you own due diligence on the hotel and garage on Google maps.  The reviews for garage does not sound user friendly, nor does the hotel.  

Check the prices and consider the Master Park Garage at SeaTac.  Valet parking, secure building.  There is Crown Plaza 1 1/2 block south.  When you return from your cruise, you can get a cruise service bus to airport then call for the shuttle van to the garage.  It is my go to parking when I fly out of SEA.

The only hotel I have used downtown with parking was The Paramount.  I don't know their prices nor if they do long term as you need 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

@Octavias do you own due diligence on the hotel and garage on Google maps.  The reviews for garage does not sound user friendly, nor does the hotel.  

Check the prices and consider the Master Park Garage at SeaTac.  Valet parking, secure building.  There is Crown Plaza 1 1/2 block south.  When you return from your cruise, you can get a cruise service bus to airport then call for the shuttle van to the garage.  It is my go to parking when I fly out of SEA.

The only hotel I have used downtown with parking was The Paramount.  I don't know their prices nor if they do long term as you need 

Yes, you are right.  I didn’t even think to check google reviews, thanks for the reminder.  I can’t figure out how to check the parking but the hotel reviews are enough to scare me away.  

On 6/2/2023 at 11:12 AM, jackinelgin said:

We are staying at the Mediterranean on 6/24 before leaving on the Westerdam the next day. We are arriving late morning and they will let you drop your luggage til your room is ready.

Thanks for the suggestion, I’m looking into the Mediterranean now.  
my husband works for the government and we have gotten a discounted rate at Fairmont in the past, so I plan to pencil out that option as well.  
glad I have some options to look at, thank you!