Would appreciate opinions on the Las Calestas Hideaway excursion

tradingspaces

That's the feedback we've had on this tour as well - depends on how many people are in port that day, and how you respond to crowds. If you hate crowds, and are going to port on a Wednesday in high season, you will probably not enjoy this tour. However, if you don't mind other people around, and consider it part of the group atmosphere, and are at port on the weekend in low season, you'll find that you will probably really enjoy it. Most people fall somewhere in between, so just realize that it's one of the most popular excursions in town and judge if that matters to you or not.

I have read a couple of reviews on this excursion and they go from it was great ....to it was a waste of money because there was way to many people there and it felt like being at camp.

Can anyone give me some advice, opinions.

Hi Laura,

We went on the Oosterdam last year from Feb 26 to March 5 so that should have put us in PV on March 2. It really wasn't that crowded and we enjoyed it. The day started a little cool but it warmed up to the mid 70's. When you first get there go over to the activity beach right away and find some seats in a place you like. This beach gets a little crowded but it's a great spot if you want to snorkle or kayak. Also by crowded it really wasn't and there were plenty of places to get a chair but if you want a front row go there right after you get off the boat.

Here are some photos I took and you can see it really wasn't that crowded last year at this time.

http://www.nobbync.com/Oosterdam5.html

Have fun! It's a great place to relax.

Nobby

P.S. There were 4 cruise ships in port that day and it still wasn't that crowded. The only time it seemed crowded was after lunch when the second group came but they went straight to the activity beach where we just walked around.

Hi Laura,

We went on the Oosterdam last year from Feb 26 to March 5 so that should have put us in PV on March 2. It really wasn't that crowded and we enjoyed it. The day started a little cool but it warmed up to the mid 70's. When you first get there go over to the activity beach right away and find some seats in a place you like. This beach gets a little crowded but it's a great spot if you want to snorkle or kayak. Also by crowded it really wasn't and there were plenty of places to get a chair but if you want a front row go there right after you get off the boat.

Here are some photos I took and you can see it really wasn't that crowded last year at this time.

http://www.nobbync.com/Oosterdam5.html

Have fun! It's a great place to relax.

Nobby

P.S. There were 4 cruise ships in port that day and it still wasn't that crowded. The only time it seemed crowded was after lunch when the second group came but they went straight to the activity beach where we just walked around.

Thank you so much for that posting. Loved the pictures and the review along side. Actually I went to your home page and saw all of your pictures. Excellent! You have some talent in this area!

We were originally going to go book on the Oosterdam for this cruise but couldn't resist the deal we got on the Vision for a JS? She looks absolutely beautiful! Where else does she sail?

So again, thank you very much for your help.

Laura

Laura

Thank you so much for that posting. Loved the pictures and the review along side. Actually I went to your home page and saw all of your pictures. Excellent! You have some talent in this area!

We were originally going to go book on the Oosterdam for this cruise but couldn't resist the deal we got on the Vision for a JS? She looks absolutely beautiful! Where else does she sail?

So again, thank you very much for your help.

Laura

You're welcome Laura and thanks for the great comments. My very first cruise was on Vision in Dec 2001 on this same itinerary but round/trip out of San Diego. I loved that cruise as well and it's a beautiful ship. I was going to do Las Caletas that cruise but we decided to just go to a beach that day.

I don't know what your plans in Mazatlan but I am another that can give the big thumbs up to Randi's Happy Horses. Did that on my Vision cruise and it was wonderful. Just as everyone said the food at Victor's is outstanding and the beach ride is really nice.

Enjoy your cruise and sure wish I was going! I'll have to wait till the fall for my next trip on Oosterdam....

Nobby

• 3 weeks later...

Since I originally started this thread asking the question, I thought I would give my review of this excursion, since I have now been there.

I fell in love :o with Las Caletas. We were in PV on day 5 of our Vision cruise and by this time I was feeling like I really needed a rest and this was the perfect spot to sit back and relax. Also, if you are ready for lots of activity, this can also be the spot for you. Our excursion had the whole place to ourselves which was about 50 people maybe, other than about 10 people who booked the private interacting with the seal (which to answer lovecruising111 - appeared to be a riot). You can snorkel, kayyack(sp?), take a cooking class, take a pottery class, take a nature walk, swim with a seal, take a yoga class and a couple of other things that I cannot remember. This is all for one price. Also, they serve you with a great buffet lunch and all you can drink:D ! Plus the crew on the catamaran coming and going were a hoot and made for an enjoyable day! Definitely recommended IMO!

Laura

Loved, loved, loved Las Colitas. The boat trip there and back was fun, we saw whales, turtles, dolphins. Once there you can just relax on the beach or you can do a variety of activities. And one of the best parts is, there is no pressure from venders to buy, buy, buy.

When we were there last year they had a goup with a leader that went out for maybe half hour to an hour but then you could snorkel as much as you wanted to on your own after that. Our family all had their own snorkel equipment, not sure if you could use their equipment the whole time or just during the group snorkel They saw lots of fish but wanted to do the kyacking, hiking, etc. so they didn't spend the whole time just snorkeling.

trading places: Is the sea lions part of the excursion worth 50 dollars? Do you know how long they had with the sea lions. On other posts the other people that saw the sea lion part of the excursion felt it was a rip off.

thanks for the info

I would have to say yes, IMO. I think it was an hour or more. The people involved on this particular excursion (when we were there) loved it. Everyone got to feed the seal and got kissed by the seal. Then back on the ship they had pictures on the picture boards to purchase if you wanted to.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the snorkeling there, i.e. how much time in the water, how much sealife seen)? Thanks.

You could snorkel using their equipment from about 10:30 - 11:00 until about 12:30 - 1:00, if I remember correctly, they give you a lesson of sorts with rules and safety tips first and then help you out. There is a bit of a surf to get passed so you have to back into the water and some people needed help getting out but this was no problem. There were many older people snorkelling with no problem. One lady lost her bathing suit but laughed it off.:eek: My DH loved it. He saw lots of fish and stinrays etc. He also wandered over to the private seal excursion and took part until they advised him it was private:D .

Laura

Loved, loved, loved Las Colitas. The boat trip there and back was fun, we saw whales, turtles, dolphins. Once there you can just relax on the beach or you can do a variety of activities. And one of the best parts is, there is no pressure from venders to buy, buy, buy.

I so agree with this observation. The only place in Mexico without the vendors. NOT ONE:D ! It was so great to just sit on the beautiful beach with the surf coming in and not be bothered.

Laura

My two sisters and I loved Las Caletas. But there is no "swimming with the sea lions in the open ocean" as advertised. The sea lion that you can pet and play with is tamed, trained and secured with a leash to the ocean floor. The tour to take here is snorkling in the Marrietas, where folks saw giant manta-rays and whales! Well, maybe next time. Was about 80 the day we were there and the snorkling was good, but water a little murky.

Yes, We'd like to see more Mexican beaches like the one at Las Caletas. Can you point us in the right direction? What are YOUR favorite beaches there and why? We have been to Ixtapa Island and liked that beach as well.

Archived