Help with Cabin Selection for Norway Cruise

katmu

I think I have finally settled on a cruise for next summer now that my friend has backed out on the original plan to do a Med cruise.  I’m actually a bit relieved as I would prefer Norway.  I’ve decided on the 14 night Voyage of the Midnight Sun on the Nieuw Statendam leaving from Rotterdam May 14, 2023.  Since I will be solo and will be paying the supplement the cost of the cabin is a bit of a concern.  The options I’m looking at are:

1. Large Inside stateroom midship, mid-deck.
  2. Single Oceanview, low deck, forward.  I like the layout but the low deck concerns me.  I’m not worried about being forward as much.
  3. Std Verandah or Aft Verandah.  These would start to eat into the excursion budget however.

Is it worth the extra for the balcony for Norway? Would I be better to save the money on the cabin as I’ll want to be up on one of the main decks for viewing?

Thank you.

AF31EF9A-4C21-4DA2-A331-5690BF59AD50.jpeg

Edited by katmu
added numbers to cabin choices

You will have two long scenic cruising into Flåm  and Geiranger where you will be able to watch the sceneries from a balcony - but the  best views are always from upper open decks.  I would save the money on cabin and plan for an early morning the two days when cruising the long fjords. - I Really prefer the fjord sailings in the morning, however you will be sailing the same fjords in the evening - but often conflict with time for dinner and shows.

Enjoy your cruise - very nice itinerary and Midnight sun when in Hammerfest and Honningsvåg. 

Edited by hallasm

I did a very similar itinerary on the Koningsdam in 2017 and I agree with @hallasm.  You definitely want to be up on the outside decks for scenic viewing, no matter what time of day.  That is how you experience the true immensity of scale.  

I had an inside cabin midship.   The benefit to that was there was no light creeping in around or through draperies.  That cabin was dark!  It made for good sleeping.  I also wouldn't worry about the single oceanview at the front of the ship.   Most of the time you are sailing in protective waters.  We did have a couple days where we could feel the motion of the ocean, but I kind of like that.  

Save the money for activities on shore.   Those are the memories you'll make and take with you.   My philosophy is to splurge on shore and experience as much as I can.

Edited by dfish