Best Way from Tarragona to Barcelona with Baggage

fsdorado

We are booked on a cruise in October that will end in Tarragona.  We are looking for the best way to get from the cruise port to central Barcelona.  We've looked at the Renfe trains but it looks like they have a pretty strict baggage policy (3 bags for a total of 25KG).  We will definitely have more than this.  We will have three passengers and likely four large suitcases, plus some rolling carry on bags.  How easy is it to get a taxi at the port to Barcelona?  Will taxis have enough cargo space for us? How much should we expect to pay? Should we look at car services (vans)? Thanks in advance!!

Frederick

The 3 bags for a total of 25KG is definitely per person. If you have more than that each you definitely have overpacked 😛

I would definitely do the train. A taxi from Tarragona to Barcelona would be expensive!

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 3:11 PM, Twickenham said:

The 3 bags for a total of 25KG is definitely per person. If you have more than that each you definitely have overpacked 😛

I would definitely do the train. A taxi from Tarragona to Barcelona would be expensive!

Yes, it's 25kg total per person.  Each person can have a max of 3 bags but the total weight of the three bags is 25kg.  We'll be coming off a 9 night cruise with no sea days so we will need a lot of clothes.  The car services we've found are around 300 Euros.  Can you buy more baggage allowance on the train?

3 minutes ago, fsdorado said:

Yes, it's 25kg total per person.  Each person can have a max of 3 bags but the total weight of the three bags is 25kg.  We'll be coming off a 9 night cruise with no sea days so we will need a lot of clothes.  The car services we've found are around 300 Euros.  Can you buy more baggage allowance on the train?

Well, I don't want to turn this thread into a packing debate, but having spent 6 weeks in Spain with about a third of the luggage you are talking about bringing, I would say you really don't need that much. That being said... I have a hard time imagining how they would check. I mean, there are luggage scanners at the large train stations in Barcelona and Madrid, but I don't recall any weighing of luggage, or any other checks that would serve to enforce such a policy. The key is to be able to handle your own luggage, and I think if you can you'll be good.

5 minutes ago, Twickenham said:

Well, I don't want to turn this thread into a packing debate, but having spent 6 weeks in Spain with about a third of the luggage you are talking about bringing, I would say you really don't need that much. That being said... I have a hard time imagining how they would check. I mean, there are luggage scanners at the large train stations in Barcelona and Madrid, but I don't recall any weighing of luggage, or any other checks that would serve to enforce such a policy. The key is to be able to handle your own luggage, and I think if you can you'll be good.

Thanks Twickenham...  *I* can easily travel with less but my wife...  She can never decide what to wear and absolutely hates not having choices.  There will be three of us.  We're pretty good at lugging our bags around.  I did send an e-mail to Renfe to ask them if we could purchase more bags.  Also, I can't imagine a train at 8AM on a Friday (when we get to Tarragona) will be that crowded.  I did find a different car service for around 160 Euros, so that's more reasonable.  I do appreciate everyone's help!!

Frederick

I find conflicting info on Renfe's website.  I'm not sure which to believe.  (Bolding and underlining is my addition).

On one page, they say that (presumably, each) person can bring on up to 3 bags that SUM up to no more than 25kg.

https://www.renfe.com/es/en/viajar/informacion-util/equipajes/politica-de-equipajes

However, on this FAQ page, they word it differently.  And the dimensions don't match up.

https://www.renfe.com/es/en/ayuda/faqs/equipaje

"You can carry up to 3 pieces of luggage per train ticket, with the same departure and arrival. These include normal luggage (bags, handbags, rucksacks, computer carrier cases and the like) and special luggage (skis, golf clubs, pushchairs and bicycles, provided they are properly packed). Properly packaged wheelchairs will also be accepted as luggage.

The characteristics that each piece of luggage must meet are:

• Maximum weight: 25 kg.
  • Sum of height, width and depth: maximum 250 cm.
  • Maximum height: 150 cm. In the case of skis, they may exceed 150 cm. Maximum width: 70 cm. Maximum depth: 50 cm, the sum of all dimensions not exceeding 250 cm in any case.
Edited by MeHeartCruising

5 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I find conflicting info on Renfe's website.  I'm not sure which to believe.  (Bolding and underlining is my addition).

On one page, they say that (presumably, each) person can bring on up to 3 bags that SUM up to no more than 25kg.

https://www.renfe.com/es/en/viajar/informacion-util/equipajes/politica-de-equipajes

However, on this FAQ page, they word it differently.  And the dimensions don't match up.

https://www.renfe.com/es/en/ayuda/faqs/equipaje

"You can carry up to 3 pieces of luggage per train ticket, with the same departure and arrival. These include normal luggage (bags, handbags, rucksacks, computer carrier cases and the like) and special luggage (skis, golf clubs, pushchairs and bicycles, provided they are properly packed). Properly packaged wheelchairs will also be accepted as luggage.

The characteristics that each piece of luggage must meet are:

• Maximum weight: 25 kg.
  • Sum of height, width and depth: maximum 250 cm.
  • Maximum height: 150 cm. In the case of skis, they may exceed 150 cm. Maximum width: 70 cm. Maximum depth: 50 cm, the sum of all dimensions not exceeding 250 cm in any case.

Well, that's not even close...  The info in the FAQ lines up more with airline policies.  I haven't received a response to my e-mail to Renfe yet.  I'll be sure to post something for future train riders.

Frederick

• 2 weeks later...