No Kids Club for under 5

Vromley

So I just found out that kids under 5 can’t go to the kids club on my cruise next week and no babysitting.  Kind of the only reason I’m going on a cruise so that is majorly annoying.

I’m a single parent and there are a lot of sea days, any suggestions on how to survive?  I know my downtime will be non existent but would love to hear any ideas on what to do all day to keep my very rambunctious 4.5 year old busy.

Lots of pool time (hope there is a kid sized water park on your ship) and movies.  Bring your child’s favorite games. Teach them some new games.  Read them some books.  Play miniature golf.  Eat a lot of pizza and ice cream.  Make friends with another family who has a child near yours age.  Maybe you can switch off watching each other’s kids.  Check out your roll call or another site to try to find other families that will be on your cruise.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vromley said:

So I just found out that kids under 5 can’t go to the kids club on my cruise next week and no babysitting.  Kind of the only reason I’m going on a cruise so that is majorly annoying.

I’m a single parent and there are a lot of sea days, any suggestions on how to survive?  I know my downtime will be non existent but would love to hear any ideas on what to do all day to keep my very rambunctious 4.5 year old busy.

Yea it really sucks! Any way you can bring another person along to help? Like an older niece or nephew? That’s what we are doing in June to help out with our 4 year old. My husband had a deal where the 3rd and 4th person in the room were only $100 each so we are bringing a 14 year old cousin to hang out with baby girl whenever we need adult time. 

Also, depends on what the boat has to offer, we went on the Mardi Gras in Feb and my daughter had a blast even without the kids club, we kept her busy with the slides, pool, the arcade, and there was also an area that had pool tables and corn hole and she loved going there during down time. We also brought her tablet and paid for the internet for her to help entertain her during things where it was harder to keep her attention, like the shows and bingo.

Yeah I feel ya. I have a 4 year old and was unaware kids club was not available to them when I booked. I just knew from years past it was for 2+ but I didn't actively seek what activities changed due to Covid. Luckily I have my wife and family going as well.

Also a reminder that the unvaccinated can't just walk off the boat at the ports...only at the private islands can the unvaccinated come off by themselves. You'll need to book an excursion...but apparently from what I read after excursions are over you're free to roam about before boarding *shrug*.

I feel that it's more cutting costs than anything. Carnival could help out parents with 5 and younger for an hour or two a day with camp time slots where the kids need mask, or do something outdoors if Covid is the concern (I don't feel Covid is the issue since the kids can roam around maskless anywhere else...)

In case anyone else has cruised with a 5 and under (or unvaccinated) - for the rapid test at port, do we need to reserve a testing slot. I've reserved the boarding time but didn' see any indication a testing time is to be reserved.

6 hours ago, atlantatransplant said:

In case anyone else has cruised with a 5 and under (or unvaccinated) - for the rapid test at port, do we need to reserve a testing slot. I've reserved the boarding time but didn' see any indication a testing time is to be reserved.

You pre-register just so your info is in the system, not for a particular time. There will be plenty of people there who have not pre-registered and are filling out the paperwork at the check in point. 

18 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Lots of pool time (hope there is a kid sized water park on your ship) and movies.  Bring your child’s favorite games. Teach them some new games.  Read them some books.  Play miniature golf.  Eat a lot of pizza and ice cream.  Make friends with another family who has a child near yours age.  Maybe you can switch off watching each other’s kids.  Check out your roll call or another site to try to find other families that will be on your cruise.   

This is all great advice. We cruised in October with our under 5 unvaccinated kid, and she was able to make friends at the pool early in the morning and at the splash area. After a day or two we were comfortable enough with our connection with the parents to be able to run to the bathroom while the other parent supervised. We were also seated in the dining room adjacent to one of her friends who was traveling with her mom so Carnival was definitely looking out for us there. 

Bring indoor activities, I bought some craft kits from Target that we could do inside if the weather wasn't great, which really saved us one day. Some people do a small coloring/activity book each day of the trip which seems like a bit much but we did stock up on items like that just in case we needed them. 

Enough time in the water and sun will drain any kids batteries so we had some quiet time in the room watching a movie mid-day if she started getting overtired. Plus the movies at the pool were a huge hit late in the afternoon when she was tired and needed to chill out before dinner. Take advantage of seeing all the musical acts on the ship, lots to choose from. 

• Like 1