QE Alaska menus and other questions

lovely_serenity

Hello!

I’ve previously sailed QE once in the Mediterranean in 2012; I’m also a frequent Alaska cruiser. My family plans to book 2022 July on QE - 10 night Alaska.

I was wondering if anyone had photos of the Britannia dinner menus? Curious to know if there are any “themed-menu” nights 🙂

Also a few more Qs while we’re here:

1. Is there dining room embarkation lunch for inside cabin folks? (Non-suite Grill option)

2. Is the bow open for entry while sailing the glaciers?

3. Besides the ports, does QE do anything unique to highlight the Alaskan itinerary? (Other cruise lines I’ve sailed had themed Alaskan nights, soup of deck for glacier days, educational speakers)

3. Having enjoyed the formal dress on my last cruise, what’s the overall ladies’ formal dress level on Alaskan voyages? ex. On Smart Casual days, do many still wear cocktail dresses? On Gala nights do many still wear long gowns?

4. What proportion of cruisers currently wear masks in public areas?

Thank you in advance!

Sarah

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lovely_serenity said:

Hello!

I’ve previously sailed QE once in the Mediterranean in 2012; I’m also a frequent Alaska cruiser. My family plans to book 2022 July on QE - 10 night Alaska.

I was wondering if anyone had photos of the Britannia dinner menus? Curious to know if there are any “themed-menu” nights 🙂

Also a few more Qs while we’re here:

1. Is there dining room embarkation lunch for inside cabin folks? (Non-suite Grill option)

2. Is the bow open for entry while sailing the glaciers?

3. Besides the ports, does QE do anything unique to highlight the Alaskan itinerary? (Other cruise lines I’ve sailed had themed Alaskan nights, soup of deck for glacier days, educational speakers)

3. Having enjoyed the formal dress on my last cruise, what’s the overall ladies’ formal dress level on Alaskan voyages? ex. On Smart Casual days, do many still wear cocktail dresses? On Gala nights do many still wear long gowns?

4. What proportion of cruisers currently wear masks in public areas?

Thank you in advance!

Sarah

We took a QE Alaska cruise in in 2019 and are doing so again this June.

1. As is customary with Cunard, only the Grill restaurants are open for lunch on embarkation day. The Lido opened at 12:00 for food. It was open earlier for beverages. Embarkation started much earlier than usual. We were on board at 11:20. Cabins were available from  approximately 12:30.

2. The bow was open the day we were at to the Hubbard Glacier. This year the QE is spending a day in Glacier Bay as well, so I expect there will be two days of open bow.

3(a).  There were speakers on the subject of Alaska and nature. There was no soup on the day the bow was open like Holland America has. One day there was an Alaska-themed seafood buffet lunch in the Lido with ice sculptures. I have a added a photo of that. 

3 (b). The dress code for our cruise was "dumbed down" from what we usual experience on Cunard and I understand it has been dumbed down yet again for this year. There are just two gala nights out of 10. However, many Cunard regulars dress traditionally so there were a lot of jackets and ties and cocktail dresses or fancy pant suits on the women on the other nights. The  majority of men wore DJs on the gala nights. There were a lot of long dresses on the gala nights.

4. Cunard has not updated the requirement for masks or even vaccination  for QE cruises after May 17th. But the Canadian government has mandated that only fully vaccinated passengers may embark or disembark a ship in Canadian ports. Cruise lines are required to have a policy for dealing with COVID on board, but I don't see anything specific at this time.P1040260.thumb.JPG.79b3cd027691dfd9039ff86c46a92643.JPG

Edited by david,Mississauga
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

We took a QE Alaska cruise in in 2019 and are doing so again this June.

1. As is customary with Cunard, only the Grill restaurants are open for lunch on embarkation day. The Lido opened at 12:00 for food. It was open earlier for beverages. Embarkation started much earlier than usual. We were on board at 11:20. Cabins were available from  approximately 12:30.

2. The bow was open the day we were at to the Hubbard Glacier. This year the QE is spending a day in Glacier Bay as well, so I expect there will be two days of open bow.

3(a).  There were speakers on the subject of Alaska and nature. There was no soup on the day the bow was open like Holland America has. One day there was an Alaska-themed seafood buffet lunch in the Lido with ice sculptures. I have a added a photo of that. 

3 (b). The dress code for our cruise was "dumbed down" from what we usual experience on Cunard and I understand it has been dumbed down yet again for this year. There are just two gala nights out of 10. However, many Cunard regulars dress traditionally so there were a lot of jackets and ties and cocktail dresses or fancy pant suits on the women on the other nights. The  majority of men wore DJs on the gala nights. There were a lot of long dresses on the gala nights.

4. Cunard has not updated the requirement for masks or even vaccination  for QE cruises after May 17th. But the Canadian government has mandated that only fully vaccinated passengers may embark or disembark a ship in Canadian ports. Cruise lines are required to have a policy for dealing with COVID on board, but I don't see anything specific at this time.P1040260.thumb.JPG.79b3cd027691dfd9039ff86c46a92643.JPG

Hahah I didn’t realize I had 3 twice 😂

Thank you so much for the information!