Private Tour Guide Kusadasi/Ephesus

Doing research for two families, 4 adults and 4 teens who will port in Kusadasi off the Odyssey in mid July. First visit for all of them. Any recommendations for private excursions? Or, is it best to take a ship’s tour. They may be a little late to the game as far as planning.

thank you

Thank you Cruisemom42. It has been a few years since we spent time in Turkey and we are aware of all the sales pitches……unfortunately Levent Solmaz is booked but he has offered to have an associate organize a tour. Waiting to see what he offers in itinerary and cost.

• Like 1

We used this tour company in 2019. Look carefully at the details to decide what you really want to see. A lot has to do with your religious beliefs. I would recommend skipping any that do the House of the Virgin Mary because its authenticity is based on the vision of a nun in the 1800s. I would look for one that does Ephesus, the Terrace Houses, and St. John's Church.  The Temple of Artemis is probably the smallest ruin you will ever see and a photo would suffice. We also were taken to a buffet and it was very good. Ephesus Tours (magical-steps.com)  I don't recall any stops for carpet sales or forced sales like you see at some tours in Turkey.

This is the itinerary suggested by the tour operator I contacted. Would you suggest any modifications?

”I would suggest visiting Ephesus ruins, Terrace Houses in Ephesus,  Mary’s House and Temple of Artemis. Lunch would be in Selcuk town in a local restaurant. The standard tour lasts about 6 or 6,5 hours including lunch.”

No shopping for leather or carpets unless we request it.

3 hours ago, martyap said:

This is the itinerary suggested by the tour operator I contacted. Would you suggest any modifications?

”I would suggest visiting Ephesus ruins, Terrace Houses in Ephesus,  Mary’s House and Temple of Artemis. Lunch would be in Selcuk town in a local restaurant. The standard tour lasts about 6 or 6,5 hours including lunch.”

No shopping for leather or carpets unless we request it.

Personally I'd scrap Mary's House and add the (relatively new and updated) archaeological museum in Selcuk, as you'll be there anyway to eat lunch. It's not an overwhelmingly large museum and it has some very nice things that help you to visualize the art, mosaics, objects etc. that one does not get to see at the actual archaeological site.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 10:09 PM, martyap said:

Doing research for two families, 4 adults and 4 teens who will port in Kusadasi off the Odyssey in mid July. First visit for all of them. Any recommendations for private excursions? Or, is it best to take a ship’s tour. They may be a little late to the game as far as planning.

thank you

We went on a great tour to Ephesus with Ephesus Shuttle in April 2022 and I would recommend them to anyone. We booked a group tour - up to 10 people but we were the only two on the tour. I was impressed that they still ran the tour for just two people. We got to Ephesus before the tour buses and our guide Orkan was excellent. Communication was quick and easy via WhatsApp and we paid at the end of the tour. All in all highly recommended and at a fraction of the cost of the cruise company tours. https://www.ephesusshuttle.com/categories/kusadasi-to-ephesus?id=1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2022 at 5:18 AM, rebmevon said:

We went on a great tour to Ephesus with Ephesus Shuttle in April 2022 and I would recommend them to anyone. We booked a group tour - up to 10 people but we were the only two on the tour. I was impressed that they still ran the tour for just two people. We got to Ephesus before the tour buses and our guide Orkan was excellent. Communication was quick and easy via WhatsApp and we paid at the end of the tour. All in all highly recommended and at a fraction of the cost of the cruise company tours. https://www.ephesusshuttle.com/categories/kusadasi-to-ephesus?id=1

Good to hear...we have them booked for a tour in July!

Let’s be clear about private tours.  It is your tour and you can call the shots.  If you do not want to go to any of the “factories” then simply make that clear when you book your tour and again when you meet your guide and driver.     We no longer recommend any specific tour company since much has changed because of the long COVID shutdown.  Companies we trusted 3 years ago may not be under the same management and the quality of guides may not be the same.  Watch for new reviews and take recommendations based on old information as old information.

Hank

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 2:42 PM, Hlitner said:

Let’s be clear about private tours.  It is your tour and you can call the shots.  If you do not want to go to any of the “factories” then simply make that clear when you book your tour and again when you meet your guide and driver.     We no longer recommend any specific tour company since much has changed because of the long COVID shutdown.  Companies we trusted 3 years ago may not be under the same management and the quality of guides may not be the same.  Watch for new reviews and take recommendations based on old information as old information.

Hank

We feel exactly the same way when someone asks a question ....what is the best restaurant in Rome, or the best hotel in Athens.  To this day we still do not know what those asking the question mean by the word 'best'.  It is such a relative term.

Ownership changes, business changes.   Pre covid and post covid. Our reality is many places (and some cruise lines) are only as good as our last experience.  Not someone else's.

Edited by iancal