Advice on China

npphotog

If anyone on this board has done China I would appreciate your thoughts on which is a better month - April or May. Not worried about the heat, but concerned about rain. We live in Florida but would not like to go if there is a rainy season. April or May works out best for our schedule. Thanks, Willard

We went in June and had one day of rain...and a few showers. Some of depends where you are going. Its a big country. April will still be coolish in some of the areas. It may rain. Its hard to predict in April and May. Wear a poncho and go with the flow. You would rather have rain than really hot weather. When you walk up the great wall, you'll appreciate a slight rain.

We were in China last summer and it was hot but then again we're from Florida so the heat was fine. One thing we did notice was the step grade of the Great Wall especially the section that was to the south. We said that if it was anything but sunny and warm it would be very dangerous to climb so if it's rainy DON'T go on that side of the wall.

We hope you have a sunny DRY day for the walk, but it's worth it.

Marilyn

Appreciate your comments smeyer and Marilyn. As I said, we are considering mid March. Not too worried about the heat but was looking for advice on the rainy season...Don't want to hit too many days of rain. Also wondered about recharging my digital camera battery. More concerned about voltage on the cruise part - maybe not the voltage but the kind of adapter plug I need. Both my battery charger and electric razor are 110/220. Had no problem on the Holland to Hungary boat last year as there was a 110 socket in our cabin that took standard plugs. I want to walk the wall "while I can still walk the wall". Thanks again. Willard in Largo, Florida

npphotog,

Pick up a voltage adapter kit at any electronics store. Circuit City, Radio Shack, Sharper Image - you can find them all over. There's a shop at just about every airport that sells them but you'll pay a premium there.

They come with an assortment of outlet adapters and a transformer to reduce the voltage. I've had mine for years, used it on ships and dozens of foreign countries on different continents. Never had a problem.

Here's a few sources:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/RCA-Foreign-Voltage-Adapter-Kit-AH260R-/sem/rpsm/oid/25404/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.buy.com/prod/GE_AV23611_93611_Dual_Wattage_Voltage_Adapter/q/loc/111/90134886.html

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7153518&type=product&id=1110266394957

Just be sure that the kit you buy has a transformer to step down the voltage. There are kits that only adapt the plugs without a step down. They are OK for electronics that are rated for 110V / 220V but not for 110V only devices.

And bring a short (1 Ft) extension cord if you think you'll need to charge more than one device at a time.

Thanks GlobeMan - My digital battery charger works on both 110 and 220 as does my electric razor. Just need the adapter plugs, which I will check out the stores you mentioned. Again Thanks. Willard

Archived