Beer In Checked Luggage

jjpop

AS PART OF OUR EMBARKATION CITY PRE NITE RITUAL (with the help of this web site thank you very much) we will visit a local store to pick up various beverages and munchies to bring aboard in our checked in luggage...not the carry on stuff...let the cruise line carry the heavy bags with beer and soda...just make sure that it is wrapped up nice in some of the hotels finest towels...finding diet mt dew in the caribbean is not easy...found it 3 yrs ago in grand cayman at a local grocery store but the cans were already 6 months expired...

Been there done that. Use cans as bottles risk breaking and getting glass in your clothes. I had a can of beer puncture and my clothes did a great job of soaking it all up so no worries Merionmom. Had to send a load of laundry out when I unpacked but otherwise no problems. On the Mariner I had my carryon liquor confiscated...first time this has happened..but no worries as I did get it back at the end of the cruise. The only peeve I had with that is when I asked about what happens if it gets "lost" I was told they would replace it. The reason I purchased it on land was because it was a brand not available on board. I purchased it for home not on board consumption anyway.

My last cruise on the Sovereign in December I had a full case of Mich Lite cans in my suitcase. It made it on just fine. And my room attendant did a FABULOUS job at keeping ice in a cooler that we brought and even stocked the beers on it for us. Whether or not I was lucky I don't know....but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :D I just packed them in plastic bags, then put a towel around the bag just in case. Didn't have any problems with busted cans at all. Good luck! (The savings in my pocket by doing that were great!;) )

I'm a beer only drinker, busch natural light beer is my choice. No ship, store, or bar on cruises or shore sells it and my GF will drink it too (good girl). On a 7 dayer we will bring 3 cases, yes three cases on board at one time. We have a military duffel bag and put it all in there. It must weigh at least fifty #s and clanks and shuffles when you carry it. We check it, give the porter $10, he grins and says I know what this is, but it always gets to the cabin with the other luggage, sometimes it's first. This has been the case with at least 15 cruises out of PC and Miami, with CCL, HAL, & RCCL . BTW: at PC all cruise lines use the same security.

Yes! We packed ours in a separate suitcase and used a plastic trash bag inside. One did get punctured but it stayed within our suitcase because of the plastic.

The extra-nice thing is that we has an extra empty suitcase to use for purchases and dirty laundry! :D

Our ritual:

When we arrive for our pre-cruise night, we pick up our beverages.

We line a carry-on size (roughly 21x14x8) suitcase with a trash bag then pack it with a case of beer in cans, still in the box. We add a pint of gin and a bottle or two of tonic. Stuff some bubble wrap in any voids. Close the trash bag tightly, then, squish down (yes, it fits) one twin size eggcrate mattress pad on top and zip her up. We check this bag at the pier. It weighs a ton, but, we have never had a problem and have beverages to consume while sitting out on the balcony!

The carry-on suitcase is from Wal-mart and costs about $25.00. It has sides that are reinforced with hard plastic and the bars for the pull out handle reinforce the back, finally the eggcrate cushions the top ... never had any beer showers!

We place the eggcrate crosswise on the bed on the ship and sleep much better with it. After the cruise we leave the <$10.00 eggcrate (again from Wal-mart) behind.

Archived