Updated Canada Specific Requirements From NCL

ceilidh1

I'm boarding a transatlantic on NCL next Sunday, from NY -- first port of call will be Halifax.  I'll try to report out on how l end up getting processed -- further testing?  ArriveCan?    It's a mystery at this point, and I'm going along for the ride.  Literally. 

11 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

I'm boarding a transatlantic on NCL next Sunday, from NY -- first port of call will be Halifax.  I'll try to report out on how l end up getting processed -- further testing?  ArriveCan?    It's a mystery at this point, and I'm going along for the ride.  Literally. 

We'll be waiting for your report! 😇  Have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:31 AM, lots-of-km2 said:

I am four days behind you also NCL out of NY with Halifax as first port. Also waiting to hear your experience. 

18 minutes ago, ByThePond said:

I am four days behind you also NCL out of NY with Halifax as first port. Also waiting to hear your experience. 

One thing may be sorted out already: I called the ArriveCan info phone number yesterday, and they confirmed that ArriveCan needs to be filled out within 72 hours before arrival in Halifax.  I've got the ArriveCan app on my phone and have made a calendar note to fill out the form within that time period.  As NCL didn't give anyone heads up about the ArriveCan requirement, there will probably be a lot of fuss onboard. 

Whether Covid testing is needed prior to Halifax is still unknown. 

I'll report out on both ?s

You must be on the Dawn, stopping at Reykjavik.  Have a good cruise!

Edited by lots-of-km2

18 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

One thing may be sorted out already: I called the ArriveCan info phone number yesterday, and they confirmed that ArriveCan needs to be filled out within 72 hours before arrival in Halifax.  I've got the ArriveCan app on my phone and have made a calendar note to fill out the form within that time period.  As NCL didn't give anyone heads up about the ArriveCan requirement, there will probably be a lot of fuss onboard. 

Whether Covid testing is needed prior to Halifax is still unknown. 

I'll report out on both ?s

You must be on the Dawn, stopping at Reykjavik.  Have a good cruise!

I am on the Dawn. 

Not sure about the “needs to be filled out within 72 hours before arrival in Halifax” as the app asks you to specify the date of embarkation and it has to be within the next 3 days. You separately specify the date of arrival in Canada which can be up to a month. The real instructions are likely that the form needs to be submitted (and you have your receipt) in the 72 hours prior to boarding. 

22085B74-ECE4-4249-A260-ECCCBEB81CBF.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ByThePond said:

Not sure about the “needs to be filled out within 72 hours before arrival in Halifax” as the app asks you to specify the date of embarkation and it has to be within the next 3 days.

Thanks!  I stand corrected.  Yes, the ArriveCan is submitted within 72 hours of cruise embarkation. 

Edited by lots-of-km2

Thanks for the Info By The Pond, just started the Arrive Canada app. If it wasn't for your post on the M&M  28 April sailing of the Dawn I would not have known of this requirement.  For people who booked a shore excursion in Halifax this may come as quite a surprise!  Anyway thanks again and am looking forward to meeting you at the M&M whenever we find out when and where it will be held. My touque is off to the person who is putting this on for us all.  

Just off Bliss on Friday - LA to Vancouver. I can confirm the following:

NO ONE at YVR asked to see proof of negative test (this was a surprise as back in Feb I had to show it in both YVR and on the connecting flight in Toronto)

At check-in, NCL required proof of vaccination, proof of negative test and receipt for ArriveCan (at least they required it during the early check-in times. Some people that arrived later said that they were told they could do it onboard, but certainly when we checked in the agent required it).

NCL offered testing that was not mandatory for anyone that wanted/needed it to return home. Some guests from the US that were travelling by bus/train opted to get tested even though it wasn't required.

There was no issue with Canadian "free" tests and just purchasing the proctoring. To be honest, all the agent at check in looked at was name and if it said negative.

Someone on our FB group was identified as a close contact the day before disembarkation. She was posting that NCL would not allow them off the ship (they tested negative) unless they could arrange for a car to be brought to the port that they could then drive home to the US. I'm not sure how it all turned out as she appears to have left the FB group now. From her posts it very much sounded like they got no help/support from NCL but hopefully it all got worked out.

Disembarking in Vancouver was easy. We missed Victoria due to wind, so I was concerned Vancouver might be a pain, given that this was the first Canadian port. We were given customs forms ahead of time and told to return them to guest services (never done that before). When it was time to disembark, we just walked off the ship without seeing/talking to any customs officers. I left the ship at 7:15am and was in my house by 7:25am.

• Like 1