Benefit to getting a porter

We need to get thru San Pedro port quickly on the return.  I have heard that getting a porter gets you thru quicker. Opinions please.  What would be the appropriate tip amount. Thank you for your input.

If the port has you get your luggage first and then go through customs the porters do have their own line that goes around the longer line. But I really only noticed that back before everyone was using facial recognition. I think in most places that use facial recognition it's after you get your bags. 

I just walk off with my bags early enough there's never been much if any line for the facial recognition. 

Hiring a porter at the Pan Am terminal in SJ has always and did on our 27 March return. 

9 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

If the port has you get your luggage first and then go through customs the porters do have their own line that goes around the longer line. But I really only noticed that back before everyone was using facial recognition. I think in most places that use facial recognition it's after you get your bags. 

I just walk off with my bags early enough there's never been much if any line for the facial recognition. 

The lines were very long for those that didn't use a luggage porter at the Pan Am terminal in SJ on 27 March. We always use a luggage porter there and again breezed right thru on our 27 March return. The porter loaded our luggage on his cart, got us in and thru the short customs line in a flash and hailed the taxi. Money well worth spent. 

Edited by davekathy

12 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Hiring a porter at the Pan Am terminal in SJ has always and did on our 27 March return. 

The lines were very long for those that didn't use a luggage porter at the Pan Am terminal in SJ on 27 March. We always use a luggage porter there and again breezed right thru on our 27 March return. The porter loaded our luggage on his cart, got us in and thru the short customs line in a flash and hailed the taxi. Money well worth spent. 

Yes very helpful in that case and used a porter in port Canaveral years ago for just that reason. But I believe most of the terminals in Canaveral now have you do facial recognition customs before collecting your bags so porters don't help with lines there. 

Edited by smplybcause

25 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Yes very helpful in that case and used a porter in port Canaveral years ago for just that reason. But I believe most of the terminals in Canaveral now have you do facial recognition customs before collecting your bags so porters don't help with lines there. 

I don't see that is a biggie as long as I'm not schlepping our luggage thru customs at the time. 

In February when my daughter and  I went after we seen the line for customs we got a porter and breezed through.  Just get the porter when you first see one, it took us a while because we waited too long.

Oh and we tipped him 10.00 , well spent.

Edited by Bleueyes44
Spelling error