Snorkeling in a secluded cove?

CruiserN1

We're going to Bermuda in July on Celebrity Summit. Looking over their snorkeling shore excursions, I notice that several mention snorkeling in a "secluded cove." Am I right in thinking these are all going to the same spot where the "seculded" cove will be over-run with boats and so many bodies in the water that the fish are scared away? Any suggestions for a snorkeling trip/destination away from the hordes?

1 hour ago, CruiserN1 said:

We're going to Bermuda in July on Celebrity Summit. Looking over their snorkeling shore excursions, I notice that several mention snorkeling in a "secluded cove." Am I right in thinking these are all going to the same spot where the "seculded" cove will be over-run with boats and so many bodies in the water that the fish are scared away? Any suggestions for a snorkeling trip/destination away from the hordes?

Without a better description I can't figure out what they mean by secluded cove. Celebrity sometimes calles Snorkel Park secluded. Snorkel Park does not appeal to me but no excursion needed. It is walkable from the ship berths but Celebrity will be happy to sell you an excursion.......The very best snorkeling in Bermuda is on the outer reefs which requires a boat excursion and often the water is too rough for them to go there. For easy off shore snorkling there is Tobacco Bay which is shallow. It does not usually get overly crowded because it takes a ferry ride to St. George's and the a 15 minute walk or a 3 minute taxi ride. If you have your own mask, snorkel and fins then I would suggest Church Bay on the South Shore. It is on the #7 bus route. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

Thanks @Charles4515, I should have been more specific. The excursions I'm referring to are boat trips that say they anchor in a shallow secluded cove where activity options include snorkeling, kayaking and paddle boarding. It's stated that same way in a few different excursion descriptions.

I prefer to go with a group because my husband doesn't swim and although I am a good swimmer, I've seen how things can go bad in the water and feel better not being out there alone. But I don't want to be with hoardes of people either. 

Are there lifeguards at any of the spots you mentioned?

37 minutes ago, CruiserN1 said:

Thanks @Charles4515, I should have been more specific. The excursions I'm referring to are boat trips that say they anchor in a shallow secluded cove where activity options include snorkeling, kayaking and paddle boarding. It's stated that same way in a few different excursion descriptions.

I prefer to go with a group because my husband doesn't swim and although I am a good swimmer, I've seen how things can go bad in the water and feel better not being out there alone. But I don't want to be with hoardes of people either. 

Are there lifeguards at any of the spots you mentioned?

Not at the spots I mentioned but Tobacco Bay is shallow. Church Bay is  not appropriate for a non swimmer.

The boat excursions can be booked independently. I believe from your description that the Celebrity excursion is with Restless Native. Sail and Snorkel for the Cure. You might save a few dollars booking direct but in any case whatever you decide there won't be hordes of people. Only those who sail on the cat. Thru the cruise line or direct could be on the same boat together. The excursion looks like fun to me. 

https://www.restlessnative.bm

Edited by Charles4515

CruiserN1

we are “in the same boat” as you.  Trying to select a catamaran snorkel excursion for the June 2 sailing.  Because our cruise fare included $200 pp OBC for excursions (or other) i am trying to weed through the options described by Celeb and tie them to a specific tour operator .  I would certainly book direct were it not for the OBC and we already have premium drinks, Wifi, tips covered…plus we are Aqua so we have Blu to dine in (I did book Tuscan Grill 1 night but mistakenly on my CC vs out of OBC).

I was out to figure out a few links , eg, Restless Native IS the operator for description mentioning donation to support cancer (the pink catamaran).  

Rising Sun does mention “secluded cove” 

the Catamaran Coral Reef excursion has very limited details on the Celeb site.  

Devil’s  Isle excursion does not go with a Cat.

i have not really figured out who operates the SHIPWRECK Snorkel (if current rough that day would not be optimal for me). I think that uses another kind of vessel too.

actually at this point, the availability on Celeb site is becoming limited. We definitely want to sail/snorkel from a cat and not another type vessel.  First time to Bermuda….used to island trips and excursions, especially out of St. Maarten

As first time visitors I did book the $$ Celeb 5 hour island tour.  I just might book cat trip direct with an island operator and try to use the remaining OBC for something else.  Captain Kirk re Good Vibrations catamaran trios has been very helpful/responsive to my inquiry yesterday and leaves from near our dock. 

looking forward to possibly more comments.  

CruiserN1

we are “in the same boat” as you.  Trying to select a catamaran snorkel excursion for the June 2 sailing.  Because our cruise fare included $200 pp OBC for excursions (or other) i am trying to weed through the options described by Celeb and tie them to a specific tour operator .  I would certainly book direct were it not for the OBC and we already have premium drinks, Wifi, tips covered…plus we are Aqua so we have Blu to dine in (I did book Tuscan Grill 1 night but mistakenly on my CC vs out of OBC).

I was out to figure out a few links , eg, Restless Native IS the operator for description mentioning donation to support cancer (the pink catamaran).  

Rising Sun does mention “secluded cove” 

the Catamaran Coral Reef excursion has very limited details on the Celeb site.  

Devil’s  Isle excursion does not go with a Cat.

i have not really figured out who operates the SHIPWRECK Snorkel (if current rough that day would not be optimal for me). I think that uses another kind of vessel too.

actually at this point, the availability on Celeb site is becoming limited. We definitely want to sail/snorkel from a cat and not another type vessel.  First time to Bermuda….used to island trips and excursions, especially out of St. Maarten

As first time visitors I did book the $$ Celeb 5 hour island tour.  I just might book cat trip direct with an island operator and try to use the remaining OBC for something else.  Captain Kirk re Good Vibrations catamaran trios has been very helpful/responsive to my inquiry yesterday and leaves from near our dock. 

looking forward to possibly more comments.  

UPDATE:  the Good Vibrations folks passed my email to the ISLAND TOUR CENTER which works with all the vendors (per their website) .  This website looks promising for more i fo re various snorkel options (for booking direct) 

https://www.islandtourcentre.com/reservations/

Thanks @medskis, I also have a bunch of OBC to burn and that's why we're trying to figure out what the best option is for snorkeling on the X excursions. I was looking at the Catamaran Reef Snorkel as that goes offshore if seas permit. Unfortunately my husband wouldn't be able to come along for the sailing aspect because he's just over the 250lb weight limit. We did book the nighttime glass bottom boat through X and might book Harbor Night just to burn the OBC on something we want to do anyway.

I'd love to hear your experience after your trip!

13 minutes ago, CruiserN1 said:

Thanks @medskis, I also have a bunch of OBC to burn and that's why we're trying to figure out what the best option is for snorkeling on the X excursions. I was looking at the Catamaran Reef Snorkel as that goes offshore if seas permit. Unfortunately my husband wouldn't be able to come along for the sailing aspect because he's just over the 250lb weight limit. We did book the nighttime glass bottom boat through X and might book Harbor Night just to burn the OBC on something we want to do anyway.

I'd love to hear your experience after your trip!

CruiserN1

hi Again,  

i agree the Cat Coral Reef was the one I ALMOST booked with my OBC.  However, I really was reading Trip Advisor, Viator etc and I just had to go with the ZARA LUXURY CAT.  77 ft, uncrowded, fly deck, deck chairs, bean bags, “unlike any other”  $80 for 3 hours.  I think it goes to the shallow cove  but the quality of the experience sounds wonderful.  Unfortunately I THINK it is offered only at same time, one day out of the 3, that the Cat Coral Reef goes.  I would have booked that in addition if another time opens up. I guess I will stay tuned.  As a first timer, I thought we should do 5 hour island tour on day 1.  Thinking I will taxi to Horseshoe Bay last day.  Also we can walk to Snorkel Beach Park from our docks if we want something informal with our own gear. 

https://19385.partner.viator.com/tours/Bermuda/Zara-Sail-and-Snorkel/d966-221073P1

1 hour ago, medskis said:

our island tour on day 1.  Thinking I will taxi to Horseshoe Bay last day.  Also we can walk to Snorkel Beach Park from our docks if we want something informal with our own gear. 

Take the taxi to Horseshoe Bay. Beautiful pink sand natural beach.. Skip Snorkel Park. A not very good man made beach.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I never thought of Bermuda as a big snorkeling place like the Florida Keys or the Caribbean?

Because of the gulf stream there a quite large coral reefs. Many ships have wrecked on them. The best snorkeling is from a boat  and the best snorkeling is on the outer reefs but often the seas are too rough and the boat excursions skip them for safety reasons.  There are several well known shiipwrecks that are easy to get to by boat for shipwreck snorkeling. There is some decent off shore snorkeling. Tobacco Bay is ok and a good place for first timers as it is shallow. Church Bay is probably the best off the shore snorkeling but it can be rough. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Because of the gulf stream there a quite large coral reefs. Many ships have wrecked on them. The best snorkeling is from a boat  and the best snorkeling is on the outer reefs but often the seas are too rough and the boat excursions skip them for safety reasons.  There are several well known shiipwrecks that are easy to get to by boat for shipwreck snorkeling. There is some decent off shore snorkeling. Tobacco Bay is ok and a good place for first timers as it is shallow. Church Bay is probably the best off the shore snorkeling but it can be rough. 

I have been to Tobacco Bay.  Was OK but I wouldn't make a special trip there.  We were docked in St. George's so we walked there.  It was a nice protected area for swimming and there was a nice refreshment bar.

On 4/23/2022 at 5:37 PM, CruiserN1 said:

Ferry to other side of the island and walk over hill excellent snorkeling from shore. Tobacco bay beach is great for snorkeling from shore and easy too!

• Like 1