Price of Speciality Restaurants - What is Their Strategy?

On 4/26/2022 at 8:15 PM, rudeney said:

I think the "18 and up" was what got my wife's attention.  The older we get, the less tolerant we are for children who were not taught to behave by their parents.  It's gotten so bad, we have a hard time eating out. 

The thing we like about RCI is that while they do cater to "active families", they still provide a lot of things for older adults to enjoy.  I am expecting our next cruise (NE/CA) will be mostly adult.  I think if we did try another cruise line, SWMBO might be enticed by Virgin, but Celebrity would probably be more our style.  

Or maybe Princess…

In reading about the UDP and the other speciality dining packages, no one seems to mention the wine discount… we have in the past found that a very nice perk with the dining package! 

Has anyone had experience with take away and the UDP at Izumi or other specialty restaurants… we have a balcony on our upcoming Alaska cruise and hope to be able to enjoy the scenery as we eat in the fresh air!

On 4/26/2022 at 11:09 AM, rudeney said:

The issue I have with the extra-cost restaurant pricing is two-fold.  First, they price themselves like a very nice on-shore venue, but the quality is rarely comparable.  Second, the cruise fare already includes food in the other restaurants (Windjammer, MDR, etc.), but that value seems to not be considered in the extra-cost restaurant pricing.  In other words, if my MDR meal is worth $20, then I pay $60 for Chops, I'm effectively having an $80 meal.  Chops is nowhere near the quality of an $80 meal.  In fact, I don't think it's up to the standards of a $60 meal.  

Chops not up to McDonalds standards. First filet medium cooked to about 200 degrees shoe leather. 2nd medium rare cooked to maybe 50 degrees. A millimeter of sear and the rest refrigerator cold and dark red. Finally medium rare cooked to about 120 which was at least edible.