Price of Speciality Restaurants - What is Their Strategy?

We obtained the UDP for our upcoming cruise for $179 for the week. That's a pretty good deal. But, I note that the non-discounted price of Chops is $64.99. That is simply too high. I've never been blown away by dinner in Chops as it has been mediocre to good.

I used to think that the lessening the quality of the food in the MDR was to push people into the specialty restaurants. Now, maybe they are still trying to do that but want to encourage the purchase of the packages?

16 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

Now, maybe they are still trying to do that but want to encourage the purchase of the packages?

Don't bother trying to figure out the "why" behind RCI's decision - it is usually just a $$$ grab.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Surprised this is even a question. Everything RCI does is focused on generating more revenue. 

As is, IMO, the justifiable case with most cruise lines since the restart.  It will ultimately be scaled by market demand. Not unlike many business.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

25 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

As is, IMO, the justifiable case with most cruise lines since the restart.  It will ultimately be scaled by market demand. Not unlike many business.

Hopefully you are right. It’s also possible it could be scaled up by market demand. I have read many comments online that complain about the recent higher prices in cruise planner. However, that is feedback from only a small percentage (less than 1%) of passengers. There could be a large majority of people out there that don’t have an issue with the current prices. 

The upcharge for specialty restaurants is absurd at $65pp!  The service and food might be better than MDR, but not that much.  I'd be happy if they just put a Texas Roadhouse on the ship.  I almost prefer their $20 steak dinner over a $100 "experience".

Just now, PhillyFan33579 said:

Hopefully you are right. It’s also possible it could be scaled up by market demand. I have read many comments online that complain about the recent higher prices in cruise planner. However, that is feedback from only a small percentage (less than 1%) of passengers. There could be a large majority of people out there that don’t have an issue with the current prices. 

Yeah and I'm just saying if you look at retail prices at the grocery stores today, etc., and the fact that there has been $0 revenue for so long with the cruise lines, increases in on board add-ons are likely to show an increase to help generate more immediate on board revenue.  It seems thus far as though in general the stateroom fares have been relatively stable, but that IMO is likely to change as well with demand - as you indicate -  increasing now. 🙂

2 minutes ago, rudeney said:

The upcharge for specialty restaurants is absurd at $65pp!  The service and food might be better than MDR, but not that much.  I'd be happy if they just put a Texas Roadhouse on the ship.  I almost prefer their $20 steak dinner over a $100 "experience".

Oasis's Portside BBQ addresses that concept better IMO and is great!  Unfortunately it is not a fleet wide option.

• Like 1

I am wondering if the backlog of FCC is a factor. 

I am sailing in June. Will be 1sr cruise for boyfriend. I want him to have the " basic" cruise. Inside cabin, no packages . And this is the only way to know if he enjoys cruising 

I will share my diamond drinks with Him and we will do lunch at chops for his birthday :))

Strategy - To make money!!

After taking land based vacations in the states while cruising was shut down and having to pay for dinner at resorts or local eateries, I will gladly pay the extra for UDP for the week. I enjoy the option of going anywhere on board for dinner. Prior to covid I was dead set against paying extra for food. But now after paying $150/night for dinner at land based resorts, $169 for the week for UDP no problem.  And I still can't believe I'm paying extra for food on a cruise but resort restaurants put it all in perspective for me. O and don't get me started on land based resort costs, just for the room. GEEZ!!!  I'm so happy cruising is back!!  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, artvlay said:

I think the charging of gratuities on the upscale meals is absolutely the biggest hustle. We are already paying tips.

That, as you likely are aware, has been the policy for a number of years.  And while it is true that you are already paying gratuities for the wait staff, that typically covers those in the MDR, Windjammer, and other similar included venues.  The specialty restaurants have their own wait staff that in my understanding, do not participate in the standard daily gratuity program.  I was told that the specialty restaurant gratuity that is added is to cover the staff at the various SR venues.  And as it is your choice to dine there, it is your option that the gratuity is charged.

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Oasis's Portside BBQ addresses that concept better IMO and is great!  Unfortunately it is not a fleet wide option.

The problem with this is that competitors, like Carnival's Mardi Gras are including the similar Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ as a complimentary eatery.  Same with Guy's Burgers vs. Johnny Rockets.  

My biggest wish for RCCL ships is to have a complimentary poolside eatery (even it it's just burgers, etc.)...

• Like 1

The UDP is a better value on the larger ships and might be a decent value on the smaller ships if you take advantage of lunch.  Our next cruise is on Voyager, and the choices are Chops, Izumi (no hibachi) and Giovanni's.  My wife probably won't eat at Izumi but once (and that's only if I shame her into not making me eat alone).  We usually have a late breakfast so we don't really eat lunch except for snacks.  UDP is $249/pp, so we will pass on it.  I might buy the 3-dinner option, just so we can try each one.  

8 minutes ago, rudeney said:

The UDP is a better value on the larger ships and might be a decent value on the smaller ships if you take advantage of lunch.  Our next cruise is on Voyager, and the choices are Chops, Izumi (no hibachi) and Giovanni's.  My wife probably won't eat at Izumi but once (and that's only if I shame her into not making me eat alone).  We usually have a late breakfast so we don't really eat lunch except for snacks.  UDP is $249/pp, so we will pass on it.  I might buy the 3-dinner option, just so we can try each one.  

Agree with that completely.  The only time we have every done the UDP was on Symphony because of the number of SR choices available. Other wise the 3 SR package is typically more than enough for us.  (We also have a Diamond+ BOGO benefit which we have to take into consideration as well).  And also agree that $249 on Voyager is a lot and not a great value IMO.

We booked the UDP on our Oasis cruise for May. My UDP rate including 18% tips was for 2 $434.20/2 = $217.10 each.

Seven evenings/$217.10 = $31/meal that includes tip. 

I didn't even figure in the Sea Day lunches which we have 4 Sea Days.

Now, where can you go and get a meal like those in any Specialty Restaurant for $31/meal including tip?

Oh yes, I forgot to include the 4 free lunches, too.

Check out the other cruise lines and see what they charge for a UDP.

The UDP is probably one of the better values out there if you like a more intimate dinner setting. I agree its best on the Oasis class ships, but we just got off Navigator and really got great value from the UDP as a whole. We had 2 lunches, 4 dinners and went to Playmakers for snacks, wings, apps about 4x, and we only paid 99.00 per person.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cynt said:

Strategy - To make money!!

After taking land based vacations in the states while cruising was shut down and having to pay for dinner at resorts or local eateries, I will gladly pay the extra for UDP for the week. I enjoy the option of going anywhere on board for dinner. Prior to covid I was dead set against paying extra for food. But now after paying $150/night for dinner at land based resorts, $169 for the week for UDP no problem.  And I still can't believe I'm paying extra for food on a cruise but resort restaurants put it all in perspective for me. O and don't get me started on land based resort costs, just for the room. GEEZ!!!  I'm so happy cruising is back!!  

We went to Vegas when our Sept 2021 cruise was canceled.  It is Vegas but we never walked away with less than $100 for most meals for 2 of us. I will gladly pay the $168 we paid for the UDP. I broke it down to we would not eat out at home for $24 per person.  The service is what makes us get UDP each cruise, I think the food is better than the MDR but the service has always been amazing with the UDP and it is not long and drawn out like the MDR felt to us.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 8:36 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Surprised this is even a question. Everything RCI does is focused on generating more revenue. 

What company does not do that?

13 hours ago, Intent2smile said:

We went to Vegas when our Sept 2021 cruise was canceled.  It is Vegas but we never walked away with less than $100 for most meals for 2 of us. I will gladly pay the $168 we paid for the UDP. I broke it down to we would not eat out at home for $24 per person.  The service is what makes us get UDP each cruise, I think the food is better than the MDR but the service has always been amazing with the UDP and it is not long and drawn out like the MDR felt to us.

Heck, locally (NOT a big city), dinner for 2 will run $60 or more.