What if I use Gift cards to pay then have to cancel?

Just wondering if anyone has had this experience.  I just purchased the gift card to use on a cruise I am hoping to book today, but then thought - what if I need to cancel?  How would the refund be processed?  If I purchased HAL travel protection or if I get it from an outside source?  Any insight would be appreciated!

Happens to me several times since covid

original trip was purchased with all gift card

you will never see the cash again

always gift card refund only 

and it’s not fast or easy

all three years. Call after call confusion after confusion. 
always works out but it’s a lot of work and keeping on them 

sometimes they even reload the exact card so don’t toss them out

• Thanks 1

Going through this as well.

It is best to keep track of your card numbers and where you applied them as that is where it will refund to. Your confirmation will contain the last 4 digits of the card to help verify. It has taken me some time to figure this out as I have used alot of cards over the last year.

I am still waiting for a refund to a gift card on an Alaska excursion HAL cancelled a week ago. It's a pain if you want to use that credit now.

Just an update as I am working through this - there wording at the end of my cancellation confirmation states

If you applied gift card(s) to the cancelled items, a new digital gift card will be sent to the email address associated with booking number within 2-3 business days. If you have questions regarding your gift card refund, please contact Gift Card Support at 1-855-501-4161. 

This has never been the case for me. It has been refunded back to the original card unfortunately.

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

Just an update as I am working through this - there wording at the end of my cancellation confirmation states

If you applied gift card(s) to the cancelled items, a new digital gift card will be sent to the email address associated with booking number within 2-3 business days. If you have questions regarding your gift card refund, please contact Gift Card Support at 1-855-501-4161. 

This has never been the case for me. It has been refunded back to the original card unfortunately.

Just my opinion, but I’ve noticed that what HAL states and what HAL does is often two different things. 

2 hours ago, MountainsAndRivers said:

Yup, refunded to gift cards, I have had to keep a spreadsheet to track over the last two years.  Mostly they refund to the original card, but I have also had a couple where they issued a new card.  Not sure the rhyme or reason...

One more update and enlightenment..

I have been waiting for about 2 weeks for a refund to a gift card for an Alaska excursion cancelled by HAL. I just received the same email I received when the card was issued. The card was initially a $1000 card which was fully redeemed but now $419 was to be credited back.

The email came in as the original "congratulations... you have $1000 gift card" . When I view it, It is the same original card but now when I check the balance it is $419. 

I had a glimmer of hope it reverted back to the $1000 somehow. (-: