Getting from Venice, Italy port to Hotel Flora

putins

Hello,

I am new to the forum; my question is: My wife and I are crusing from Athens to Venice in a few months. In my research, it seems to be a difficult task to get from the port to our hotel, without paying an arm-and-a-leg. The place we are staying at is the Hotel Flora. The hotel suggests we find a taxi by the taxi jetty at the port, take a private taxi to the Trinita', the cost being about 75 Euro. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

Putins:p

the only way to get around venice is by foot or by water taxi or water bus- some of the fancier hotels have a private water taxi service but i dont know if thats free-----------------your post reads like you were told to take the taxi to a certain stop----------you will most likely have to handle your own luggage to the hotel --unless you ask them if they will send a bellman to the taxi stop to helpl with your luggage ---imo the best place to be in venice is as close to st marks square as possible

As the above poster mentioned getting around Venice is really limited to water craft or by foot. In checking out the Hotel Flora's web site and looking at their map for the hotel location it looks like you are close to St Marks square.

http://www.hotelflora.it/en/

But that may still not make it easy to get from a water bus stop to your hotel because there may be bridges, which usually have steps instead of ramps, and are difficult to get luggage, especially heavy pieces of luggage from a cruise, across.

One thing you might think about doing is what we did when we stayed in Venice after our Golden Princess cruise in 2003. We bought the Princess transportation from the ship to the airport, where we would ultimately be flying out of. Then we had them transport our luggage to the airport where we checked the larger bags at the "held Luggage office" there. It is on the lower level of the airport in the one corner. Then we gathered up our carry-on luggage that could be more easily carried and that we had repacked with what we needed for our 4 day stay in a local Venice hotel and boarded the airport waterbus (10 euros or so per person). In your case you would take it to its stop near St Marks and then you could walk from there to your hotel with your carry-on luggage. When we were done with our stay we again caught the airport water bus with our carry-on's now full of dirty laundry and went back to the airport and picked up our other luggage at the held luggage office and caught our flight home.

While it did take a little extra time to make the trip out to the airport by bus the last morning of our cruise and then a little more time coming back to Venice by waterbus, it still seemed a lot better idea than trying to haul all our luggage around in Venice. It also avoided the expensive water taxi trip both from the port to the hotel and then again from the hotel to the airport which could have easily cost 150 or more euros for both.

Check out this web site for additional information on Venice and transportation options.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Of course if you aren't flying home after your stay at the hotel in Venice this option wouldn't work. There are also held luggage offices at the Venice railroad station and there may even be one at the Venice port although I'm not sure about that location.

Good luck and have a great next cruise and fantastic time in Venice.

Putins,

First of all welcome to Cruise Critic.

Getting from the port to your hotel will not be easy. Our hotel was on the grand lagoon so we have done it and we shared a water taxi with another couple from our ship. It is very well organized, there is a desk where you pick up your luggage in the terminal and they organized for another couple to share. I think it cost us around $60-65US.

If you are staying near St. Marks Square then the only way is to use the water taxis as it is impossible to get your luggage over all the bridges if you get a land taxi to the station and then walk.

It is just part of the expense of having the privilege of staying in Venice, which is a wonderful experience.

You may find more answers to your question if you go to the Europe section of this Board as many people have similiar questions.

Jennie

HAL has a transfer to P. Roma for $10US pp. A cab will cost 15 Euros with a tip, but not sure how available they are at the terminal - we did it the other way round.

At P. Roma you can get a vaporetto - buy tickets at a booth on the East side of the square - if you are staying for a few days, get a 3 or 7 day pass - you will use it and save a bundle. Vaporetto # 1 or #82 takes you to S. Marco. I think there is only one bridge from the pier to your hotel going by the website. If you have rolling luggage that is a nuisance, but not too big a problem. If you have carrying luggage, you may want the more expensive water taxi to take you closer to the hotel.

The suggestion about leaving your luggage may work, but it depends how long you will be in Venice and what clothes you need. I do not think there are any lockers at the cruise terminal.

My concern would be rain. If it rains in Venice - it did for 2 days when we were there in October - you cannot avoid it. You cannot just jump in a cab and go to your destination. You must walk or take a boat, and probably walk to get the boat.

Have a great cruise and enjoy Venice.

Make sure the Trinita stop is very close to your hotel. Email your hotel to find out. If not, then you might want to consider finding a hotel with a water stop of its own or very near.

Advertise on your roll call thread to share with someone. We had 3 couples on our water taxi and it worked out quite well. We and another couple were staying at the Locanda Orseola, which has its own water window. The water taxi pulls right up to the window and lets you out.

All of you in your party need to disembark from the ship at the same time and get in the same water taxi line. They will find you a taxi and tell you the number of the taxi and where it will dock. While you are in the taxi line, others in your party should get a porter to take your luggage to the dock where the water taxi is. We tipped both the porters and the water taxi driver.

The Locanda Orseola is a fabulous small hotel right on the canal where all the gondolas go by. We asked for a canal front room and got it. We were serenaded by the gondoliers as they went by. It was glorious! The hotel itself was beautiful and very quaint. The complimentary morning breakfast was a feast. I can't recommend this facility enough.

Good luck and have a wonderful time on your cruise and in Venice.

The best way to do this is to take the $10 transfer to Piazzale Roma (the train station). There, you can easily find porters who will go with you on the vaporetto and handle the luggage all the way to the front desk of the hotel. Just tell them the hotel and ask for the price.

Hello,

I am new to the forum; my question is: My wife and I are crusing from Athens to Venice in a few months. In my research, it seems to be a difficult task to get from the port to our hotel, without paying an arm-and-a-leg. The place we are staying at is the Hotel Flora. The hotel suggests we find a taxi by the taxi jetty at the port, take a private taxi to the Trinita', the cost being about 75 Euro. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

Putins:p

How long are you going to be in Venice? We started there on our Cruise last May and we stayed for 3 days prior to the cruise. We purchased the Venice Card and it was wonderful. We got all of our transportation, museum entrances and (somewhat important to some;) ) it lets you into the CLEAN bathrooms. It was soooo easy. We stayed at the Hotel Diana just past Saint Mark's and it was an easy walk. We mapped the whole thing out on the net and believe or not we walked straight to our hotel.

You are going to love it:D

Need any info you can e-mail me at mrskmirolla at aol dot com

Kathy

The Flora is our favorite Venice hotel. It's not the bargain it was in 1972 ( the price has increased every year since then); however, it's a wonderful choice and it is in the best possible location.

Getting there with luggage from a cruise will be expensive and difficult. I agree with one of the posters that your best bet is to check the luggage.

Get a transfer from the cruise to the Marco Polo airport. There is an out building there for luggage checking. Get a shuttle bus from the main terminal to the baggage check. From there, it is a two minute walk to the Alilaguna which is the public motor launch. The price last time was 10 Euros per person each way. It's fine to carry only a shoulder bag into Venice.

I don't know where "Trinita" stop is, but you can look it up by going to a web site for the Vaporetti. We always got off the Alilaguna at San Marco, walked into the square, turned left into the main section, and walked out the far left corner exit onto Largo XXII Marzo. Then follow the street past hotels, shops, banks, etc. until you see a little sign for The Flora Hotel on the left side of the street above an alley. It is lovely.

When you need to leave Venice, return to the baggage check via Alilaguana. You will be on the grounds of the airport where a shuttle bus will take you to the terminal.

The location of Hotel Flora puts you near San Marco, the shopping areas, the Rialto Bridge, the opera house and many nice restaurants.

Lucky you! A cruise and a stopover in Venice. Can we join you?

Archived