May 22 Eclipse to Alaska cancelled Holland America??

Barbara60

So i am guessing an Alaskan cruise?

we cruised HAL for Alaska for the ports and enjoyed it very much except for the food as we love food style as on Celebrity

Ship not as glossy elegant but old fashioned elegant

I am on a Princess cruise , followed immediately by 2 Celebrity cruises so toggling back and forth and got confused so got confused about which line

Edited by Kiran
Confusing Celebrity with Princess
  • Like 1

I'm on the June 5th Eclipse cruise and was looking at available HAL cruises during the same week in case my cruise was canceled due to the barnacle debacle.  Sorry that it ended up being your cruise,  but I would have taken the refund and cruised HAL if mine was canceled. Before Covid,  my last 5 cruises to AK have been on HAL, they normally deliver a very good experience.  The Koningdam ( a newer ship) sails the 21st out of Vancouver and goes to Glacier Bay, which is spectacular.  It comes down to what you can schedule,  but I think you'd have a great cruise on HAL too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barbara60 said:

Should I jump ship to HAL or change my dates for Eclipse til June??? I haven't sailed on either line so I am at a loss which to choose

We used to sail with HAL quite a bit, but about 4-5 years ago they just got too relaxed (boring) for us and we’re in our late 60s. Here are a variety of June 2022 Princess cruises to Alaska which IMHO would probably be a lot more fun!

And if you budget can afford it and there are some still available, I’d definitely recommend an aft-facing cabin so you can see the scenery and any wildlife on both sides of the ship from your balcony as well as from the aft. 

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/results?trade=A&date=0622

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

This was my retirement cruise which has been on my bucket list for years. We just received the cancellation email from Celebrity.  I am waiting to hear from my travel agent as to what to do.  Pick another ship?  Cancel altogether?  Wait till Covid testing is gone as that was stressing me out?  What to do, what to do?

• Like 1

Barbara60, I suggest perhaps rebooking for later in the Summer on Celebrity Eclipse.

This is a wonderful ship and the food is great, especially if you book Aqua Class and eat in Blu.

We are booked on Celebrity Eclipse for a August Alaska cruise, which will be our 4th attempt at seeing Alaska!

• Like 1

Celebrity is my favourite line but I have sailed with both Celebrity and Princess to Alaska and I think Princess did it just a bit better. I have heard the same about HAL too when it comes to Alaska. Both lines go to Glacier Bay which is spectacular and Celebrity does not.

The Eclipse and Koningsdam are both great ships. I just got off a mini cruise on the Koningsdam and was very impressed. The service was fantastic and the entertainment very good, in particular the BB King Blues Bar. If you go with the Koningsdam I would highly recommend Rudi’s Sel De Mer specialty restaurant and/or Tamarind Grill.

• Like 3

Our first Alaska inside passage cruise was on HAL (7 day RT from Seattle) in 2019. Enjoyed the park rangers who climbed onboard to give narration during the Glacier Bay cruising. We also enjoyed a presentation from native Alaskans. Staff served pea soup on the Helipad that was open to everyone to get a closer view of the glacier. Once, the captain announced a bear sighting on shore...and we all hurried to a window! 

Our next Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seward is on the Millie; I am sure it will be just as enjoyable (but maybe no pea soup!!)

• Like 2

I'd go for itinerary over ship in Alaska! Holland and Princess have better sailings IMO. If this is a special sailing or a once in a lifetime, meaning not a repeat then I'd jump ship. 😁

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Barbara60 said:

Should I jump ship to HAL or change my dates for Eclipse til June??? I haven't sailed on either line so I am at a loss which to choose

If it's difficult to change your dates, the Koningsdam sails a very similar itinerary one day earlier on May 21st, also out of Vancouver. Prices look pretty good, but they'll be difficult to match the 25% off price Celebrity is offering if you're able to move your cruise. We've been on both the Eclipse and Koningsdam and very much enjoy them both.

On 5/5/2022 at 8:25 PM, habari said:

This was my retirement cruise which has been on my bucket list for years. We just received the cancellation email from Celebrity.  I am waiting to hear from my travel agent as to what to do.  Pick another ship?  Cancel altogether?  Wait till Covid testing is gone as that was stressing me out?  What to do, what to do?

Our travel agent has booked us into Holland American test sails on 21st. It’s my husbands 60th birthday celebration bucket list trip including the Rocky mountaineer 

• Like 1