The retreat on Iona , what's it like , is it sociable ?

Windsurfboy

Has anyone used the retreat, what's it like , is there plenty of space, can you move in and out of shade , is it sociable. 

We have a big balcony  at the back , but it seems a bit unsociable to lock ourselves away , we my wife especially thinks  half the fun of a cruise is talking to others.  Yet don't fancy the daily fight for sun beds . Should we use the retreat.

• We cruised for 2 the last two weeks in March.  Upon boarding there was an offer for length of cruise pass for the retreat for £145.  We went most days to avoid the busy deck area, and we had an inside cabin.  The staff were wonderful, and would chat to us each day, brought tea, coffee, juice throughout the day.  Meals rotated every three days, chicken salad, prawn salad.  Afternoon tea and breakfast was also provided.  Talking with the crew in the area, and taking time to be interested in them I feel is important, and I was always welcomed as soon as I arrived at the area, with a cup of tea as soon as I sat down!
  • It wasn’t really sociable, most people kept to themselves, apart from a general greeting, although this would depend on the cruise.
  • The area, is small but secluded, it can get very windy at times, there are blankets and robes if you need to keep warmer, I found the hot tubs warmer than other areas, and of course being an adult only area, no little children in the hot tubs.
  • The numbers are limited, and there are enough places to sit or lounge, between the different areas, although you still get the chair hogs who placed their towels at 8am and turned up at two pm. You can move around the furniture, staff will help you do this.
  • For the price we paid it was worth it, however I didn’t feel it was worth the £40 for a day pass.
  •