A Canadian’s recent quarantine experience on Royal Caribbean

nlcruiser01

3 hours ago, FM said:

The detail and depth of information you provided @Trazz007 is excellent.  Dismayed to read about how icky (politely speaking) your quarantine conditions were onboard the ship.  It is fortunate that your port of disembarkation was in Canada; as noted on the Gov of Canada website -- 

• If you test positive while on your cruise, and the cruise ends in Canada, you will need to complete your isolation in Canada as organized and paid for by the operator. 

As per our TA, it is up to yourself to arrange and pay for any period of isolation if you disembark at a US port.  Can only imagine the level of concern one may have if one is flying down from Canada to SEA for a 7-day round trip Alaskan cruise and one tests positive while down in the US.

Is there a contact person at your hotel that is monitoring your status and thus able to give or provide clearance for you to return home once quarantine is completed? 

@FM, there is no contact person in the hotel. I did get contacted by Health Canada today (over the phone) and got a bit more info on what happens next. No clearance or test is needed to leave the quarantine hotel at the end, it just have to be 10 days after your positive test. I will post an update with details shortly. 

Update on the hotel quarantine stay

It’s been a couple of days since I arrived to the hotel and it’s way better than the ship quarantine. I fixed the room service situation by downloading one of food delivery apps and adding my room number to the notes for the delivery address. I never used the app before (small town, no such luxuries) but it was easy to figure out. It worked really well, fresh hot food just appears outside my door now 🙂. I never used the app before (small town, no such luxuries) but it was easy to figure out. One advise is to only order hot food from restaurants in a close proximity (2-3 kms). 

My spouse is still negative for COVID and has no symptoms. I am beginning to suspect that he might be one of the few lucky people with a genetic mutation that blocks COVID from infecting. Come to think of it, his mom and sister both had a lot of exposure to COVID (working in public school, close contacts of positive cases) but never got it. 

There are no daily phone checks with border services or police like they had earlier in the pandemic. It is pretty much an honour system. I did get a call from Health Canada today to verify the details of my COVID diagnosis, my past and current symptoms and my quarantine arrangements (hotel and room number). A couple of important things:

* According to Health Canada 10 day quarantine officially starts on the day of the first positive test result (including self-administered rapid test). In my case, it means that my quarantine will be over a day earlier since my own test showed positive result on Sunday. So I will be free on Wednesday. It’s a bit of work to change my flight again so I will have a vacation day in Vancouver and go home Thursday. RCL is paying for hotel and food until Thursday anyways since they authorized 6 days of quarantine instead of 5. 
* I have not had any COVID symptoms for a few days now. Health Canada confirmed that I won’t need any clearance to leave the hotel at the end of the quarantine. I won’t  need a negative test either. They also confirmed that this is the last call I will be getting a call from them. I am not sure if the rules are any different for passengers who still have symptoms. 

A bit of sad news today. This morning there were a couple of ambulances at the hotel with the police arriving soon after. It appears that someone was in medical distress and passed away. I don’t any details but there was no online reports of any crimes in the area. I hope this was not one of the more frail COVID-positive passengers from the cruise. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/22/2022 at 1:58 PM, nlcruiser01 said:

Hi FM, you call it "fortuitous" but prior to this cruise, my husband always described my planning as "obsessive".  Not anymore!!   I've been home almost a month and still no sign of the remaining refunds RCL owes us.  I'm still waiting on a call back from 2 weeks ago re: this.  I'm glad I didn't agree to pay up front for the costs RCL ultimately paid as per the contract. 

He was given Acetaminophen for his fever, Nyquil and cough drops.  Thankfully he didn't become ill enough to require Remdesivir or any other anti-virals. 

Thank you. Was curious how they would 'treat' anyone aboard a cruise with COVID other than with anti-virals.

I would not let up with RCL and keep on them re: the remaining refund.  Good luck.

On 5/22/2022 at 4:26 PM, Trazz007 said:

@FM, there is no contact person in the hotel. I did get contacted by Health Canada today (over the phone) and got a bit more info on what happens next. No clearance or test is needed to leave the quarantine hotel at the end, it just have to be 10 days after your positive test. I will post an update with details shortly. 

I am quite surprised to see much of an 'honour system' it is now, considering how obsessive the 'authorities' were in the beginning.

With so many now chafing at any type of restrictions it is refreshing to see someone like yourself take the situation seriously.  We are tentatively booked for a SEA Alaskan round-trip but wondering if we should take a look at departing or returning to VAN instead.   

8 hours ago, FM said:

I am quite surprised to see much of an 'honour system' it is now, considering how obsessive the 'authorities' were in the beginning.

With so many now chafing at any type of restrictions it is refreshing to see someone like yourself take the situation seriously.  We are tentatively booked for a SEA Alaskan round-trip but wondering if we should take a look at departing or returning to VAN instead.   

I finally got an email from government of Canada telling me to quarantine (on my second last day of the quarantine but better later than never). The email threatened a million dollar fine and 3 years in prison if I didn’t  comply. It also said that I was supposed to be informed about all the requirements of the quarantine at the border as I entered Canada. This never happened since COVID passengers did not go through the customs or the border control. 
I believe there is a single purpose for this 10 day quarantine for the cruise passengers who test positive while on the ship. It is to make it very expensive for the cruise ship companies to have uncontrollable spread of COVID on the ships. As an infectious disease control measure it is pure nonsense to have a few hundred people quarantining for 10 days while the rest of the country no longer does anything to prevent the spread. It make sense to quarantine while on the ship but once on shore, the local regulations should apply.

I am not sure which is better: Seattle or Vancouver as a return port. Cruise companies will only cover the quarantine costs if the government makes them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Trazz007 said:

I finally got an email from government of Canada telling me to quarantine (on my second last day of the quarantine but better later than never). The email threatened a million dollar fine and 3 years in prison if I didn’t  comply. It also said that I was supposed to be informed about all the requirements of the quarantine at the border as I entered Canada. This never happened since COVID passengers did not go through the customs or the border control. 
I believe there is a single purpose for this 10 day quarantine for the cruise passengers who test positive while on the ship. It is to make it very expensive for the cruise ship companies to have uncontrollable spread of COVID on the ships. As an infectious disease control measure it is pure nonsense to have a few hundred people quarantining for 10 days while the rest of the country no longer does anything to prevent the spread. It make sense to quarantine while on the ship but once on shore, the local regulations should apply.

I am not sure which is better: Seattle or Vancouver as a return port. Cruise companies will only cover the quarantine costs if the government makes them.

I don't understand the paranoia. The quarantine requirement is a matter of law and applies across the board, regardless of method of transportation. Anyone entering Canada by any means who is COVID positive is required to quarantine for 10 days. 

In fact the government is making an exception allowing COVID positive non-Canadians entry into the country. Had it not, cruising would likely not have restarted.

On 5/19/2022 at 5:47 PM, jpnr said:

We are booked on a 51 nt. b2b Australia/ New Zealand cruise on HAL in October departing SEA. Just wondering if one of us tests positive will be asked to leave the ship in Sydney before the 2nd leg or will they let us stay on in quarantine. Is it still 10 days of isolation or are they reducing it to 5 days?

Hello just an FYI we had b2b2b booked and tested positive on the second leg. We were on HAL and we asked to stay onboard for our quarantine but we were told we had to quarantine off the ship.  Not sure if that was from HAL or the Canadian government. 

On 5/9/2022 at 9:15 PM, nlcruiser01 said:

Sure, it was the Vancouver Sheraton Airport Hotel.  He was very pleased with the service and the food; however, the geese who served as his wake up call every morning were rather annoying!!   At check out he met a Canadian gentleman from a HAL cruise who was also quarantined there.  

Hello. Thanks for all the info. We also were

in quarantine at the Sheraton airport Vancouver hotel. We thought it was dated and not the nicest. We didn’t order from their menu but used slip the dishes. The geese and birds woke us up as well!

I felt like we were treated well onboard the koningsdam. But the follow up…there’s been none. I have emailed HAL and our TA and haven’t heard from either.  Calling HAL is next

3 hours ago, everbeentoseabilly said:

Hello just an FYI we had b2b2b booked and tested positive on the second leg. We were on HAL and we asked to stay onboard for our quarantine but we were told we had to quarantine off the ship.  Not sure if that was from HAL or the Canadian government. 

It’s definitely HAL. Canadian government does not care where you quarantine for 10 days, either one is fine. It makes sense that all cruise ship companies prefer hotels: zero responsibility for your health and more quarantine cabins available for the next round of COVID passengers.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 4:47 PM, nlcruiser01 said:

Hi Tottenhamfc, I thought you were on board with us as I'd seen your name in the CC group for that sail date.  I agree with your comment with respect to the "reckless element".   People looked at my husband and I like we were from another planet as we walked around inside wearing our KN95 masks.  I noticed many staff who weren't wearing them correctly either.  I very politely asked our waiter in Giovanni's to pull his mask up over his nose and he was none too impressed.   Glad you avoided the virus on your B2B. 

I have to say, I sailed Carnival the end of March and did not see one employee wear a mask improperly or remove it at any time around guests.  

I sailed MSC this month and constantly observed staff members wearing it below their noses, having it off and putting it on when someone appeared and actually moving the mask from their mouth to speak. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your stories. I am having second thoughts about my cruise.I have a final payment due for a pacific coastal. The good thing is its covered under cruise with confidence. The bad thing is as it ends in la i would be quarantining there. I’m inclined to fly to san francisco instead and holiday that way although it sounds like i could pick up covid at the airport.. However i’m thinking of cruising to alaska in the spring. As i would be able to quarantine in vancouver (i’m from vancouver) it would be better. And lets hope covid is gone by then!

• 1 month later...

A quick update on the COVID cruise refund and quarantine reimbursement. I wish I could say that it was over but almost 2 months later it is still ongoing. 

The good:

I got refunded for the shore excursions missed due to COVID in full and quickly. I also got refunded my cruise fare for the days in quarantine (but not the taxes or gratuities). 

The bad:

My spouse had to quarantine for a day as a close contact, they promised cruise fare refund for that day but it is still not done. I also requested gratuity refund for my days in quarantine (given the poor treatment I received) but still nothing.

The ugly:

The reimbursement for hotel quarantine and food was very disorganized. Nobody seemed to know how to handle it. I was promised multiple times that someone will contact me the next week and nobody ever did. I was told by Royal Caribbean staff on the ship to pay for quarantine accommodation and the food in US dollars. They would cover each day up to $250 US for hotel and $100 US for food. However, once I submitted my expenses to Royal Caribbean, their story changed. They said that hotel is only covered for $100 US and everything has to be reimbursed in Canadian dollars. I spent more than 5 hours on the phone over several days. I eventually got reimbursement on the second last day before my credit card bill was due. They converted the amounts back and forth to Canadian and US dollars at a special exchange rate. Ultimately I ended up getting back $130 US less than I paid. I will have to call them back again to try to sort it out. 

The conclusion:

Do not cruise with Royal Caribbean if you think you might catch COVID. Whatever fun you might have on the ship is not worth the pain of dealing with the cruise ship company afterwards. 

If you do catch COVID on the ship, make sure they arrange and pay for your onshore accommodation and food. Refuse to leave the ship if it is not done. In Canada, they are required to take care of your quarantine. This will save you a lot of headaches later on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1