Review of cruise to date

PasadenaDave

Thank you for this great review. Based on your Venice experience, how would you envision that being a turnaround port - meaning you would have three full days and I believe two nights on the ship? We’ve been to Venice before -and are attracted to an itinerary that Viking does with this scenario. I just wonder how well that would work, or if it might be better to find another itinerary that starts or stops there and spend separate time in Venice. 

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for this great review. Based on your Venice experience, how would you envision that being a turnaround port - meaning you would have three full days and I believe two nights on the ship? We’ve been to Venice before -and are attracted to an itinerary that Viking does with this scenario. I just wonder how well that would work, or if it might be better to find another itinerary that starts or stops there and spend separate time in Venice. 

We arrived in Fusina at noon and we debarked the next morning.  Those continuing on the next leg had the day we debarked and the next day for a total of 2 1/2 days.  The challenge is transfer time from ship to cruise terminal to St Marks or other destination.

I like starting or ending a cruise in Venice, but with limited pier space and additional cost for transport for cruise lines I wonder how feasible this is longterm.  The bus route to Fusina goes through residential areas and the number of busses needed for a larger ship of 2,000 passengers plus would not work.  50 bus trips minimum to transfer 2,000 people.

I don’t know how many left the ship on our cruise but it took likely 2 hours to have say 300 leave the ship by bus and I wonder if it was that many, there were I think 750 on the cruise, but many continued on to Rome or Barcelona.

The other thing to consider is that due to some issue, the cruise that was Venice to Istanbul two weeks prior left from Ravenna.  I think a 90 minute bus ride south.

Thank you so much for this further information. While not what we all experienced in the past as visitors to Venice, I believe that Viking has certainly secured a more favorable docking space at times than other lines. Clearly, even with this advantage, it will not improve until likely years from now -  so it does present some pause for turn around Venice itineraries. 

I am not even sure I want to include Venice on my itinerary if it is going to be so difficult...reminds me of  referring to LeHarve as Paris OR Warnemunde as Berlin.  IMO not worth the bus or train ride for those cities,  Although both ports have other delightful excursions offered!

• Like 2

Dave - thanks for your informative review...very helpful for our Aug 27, 2022, Istanbul to Venice (Fusina or wherever) cruise.  For those interested, there is also a WIFGrub app that I've been using for years!  This will be our 16th Viking cruise with 3 more booked and 7 canceled the past 3 years...we do enjoy Viking!   Jim

• Thanks 1